The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there certain colors more prone to fading after a few years?

Is Ardent red easier to fade than Metalic Blue, and both those colors easier to fade then Artic Silver?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I saw an espree (sp?) yesterday in ardent red, so find an old espree owner who has that color and inquire.

Adam P

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Esprit.

I've seen a few red Esprits, no idea of their age, but all seemed to be holding up very well. Chances are this is because mostly, Esprits are mostly weekend cars, and are garaged in between outings.

In general, red does seem to fade faster than other colors. However, I know that paints have improved vastly in the last decade or more, and I don't know that this is as much of a problem as it used to be. Regardless of color, your paint will hold up much better if you do your best to maintain it - that means, keep it clean, free of contaminants like tree sap, bug and bird droppings, etc, keep a good coat of wax on it, and yes, cover it if possible.

Cheers, Mike G.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
That does brings up a question, anyone know if the Elise has a clear coat? If so it would help protect the paint.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I thought all modern paint jobs had a clear coat ? Meat should know, or we can ask the SELOC boys (and girls). They sure look like they have clear coats...on the other hand, lots of the U.K. owners complain that the paint seems to chip very easily.:confused:

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
My understanding of current paint is they are "softer" then a few years back. Add to that the fiberglass... I'd go a with clear bra, or have the chips touch up or front end repainted every few year. Part of the joys of owning a exotic. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts