The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been a little disappointed with the lack of CF interior parts. The only options we seem to have are the binnacle, door panels, sills and door panels. While these greatly improve the look of the interior it still leaves me with the feeling that I need more. Here's the first prototype piece that I've done. I started out with a small piece (this goes over the top of the steering column) so that I could learn and improve workmanship. Let me know what you think. It's been sanded and sprayed with a matte/flat finish. If there's any interest I'll post the other parts as I finish them and make more if people want them. The parts that I have planned are:

1) airbag cover
2) both small panels (the blank one on the pass side and the one with the start button on the driver side)
3) center vent/radio piece
4) driver/pass side vent pieces
5) eventually the center dash cut out (hard to explain but its center part of the dash that's indented)

These will all be cover parts, not replacements.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
So I've been a little disappointed with the lack of CF interior parts. The only options we seem to have are the binnacle, door panels, sills and door panels. While these greatly improve the look of the interior it still leaves me with the feeling that I need more. Here's the first prototype piece that I've done. I started out with a small piece (this goes over the top of the steering column) so that I could learn and improve workmanship. Let me know what you think. It's been sanded and sprayed with a matte/flat finish. If there's any interest I'll post the other parts as I finish them and make more if people want them. The parts that I have planned are:

1) airbag cover
2) both small panels (the blank one on the pass side and the one with the start button on the driver side)
3) center vent/radio piece
4) driver/pass side vent pieces
5) eventually the center dash cut out (hard to explain but its center part of the dash that's indented)

These will all be cover parts, not replacements.

Before you get too far along, check out all of the CF interior parts on the 09s.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're using a matte finish, are you looking for the "dry" look?
Not going for the dry look as much as being concerned with the reflection off the parts (specially on the dash) I do several coat of resin over the CF so you will still notice that there's a depth between the top coat and the fiber itself. Dry lacks this depth since the CF is prepared much differently (and much more expensive).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you were actually replacing the plastic parts, I'd be tempted, but I have no desire to cover the plastic bits with other bits.
I hear ya. Even I have mixed feeling about this as well. The benefit of cover pieces is that the cost of making them will be much cheaper then actual replacement parts. Not to mention, doing it this way is much easier to learn. Depending on how this all goes (ie it takes off, my quality is where I want it to be and I can make some money off of it) I'll start looking into actual replacement parts.

Thanks for the input guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.