The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
They're cheap because they're not complete hard tops. It's just the outer skin shape in carbon fiber. You need the hardware and adhesive to make it work.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I see nowhere in the ad that it's carbon fibre.

Outside is black gel coat. Inside is "woven look".

I would first assume that it's fibre glas. Who gel coats CF?

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
You can pick up one here in the classifieds for about $1000.00. It will be OEM and fit properly with no modifications, have all the trim pieces and headliner, and generally look so much better. I know saving a buck is necessary these days but that is not the place to do it.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
I posted a picture a while ago, which light can shine through the CF.

It is good for black car, as it is taped on the body by black duct tape :D

·
Back to the Future, again
6,155 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't expect too much. It's not Carbon Fiber for sure. It's GRP. It's also just a bare shell plastic piece that has the approximate shape to fit over the open portion of the Elise and you have to find a way to get brackets on them to fit and if your brackets aren't too securely mounted or strong... well... there goes your top on the track or freeway.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
You can pick up one here in the classifieds for about $1000.00. It will be OEM and fit properly with no modifications, have all the trim pieces and headliner, and generally look so much better. I know saving a buck is necessary these days but that is not the place to do it.
Concur with the sturgeongeneral. I picked up a used OEM top for a $1000 had it painted to match my car for another $300 replaced the 4 outside seals that I removed for painting and I have a hardtop that looks pretty damn close to a hardtop that the car would have been born with.

OEM hardtops pop up frequently in the parts classified posts. If you have a common color you may get lucky and find one in your exact color and you can just put it on and go. You could do as I did find any old color and have it painted. I kept looking for over a year for a Polar Blue one but one never popped up in the classified adds in the color I need so I got one that would require paint.

Shipping these tops will cost a bit expect $200 or more depending on your area and the sellers area. A new one from Lotus will cost you $3000 or more. A Carbon Fiber ready to install one with all fittings and hardware from Sector 111 will cost you $2,200.00. One off ebay will cost you exactly what the ebay seller lists it at, plus shipping, plus hardware, plus all the work and labor in getting it fitted, plus fitting a headliner, and plus the cost of selling it when you figure out that its junk.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
None.. Thats the price of used lotus soft tops. I think you should get a used original hardtop for your lotus to avoid interior rattles, air leak and water leak. :)
well I'm always looking on the forums but i can't seem to find any I'm willing to pay $1300 at this point!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts