The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original thread located here- http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/door-locks-not-working-properly-72467/

When I arm the alarm the door locks will not lock... They wiggle a little and you can hear the solenoid trying to move them, but they won't budge. This happens on both doors. I pysically locked them and unlocked them a few times and it started working again, but then failed after about the 10th time. Since then they have gone back to the same issue. They do the exact same thing if I use the switch in the center console. If I psychically push them down to lock the doors and then use the switch or remote they will unlock no problem. It would appear something is binding up in the mechanism. I'm wondering if any one has had the same issue and what the fix was. I'm also interested in any technical diagrams of the internals of the lock assy if any one has them. I removed the door panel and saw that the whole assy it is all enclosed in a black box so I can't see anything :( and I haven't had the time to dig in to it yet.

Your help will be much appreciated..

Chris

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
As it is happening on both doors I conclude that it is a CDL module intermittent issue.The alarm system signals the CDL, so that is an outside possbility too.
Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As it is happening on both doors I conclude that it is a CDL module intermittent issue.The alarm system signals the CDL, so that is an outside possbility too.
Cheers,
Michael
Any idea of where that is mounted on a EU spec right hand drive car? This all started after about 2 weeks of rain and high humidity, so it's possible there is some water, moisture or oxidation in there that's wigging it out. It does seem like maybe it's trying to unlock the doors when it should be locking them so that could be the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
x2

I am having the exact same issue. 2005 federal Elise, no locking problems until last week. Pressing the lock button on the remote or center stack will wiggle the lock plungers (up, almost like they are being unlocked again) but not lower them to locked position. Repeated presses will arm/unarm the alarm and immobilizer as it should but the lock plungers never go down. Operating the plungers by hand works fine. (Once locked by hand, both the remote and center button will unlock the plungers.) Dragon, please let us know if you find a fix.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am having the exact same issue. 2005 federal Elise, no locking problems until last week. Pressing the lock button on the remote or center stack will wiggle the lock plungers (up, almost like they are being unlocked again) but not lower them to locked position. Repeated presses will arm/unarm the alarm and immobilizer as it should but the lock plungers never go down. Operating the plungers by hand works fine. (Once locked by hand, both the remote and center button will unlock the plungers.) Dragon, please let us know if you find a fix.
I'm gong to try to mess around with later on this week. Once I've figured out what the issue is I'll be sure to post it here... Hopefully somebody else will chime in that's already had the problem.. :wave:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a similar problem with my 1st Elise. Turned out the batter just didn't have enough juice. Once I swapped it out, the problem disappeared. Apparently it takes a nice amount of current for the locking mechanism to lock.
Hmm, I'll have to check out my sitting battery voltage and clean the terminals. I do get some water in the trunk every now and then. Will try to knock that out tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I did a bit of trouble shooting today... Tried using the locks with the engine running (should have plenty of power), disconnected the battery, cleaned terminals, reconnected them and still no joy.. :( I was hoping that just disconnecting and reconnecting would maybe reset something, but no luck. I'll have to dig in to it further this weekend..

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dug in to the dash a bit today and found the CDL unit so I now know it's location. Does anyone have a part number for it by any chance. Also a place to order from would be great. Nearest Lotus dealer to me is 1,000 miles away and 990 of those miles are pacific ocean.. :p

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not familiar with the CDL unit, but it requires replacement when it stops working? No connection tightening or realignment, etc.?
It's a circuit board with a chip on it and two relays. When the alarm is triggered it sends a low power voltage pulse to the CDL unit and the CDL unit then pulses 12volts power to the door lock solenoids. One relay is for the lock and the other is to unlock. I believe the lock / unlock is just the unit reversing the polarity of power to the solenoid. I didn't take the time to really trouble shoot the unit, but just went ahead and ordered a replacement. If you can hold out a bit for mine to come in I'll report back here as to if it fixed the problem or not.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
just noticed this thread... if both door locks exhibit the same problem (e.g. bloth locks are sluggish) then its not a mechanical problem and probably not a problem with the CDL module.. the signs point to a supply (current) problem. This means that the CDL circuit is not getting enough power to move the lock solenoids and could be a grounding issue, a wiring/connector issue or a supply side issue ( e.g. problem at the fuse.)

the way to resolve this (also with any of the other various CDL problems here) is with a little bit of testing with a voltmeter... the guess and replace method is only going to waste money. check pins 9 and 10 of the CDL for 12v and ground. (10 should show 0 ohms to battery ground and 9 should show greater than 12v.)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am having the same issue... Did changing the CDL work?
The one I ordered shipped last week, so I should get it some time this week... I'll post in this thread as to if it fixes the problem or not once it comes in... It will only take me about 15 min's to swap out with the EU dash, so I'll be doing it the day it arrives as long as it's not raining.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Great news :clap: Probably too late, but it would be great to post photos of removal of the top of the dash and location of CDL for future reference, as this keeps popping up.
Michael
CDL came in today. I swapped it out and YAY! :D MY DOOR LOCKS WORK!!! 4-5 weeks of manually locking them was starting to become quite the pain in the a$$. Especially when you have your hands full of $hit.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But didn't you have to remove the dash top?
Nope... Just remove the speaker cover/Light switch piece then move the air vent tube out of the way and it's right there behind it... Not to difficult on my car.

Behind this... (not my car) Mine has a air vent instead of the hazard light switch and the light switches are mounted more towards the door pannel.

I still haven't found where the alarm unit is mounted on my car yet... I need to find it so I can do the antenna mod and have more than 5 ft of range.

Edit: This is my car. I also have my navigation / radar detector / notifies me when a police cell phone in the area is in use / notifies me when police frequency radio in the area is in use / notifies me of speed trap areas / tells me where the traffic cameras are etc unit mounted to it... It kicks butt :D

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
I guess it would be easier on EU spec cars as the dash is different, with the speakers on top. I am also wondering if the CDL is on the left side in a U.S. car.
Michael
Nope... Just remove the speaker cover/Light switch piece then move the air vent tube out of the way and it's right there behind it... Not to difficult on my car.

Behind this... (not my car) Mine has a air vent instead of the hazard light switch and the light switches are mounted more towards the door pannel.

I still haven't found where the alarm unit is mounted on my car yet... I need to find it so I can do the antenna mod and have more than 5 ft of range.

Edit: This is my car. I also have my navigation / radar detector / notifies me when a police cell phone in the area is in use / notifies me when police frequency radio in the area is in use / notifies me of speed trap areas / tells me where the traffic cameras are etc unit mounted to it... It kicks butt :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
CDL came in today. I swapped it out and YAY! :D MY DOOR LOCKS WORK!!!
Congrats on the fix Dragon. My new CDL unit is supposed to arrive today from Lotus Garage. The fact that this fixed your problem is encouraging.

In an effort to give back just a small amount of the knowledge I have gained from this group over the years, it is my intent to document and photograph my dash removal and CDL module replacement. I know there are other posts with dash removal photos, but I figure a post specifically devoted to the apparently common CDL problem wouldn't hurt.

My car is still under warranty, but the nearest dealer is 4 hours away, plus I kinda wanna do it myself :wallbang:. Only hitch is that I spent pretty much all last weekend (which happened to be my 6th wedding anniversary -eek-) installing oil temp and pressure gauges. I think I'd rather try to teach chinese to a monkey than do that again. So I'm not sure if I can get to it this week. Anyway, that is my intent.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Replaced my central door locking module last night on my '06 Elise after my doors locked but refused to unlock with the fob or central switch. The problem was definitely the CDL module and now everything works fine.

I used the excellent dash removal instructions from Buzzy, which were very detailed and easy to follow:

(http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/my-dash-removal-instructions-37404/?highlight=dash+removal)

The problem is that Lotus bolts the CDL module in almost the most inaccessible place to the far left side of the car underneath the dash top. I couldn't even see it at first after I took off the dash. It is hidden under a wad of foam padding that separates the dash components from the fiberglass body and also an immovable a/c vent tube. The padding is very stubborn and I could only move it a little before seeing the edge of the module box. The good news is that the wiring harness plugs in from the driver's side, so it was easy to unplug. I removed the retaining screw and washer from one side of the old module, but found it impossible to get to the other screw due to its inaccessibility. I ended up simply leaving the old one where it was. I wedged the new box in an almost perfectly fitted groove behind the instrument panel, using double-sided trim tape to wedge it in good. Next time the CDL fails (which I expect it will after another mere 12,000 miles), I should be able to access it by simply removing the driver's side cubby.

I am still wondering why a) Lotus continues to use a CDL module that apparently fails regularly and b) they installed it where it is, rather than placing it in one of the many more accessible spots inside the dash.

Overall, the project cost ~$85 for the new module and about 6 hours of time.

Hope this helps anyone who wants/needs to do this themselves.
Great to hear this fixed your issue as well.. :D I'm also now very happy I have an EU version / dash... Now if I could only find where the alarm unit is mounted so I can pull out that antenna wire so I can use the remote from more than 2 ft from the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.