The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
They're cheap because they're not complete hard tops. It's just the outer skin shape in carbon fiber. You need the hardware and adhesive to make it work.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're cheap because they're not complete hard tops. It's just the outer skin shape in carbon fiber. You need the hardware and adhesive to make it work.
but all that can be bought right? any rough idea on how much? from lotus

·
Registered
708 Posts
I see nowhere in the ad that it's carbon fibre.

Outside is black gel coat. Inside is "woven look".

I would first assume that it's fibre glas. Who gel coats CF?

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
You can pick up one here in the classifieds for about $1000.00. It will be OEM and fit properly with no modifications, have all the trim pieces and headliner, and generally look so much better. I know saving a buck is necessary these days but that is not the place to do it.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I posted a picture a while ago, which light can shine through the CF.

It is good for black car, as it is taped on the body by black duct tape :D

·
Back to the Future, again
6,184 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't expect too much. It's not Carbon Fiber for sure. It's GRP. It's also just a bare shell plastic piece that has the approximate shape to fit over the open portion of the Elise and you have to find a way to get brackets on them to fit and if your brackets aren't too securely mounted or strong... well... there goes your top on the track or freeway.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
You can pick up one here in the classifieds for about $1000.00. It will be OEM and fit properly with no modifications, have all the trim pieces and headliner, and generally look so much better. I know saving a buck is necessary these days but that is not the place to do it.
Concur with the sturgeongeneral. I picked up a used OEM top for a $1000 had it painted to match my car for another $300 replaced the 4 outside seals that I removed for painting and I have a hardtop that looks pretty damn close to a hardtop that the car would have been born with.

OEM hardtops pop up frequently in the parts classified posts. If you have a common color you may get lucky and find one in your exact color and you can just put it on and go. You could do as I did find any old color and have it painted. I kept looking for over a year for a Polar Blue one but one never popped up in the classified adds in the color I need so I got one that would require paint.

Shipping these tops will cost a bit expect $200 or more depending on your area and the sellers area. A new one from Lotus will cost you $3000 or more. A Carbon Fiber ready to install one with all fittings and hardware from Sector 111 will cost you $2,200.00. One off ebay will cost you exactly what the ebay seller lists it at, plus shipping, plus hardware, plus all the work and labor in getting it fitted, plus fitting a headliner, and plus the cost of selling it when you figure out that its junk.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
None.. Thats the price of used lotus soft tops. I think you should get a used original hardtop for your lotus to avoid interior rattles, air leak and water leak. :)
well I'm always looking on the forums but i can't seem to find any I'm willing to pay $1300 at this point!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts