The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not had any issues with the fan knob(s) so far. Recently I had some work done on the cooling system of my 2002 Esprit V8, including replacing the hoses and oil "radiator" thing in front of the front driver's wheel. When I was driving it home from the shop finally, I went to turn on the heat, and noticed the fan would not blow. Ugh! I figured that maybe a fuse got blown during the repairs. I then left the car running, with the fan at full blast position. I probed all the fuses in the front bonnet area (didn't get to the back ones), and they all were fine. I went back into the car and noticed the fan was working again?!! Huh? While I'm glad it is, I'm concerned this is the early signs of a bigger problem, either electrical or a bad knob. Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
32 Posts
DAE51D try the relay, $8 or just wack it when the fan isn't working to verify. Simple problem that was intermittent for me for years.-Mike
P.s. Tell us your results

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I went to O'Reilly auto parts and got an "equivalent" relay, but when I plug it in, it doesn't work at all, but re-plugging in my existing Bosch relay it works fine (for now). So I'll probably try again (maybe it was just a bad relay they gave me) and then try ordering a real Bosch one online or something. The fan is blowing currently so perhaps it was just a loose relay and re-seating it was all it needed... keep ya'll posted.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The fuses, particularly up front, tend to get slightly corroded on the terminals. It's a good idea to pull them all one at a time, clean up the terminals and apply some dielectric grease. Will solve a lot of intermittent electrical problems. Same with the relays...

·
Registered
21 Posts
My fan quit working recently, kept blowing fuses. Turned out the grease on the fan motor shaft was old and it couldn't spin easily. Cleaned it up and re-lubed it, and now out works fine.
how did you grease the fan motor, was it easy to do.. can you assist in some comments thanks

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
how did you grease the fan motor, was it easy to do.. can you assist in some comments thanks
I removed the cover over the cabin heater blower fan, removed the fan, removed the motor from the shroud, cleaned it with a Teflon spray lube (Tri-Flow) and spun it till it worked.

So now the fan blows harder than it has for the last 13 years.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I also had the issue with my blower not working, but then suddenly working again, sporadically. I pulled out the start dropout relay, thwacked it in my hand a couple of times, then swapped it with the horn relay (which is of the same type); obviously the horn relay gets less use (yes, even in New York). In any case, both seem now to be working just fine. Thanks to all here for the tip; I'd never have thought to check that particular relay for this problem.
Incidentally, does anyone know what other devices are usually affected by the start dropout relay?

·
Registered
465 Posts
It effects the interior fan thru Fuse A8 and (supposedly) Daytime Running Lights (DRL) on Canadian cars. I think that was it when I looked at the wiring diagram. The relay is shown on wiring diagram sheet 3A.

That said, on my car (with an aftermarket stereo installed) the head unit clearly goes off when cranking the car, which indicates it is effected by the dropout relay.

I used it for my aftermarket cruise control power supply as per the instructions.

FWIW, It is usually called the Unloader Relay in BMW Speak, where it effects a bunch of stuff.

HTH

Stu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts