The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I wouldn't call it a study, but i did take some measurement, i wanted to go further but had no occasions yet, plus i'm waiting for winter temps to come.
Btw here it is, i'd really like to know your friend thougts.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/still-ic-airflow-roof-setups-459418/index2.html

And this is what i'd like to realize

Very interesting difference between having the roof on and off in respect to where the high-pressure area appears to occur in front and atop the windscreen.

I like your design suggestion to move the scoop forward of the windscreen so as to not having to make the scoop too large or too tall to take advantage of this high-pressure area.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Very interesting difference between having the roof on and off in respect to where the high-pressure area appears to occur in front and atop the windscreen.

I like your design suggestion to move the scoop forward of the windscreen so as to not having to make the scoop too large or too tall to take advantage of this high-pressure area.
Hi pressure, clean flow and no warm air from radiators, that could mean the end of struggling for IATs :smile2:

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
how much will this be?
where r u located?
thanks
I'm mostly in Socal but currently on Oahu.

Please take some pictures of your hood form the top, side, and bottom views as perpendicular to the planar surface as possible, I'll get some numbers for you.

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Working on the shape of the new scoop, my friend has used foam to replicate the overall contours of the OEM scoop. He has outlined the shape of the new scoop, which will be about 2" taller and about 4" forward of the windshield to take advantage of the high-pressure area shown by the wind tunnel video.

We are going for a Porsche GT1 and Mercedes Project 1 shape in an attempt to make Colin Chapman smile, and Gordon Murray envious.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Here are some pictures from yesterday, I have some pricing for those who are interested in this top in CF or FG.
I learned that the stock Mohawk scoop and roof cavity is a shared volume, the ones I'll make will not, so there will be a real ram effect.
This top in complete CF and epoxy resin (factory uses polyester resin) will weight about 6 lbs and cost $4250
This top in FG and polyester will be $1750, either single (w/o headliner) or double skin (with headliner).
Shipping will be the actual cost to CONUS.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
looking cool!
Would like to see a side shot or profile shot with a bit of the car to see how it slows is possible.

Also will the intake hole be with mesh cover?

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The mesh does very little unless you're following a gravel truck too closely or if you drive through a flock of starlings because the mounting flange for the wire grill will reduce the scoop opening.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, first of all I am wondering roughly where you guys live? I'm looking to find someone to consider custom work on my Evora. But just discussing this post, I want to add a mohawk roof scoop to my Evora and blend it into the roof before paint. l know it goes against everything an Evora owner should ever think of doing lol, but I'm going for a specific look. I'll be first to admit the car drives to the grocery store and my work. I'm going for form over function, I'll just be honest. I'm wondering specs on this to see if it would span the width of the recessed middle section of the Evora roof and also how far back it would go. Thank you, please feel free to email me at [email protected] if that works. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Hello, first of all I am wondering roughly where you guys live? I'm looking to find someone to consider custom work on my Evora. But just discussing this post, I want to add a mohawk roof scoop to my Evora and blend it into the roof before paint. l know it goes against everything an Evora owner should ever think of doing lol, but I'm going for a specific look. I'll be first to admit the car drives to the grocery store and my work. I'm going for form over function, I'll just be honest. I'm wondering specs on this to see if it would span the width of the recessed middle section of the Evora roof and also how far back it would go. Thank you, please feel free to email me at [email protected] if that works. Thanks!!!
Hi Dustin, I've sent you an email regarding the above.

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
senna’s daddy - tried to send you a PM but it says your inbox is full

Also, your screen name is a pain to tag in this forum...
I'm sorry, my username used to be Senna's dad, but had to change it when the site changed security. PM me for my email if you wish.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Awesome Progress. Can't wait to see how that new scoop will look all finished and on the car. I know the performance is superior, just not sure the look has grown on me enough. :)

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Awesome Progress. Can't wait to see how that new scoop will look all finished and on the car. I know the performance is superior, just not sure the look has grown on me enough. :)
Thanks; I didn't want to change the established Exige scoop design, so the shape, and size of the scoop are the same as the stock but just a couple of inches higher and forward to make better use of the Exige's aerodynamics.

I was inspired by Adrian Newey's GT3 roof scoop.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 130 Posts