The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Stop it! :)

I'm guessing $10k-$12k. What's the weight savings?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>I'm guessing $10k-$12k. What's the weight savings?<<<

Probably not much! Earlier Elise clams weighed 20 + pounds apiece. For someone doing this to the car, it may make sense to create more tire clearance.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
:drool:

Are they going to make every body panel in CF? Can we potentially clad the whole Elise in CF? That would look wicked. how much?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think he saved 6lbs just in the engine cover. The engine cover is about 1/3 the weight I think.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
CF parts.

Yes, you guessed right. it is about 1/3 of the OEM weight. 24lbs lighter than factory front clam. The price estimated at $8,500.00 plus shipping and handling.

Yes,a rear clam and doors are being made as we speak. The prototype car will be available in Jan.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Yes, you guessed right. it is about 1/3 of the OEM weight. 24lbs lighter than factory front clam. The price estimated at $8,500.00 plus shipping and handling. Yes,a rear clam and doors are being made as we speak. The prototype car will be available in Jan.<<<

How much do the USA Elise clams, doors and engine cover weigh?

Per the above, if I understand correctly, the CF front clam weighs about 12 pounds since this is 1/3 of the 36 pound weight inferred from the figures for stock.

In Lotus Elise the official story it is noted on page 93 that front clams (S1) weigh 22 pounds and rears 28.6. Front crash structure weight = 19.8 pounds. Front clam paint weight = .78 KG.

From what I can tell so far, it would be more useful to cut weight in the back of the car first.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My local dealer has a clam sitting in there shop, I bet I could get them to weigh it for us! I know I could lift it on my own with ease.

I will report back!

Adam P

Stan said:
>>>Yes, you guessed right. it is about 1/3 of the OEM weight. 24lbs lighter than factory front clam. The price estimated at $8,500.00 plus shipping and handling. Yes,a rear clam and doors are being made as we speak. The prototype car will be available in Jan.<<<

Per the above, if I understand correctly, the CF front clam weighs about 12 pounds since this is 1/3 of the 36 pound weight inferred from the figures for stock.

In Lotus Elise the official story it is noted on page 93 that front clams (S1) weigh 22 pounds and rears 28.6. Front crash structure weight = 19.8 pounds. Front clam paint weight = .78 KG.

From what I can tell so far, it would be more useful to cut weight in the back of the car first.

·
Registered
368 Posts
KMS Elise said:
How about CF (Dry) front clam anyone? :D
It's so purrrdy. I'd keep this beautiful piece unpainted.

These clams can also cure the wheel well lip reflector problems :D

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just wondering what a naked stock door weighs.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Stan said:

Info that I obtained from the Dry CF manufacture , The Euro spec 111R front clam weigh 15Kg and CF clam with out clear coating weigh 4.92Kg a difference of 10.08kg. Front panels Factory= 0.88Kg, CF = 0.32Kg a difference of 560g, Engine cover Factory = 4.44Kg, CF= 1.3Kg a difference of 3.14Kg. Hard top Factory CF = 2.7Kg(Clear coated)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CF parts.

mrluky said:
buying those clams is liek buying a whole new elise, god damn. if i could buy 2 elises, id get one in full cf, it really does like super sexy.

would that cf clam be stonger/more resistant to crack than fiber glass?
Yes, they are lighter and stronger. Thore are the two major reasons why so many racing teams use them. I clear coated and UV protected my dry CF parts on my Elise and they are very light and solid.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I just can't see $8500 for that.... that's kinda like Prada and Gucci for car nuts.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Looks like the rear one is going to be about $4k more!

They make an underpanel too that saves about 9.5lbs for just a little more than the engine cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
CF parts,

Yes, they do make under panel. But it is an one piece construction. I had one in my hands and it is too big to handle by yourself. And diffuser part of it is as same or larger than Reveries. I like the Reverie one better for that reason.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
KuroiSport said:
Looks like the rear one is going to be about $4k more!

They make an underpanel too that saves about 9.5lbs for just a little more than the engine cover.
The rear CF clam will be less than $12K. What you saw was a pre- production figure. They found the way to make it for less. We will post prises when they become official. I know it is not for everyone but a nice option to have for the car.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I didn't think about that. Good point.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CF parts.

Genjuro said:
I just can't see $8500 for that.... that's kinda like Prada and Gucci for car nuts.
You got it!:) And I love Prada , D and G , not so much Gucci and..............:rolleyes: The best part is driving my Elises!!:D

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
mrluky said:
ps: if you have any say in building the prototype, make them put in fine-mesh grills
Yes! I can imagine grills similar to the Jaguar mesh grills inhabiting the Elise openings. Push the center grille out closer to the face of the body instead of having it sunk inside like the prototype mesh grille shown in the other thread....

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
S2 Exige grills. :up:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts