The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Evora, Persian Blue, 6-speed
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be using a skilled local to do the leather-wrap but he's not much of a problem solver. Thus this is a DIY project (also saves cost that way). I will remove the console and bringing it to him. I am guessing I need to expand the holes for the below buttons to compensate for the leather thickness. Am I right?
- Door lock
- hazard lights
- traction control.

Thank you!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lesson learned: don't ask silly questions. I just took it apart. The hazard switch will fit after the leather is added. The other two buttons will only fit if I cut the leather back to be surface mounted (leather can't wrap under). Same goes for the cigarette lighter: trim the lath back to be surface mount only.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am almost done. All the surface mount buttons went in well. But the Hazard light switch is a b*tch. Too much friction between the recessed button and the leather wrapped recess. Thus the button doesn't want to pop-up after being depressed. I will have to surgically remove some of the leather that is too thick.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
I like that leather wrap better than the Alcantara, although it looks great on a Lambo Alcantara makes the Elise look like you're inside a coffin..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. It is perforated ("golf glove" pattern) leather. I will have installation complete pictures pictures next week. This weekend I am working not playing.

·
Anthony
604 Posts
But the Hazard light switch is a b*tch. Too much friction between the recessed button and the leather wrapped recess. Thus the button doesn't want to pop-up after being depressed.
I had the same problem after a shop wrapped my console in Alcantara... I was never able to get the button to operate 100% smoothly like factory again, but after doing some trimming you should be able to at least get it to pop back up when you want it to. Good luck; looks great!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I trimmed with the Dremmel!

·
Anthony
604 Posts
Nice job :up:

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Very impressive for a DYI job :bow:
Looks like it came from the trim shop :up:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

As you can see in the last photo I extended the leather 3 inches lower than the binnacle relatively seamlessly. Thus the steering wheel column cover was clipped and put under the binnacle (not over, as stock).

·
Registered
212 Posts
So you finally did the leather! But not the door sills... Are you planning to get it in alcantara or just leaving them plastic?

Dont know if you remember me but we talked about the sills at motor4toys.

-Chris

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Chris! I am still just as undecided about the door sills. Probably when I get the free time in a month I'll get to it. I'm thinking of using the same red leather and accept the damage caused by shoes. Also, I could use a harder material in the areas that get hit by shoes.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hey Chris! I am still just as undecided about the door sills. Probably when I get the free time in a month I'll get to it. I'm thinking of using the same red leather and accept the damage caused by shoes. Also, I could use a harder material in the areas that get hit by shoes.
Yeah I bet it would look really nice but, I just hope you wont get marks. Im sure if you clean the leather and everything it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
wow...looks great. Where do you get that leather material from? Is there anywhere online I could buy some pieces?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ordered through a local back alley upholstery shop. He did a lot of the work (cutting and stitching). I did the deconstruct, design, finishing, reassembly.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Old stalks cut out, aluminum stalks in. 10 mins.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts