The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as everyone knows, the airbag cover material sucks. it scratches easily, softens easil and looks like cheap plastic. I had some left over Hexis CF wrap so I covered it up. It took me about 20mins.. its not a perfect job but not bad for first try if I do say so myself...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw.. I scored the wrap slightly at the airbag cover seams so that if it ever deploys, it should rip down the seams and deploy properly...

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Does this affect how the airbag deploys at all?

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Does this affect how the airbag deploys at all?
I could not remotely imagine how in any way some plastic vinyl wrap could effect the explosive forces of an airbag.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
I could not remotely imagine how in any way some plastic vinyl wrap could effect the explosive forces of an airbag.
Me either, not even leather would make much difference. Have you seen the YouTube videos where people place an airbag under a bucket then sit on it and ride the detonation? Morons fly 20' in the air!

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
yeah, I don't think it would make a whole lot of difference when that airbag deploys. Like I said, I did score the cf wrap so that it will split along the seam if it ever deploys. I doubt it matters though..

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
yeah, I don't think it would make a whole lot of difference when that airbag deploys. Like I said, I did score the cf wrap so that it will split along the seam if it ever deploys. I doubt it matters though..
Fantastic job! Looks great! Lets hope you will never have to test the functionality of the airbag anyway.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update.. I re-covered it so that it only covers the front part of the airbag cover. The outer ring section require too much stretching of the material and was starting to wrinkle a bit when I left the car out in the sun. Someone with more skill prob can make it work.. but I just wanted to cover up the scratched up section of the cover and be durable.

·
Registered
297 Posts
update.. I re-covered it so that it only covers the front part of the airbag cover. The outer ring section require too much stretching of the material and was starting to wrinkle a bit when I left the car out in the sun. Someone with more skill prob can make it work.. but I just wanted to cover up the scratched up section of the cover and be durable.
Hi 'YOU are Batman'

Did you take the plastic cover off?? If so how.

If not how did you get it to fit nicely.

Does anyone know how to get the cover off? Is it difficult?? Would like to cover mine as my watch buckle has maked my plastic when turning.

Cheers

·
Registered
415 Posts
That looks great man, nice work! I'm interested in more detail of how you did that as well, mine's pretty scratched up too.

Thanks,

-Adam

·
Registered
65 Posts
That looks awesome!

I need to do that too. My original rubbery plastic cover is scratched up pretty bad. And I'm careful with things. Just brushing your fingernail across it can permanently scratch it.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as i know its part of a single piece.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi 'YOU are Batman'

Did you take the plastic cover off?? If so how.

If not how did you get it to fit nicely.

Does anyone know how to get the cover off? Is it difficult?? Would like to cover mine as my watch buckle has maked my plastic when turning.

Cheers
West oz loti: sorry about answer your question 2 years late. Didn't see your question at first. I did it with the airbag in place. I just measured the dimensions of the circles and manually cut it with a razor blade. The wrap is pretty pliable so the measurements don't have to be perfect.

·
Registered
787 Posts
How'd you manage to wrap it without the edges baconing? I just finished and it's not horribly noticeable but you can def see little edge ripples in the cracks

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
See post 11: I re-did it so that it didn't wrap over the edge, just over the front surface. Still look good after 3+ years

1 - 20 of 20 Posts