1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I personally know [email protected] Eurodyne through the Bimmer forums - he is a great guy.
I have also personally seen these products at Bavarian Exclusive - a bimmer shop in Brea. The wrap looks superb...you can essentially wrap anything in this CF weave.

I'd be interested in this as I am a CF whore.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Specifically, I would like to cover some of the hard plastic bits on the dash and back panel.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Carbon fiber veneers make carbon fiber appear as valuable as a cheap plastic chrome accessory. This is wallpaper for cars. These veneer products make me hesitant on placing any real carbon fiber bits in my interior. In a few years, even the cheapest of cars will have faux carbon fiber everywhere on an OEM interior. On the other hand, the industrial texture creates a nice blending element between the plastic and metal interiors, so to each his own.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ordering tonight. Will post pics of completed work to admire or poke fun at. :D

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Ordering tonight. Will post pics of completed work to admire or poke fun at. :D
PM me with the secret to contacting those guys. Their web form didn't work and no reply to my e-mail either. :shrug:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I actually ordered this stuff about a month ago. The look is ok but i don't think that it's all that close to a CF look. I covered my airbag, binnacle, steering column and those little panels on each side of the dash. I ended up removing it all because I didn't like the look. It definitely has a fabric look and IMHO if you have any CF parts, it doesn't look right ( I have CF door panels). The quality of the "fabric" is good and it stretches so that you can make sure there aren't any bubbles. Make sure you use a high quality, tacky adhesive otherwise it will bubble and come off.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Did you take any pix?
No but i still have some of the wrap on one of my little covers. I'll take a pic and post it so you can see it. If you look at that thread, you'll see some BMW installs. On those cars, it fits in but I think with the interior that we have, it looks a little out of place. Then again, what do I know :shrug:

Also, some advice: If you have any question on if you're going to like it or not, do a couple of small pieces. Getting the adhesive off is a major PIA.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PM me with the secret to contacting those guys. Their web form didn't work and no reply to my e-mail either. :shrug:
I sent off an email this evening. I'll just wait and see.

No but i still have some of the wrap on one of my little covers. I'll take a pic and post it so you can see it. If you look at that thread, you'll see some BMW installs. On those cars, it fits in but I think with the interior that we have, it looks a little out of place. Then again, what do I know :shrug:

Also, some advice: If you have any question on if you're going to like it or not, do a couple of small pieces. Getting the adhesive off is a major PIA.
Thanks for the feedback! I was hoping someone would chime in with some personal experience with this stuff. I'm going to give it a shot. My intent is to practice on a couple of non-Lotus bits, and if it looks okay, I'll go for it on my Elise. If it looks like crap, then I will use the remainder of the material to cover an old cabinet in my garage. :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Keith here's their phone number off their business card: 909-869-8007

Here are some pics of one of the panel that I haven't taken off yet:

Here's the a comparison of real CF fabric and the wrap:

Unfinished CF and the wrap look close but when you resin it, it looks a lot different. I think that if you did only the CF wrap it would look good but mixing the 2 just didn't do it for me. But again, that's just my opinion.

If anyone is wondering (or even cares) why I have a roll of CF in my garage, I've been giving a shot at making actual CF trim cover pieces for our car to cover up the hideous faux perforated leather. Being a perfectionist it's going to take me some time to get the technique down and I'm sure someone will have it done before me, lol. But as soon as I get the first set done to my liking, I'll post pictures for you guys and see what you think.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I also like the matte better but would the wrap look more realistic with clear-coat applied after installation. I tried something similar with those cheap vinyl stuff you find in auto stores. Thank god its not in my lotus but my other car. It's actually started to bubble up where I didn't apply any clear-coat.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
well be happy to know the stuff your putting on your lotus is on every other ricorz civic, nissan se-r, 350z, 240sx, Ive seen it on everything. The kiddies are going crazy with it because of how cheap and realistic it looks.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well be happy to know the stuff your putting on your lotus is on every other ricorz civic, nissan se-r, 350z, 240sx, Ive seen it on everything. The kiddies are going crazy with it because of how cheap and realistic it looks.
And the point of your comment is? Not sure about everyone else, but I could give a rats ass about what you think. Have a good day!

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
fake carbon isnt for me
Except for weight savings benefits, REAL CF isn't for me! I just had my Prototype Composites CF Cup Roof painted body color!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
And the point of your comment is? Not sure about everyone else, but I could give a rats ass about what you think. Have a good day!
whoa... somebody is a little touchy about the "fake Carbon" their throwing on a Lotus.

Congrats with that buddy.

Have a nice DAY! :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts