The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Don't mar my project with your price taggery, you completely missed the point. The car is at SEMA to let people know of my business and its capabilities.

My client, of which you so ignorantly speak, now has a set of molds at the ready. When panels become damaged, I can repair them by putting them back in the mold and get them back to him in a week.

Try getting that done at the dealership for your S1 Exige, let me know how that works out for you.

When a panel is beyond repair, I can make new ones and have them on the car before you even get a chance to complain about how much money it may or may not cost, or how much money someone else may have.

Sounds pretty stupid, huh?
Damn skippy!

That car is awesome; you are truely a master of your craft. I wish I could have been there.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't understand why he didn't upgrade to the new style front end while redoing the entire car. :shrug:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hey Mike,

Don't let the negative comments get to ya. Envy brings out the worst in some and they are just trying to get a rise out of you. I laugh at the remarks made toward my Elise but I try to be civil and just wave as I pass them on the track. If you can't do what you want to do, what's the point!

As you are well aware of, making a car special is what everyone tries to do, it's just a matter of budget. There's guys at my home track with Ferrari's and we all know they aren't worth a hoot as a track car, but they can afford to run them to death because they can! No one bashes them for some reason. Keep making the CF if that's what you want to do. Remember it's part artwork too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks, y'all.

Booth biscuits some time tomorrow. Tomasio, I knew you'd catch that sticker!

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Hey Mike - I got a ticket today in the S2... and some kids were across the street taking pictures of the cop lights and the S2... and one of the kids was even tooting an air horn! It was Twilight Zone all the way... I think I need a track-only car! :(

Thomas

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hehe. Odd choice for a purpose built track car. Race cars are designed with panels that break off easily and replaced cheaply and easily. This is important even for guys with the big budgets b/c track cars don't stay pretty for long. Even the 211 follows this model b/c Lotus knows that guys that track cars want cars that repair easily. Well...most guys. This car is really off the mark for the purported scope.

FYI XPcarguy,
The S1 Exige body design was from a purpose built track car. Ever hear of a Motorsport Elise??? :D

Great job Mike on the body :clap:

If I ever crack up my S1 I'll get myself a second mortgage and give you a call. rotfl

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
saw an S1 in person for the first time on Sunday, i was never fan until i saw it in person, but now i dig 'em. And who doesn't like carbon fiber?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
The S1 makes the S2 look a little civilized. If I could drive one on the road, I'd be all about the S1.

T.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Wow, just beautiful.

Speaking of track only cars, how do you like your Diasio, Dennis?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Don't mar my project with your price taggery, you completely missed the point. The car is at SEMA to let people know of my business and its capabilities.

My client, of which you so ignorantly speak, now has a set of molds at the ready. When panels become damaged, I can repair them by putting them back in the mold and get them back to him in a week.

Try getting that done at the dealership for your S1 Exige, let me know how that works out for you.

When a panel is beyond repair, I can make new ones and have them on the car before you even get a chance to complain about how much money it may or may not cost, or how much money someone else may have.

Sounds pretty stupid, huh?

Well said,:clap: well said:clap:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
That is truly beautiful work, and obviously requires special talent. It is hard for many large companies to produce a carbon fiber aftermarket hood that fits and is without major blemishes, much less an entire car that can be scrutinized under bright lights.

Maybe some of the negativity was due to a misunderstanding that this was a possible alternative to replacing the original body work when an accident occurs, instead of a 'one-off' project. Obviously it would be even more expensive, but I am sure a lot of us would like to know, out of curiosity, just how much it would cost to do an S2 in carbon fiber.

It would also be interesting to know if this same talent could be used to make custom fiberglass clams with an even more aggressive look than OEM as an affordable alternative to the overpriced factory clams (I say overpriced as you can buy an entire FFR fiberglass body for $2450, sometimes as low as $1000 admittedly less complicated). My car has had both the front and rear clams replaced after minor boo-boos, and XPCarGuy lost his whole car partly due to expensive bodywork so it is a sensitive subject for many people.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey Mike - I got a ticket today in the S2... and some kids were across the street taking pictures of the cop lights and the S2... and one of the kids was even tooting an air horn! It was Twilight Zone all the way... I think I need a track-only car! :(

Thomas
Thomasio you are a trouble maker. But we can make a race car work for you. I have a 211 available for March. Just say the word.

Mike- Well done!! That is the defintion of sexy without a doubt!! Congrats!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Wow, just beautiful.

Speaking of track only cars, how do you like your Diasio, Dennis?
It's SICK FAST. We have been setting track records with it at ABCC on a weekly basis for closed wheel cars. A friend of mine has one in CONN and this season he also set some astounding times. The Glen at 2:00 and he's in his 60's! I don't recall his times at Lime Rock, Pocono North or New Hampshire, but no one ever beat him. We are probably going to Road America this spring and we guess it should be in the very low 2:00 - 2:10 minute range.

There's not a car out there under $400,000 that can perform with it nose to nose. also as far as safety, it is second to none for the driver and passenger. This is my second Diasio, I had the IRS version (1 of a kind) that was powered with a Yamaha YZF and even it was faster than my Elise Turbo. We were looking to go faster so we made the change to the "R" version. Most of the "R" owners are repeat customers, so that should say something about factory reputation

The power band is WIDE (2500 - 9000) with a shelf profile on the dyno. We have yet to put the turbo in, it's plenty fast as it is, so we are on hold until final testing is done. Chris Diasio has been prototyping one at Sebring and Moroso. You can YouTube his video. The power to weight on that one is pretty nuts (3:1), with 435 HP moving 1300 - 1400 pounds, and that's with about 7# of boost, so the engine is not really under any stress from overboost. It should be finished sometime over the winter break.

The car is heavier than most of the other CSR cars, (West, Stohr, Radical,etc) and that's because of the chassis and all of the high end parts. It was designed to be a track day "workhorse" that was reliable, safe and fast.

We just found out recently that we are now eligible for SCCA Nationals (CSR) (the hold up was the Rensis engine) so we are heading into that group as well as NASA (ESR / Unlimited). The biggest decision is going to be turbo or no turbo. In SCCA CSR we can't have it, but in NASA Unlimited we can. We looked at the times at ABCC for both groups and no one is even close to our current times, so we might just stay with the non-turbo for a short while.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Thomasio you are a trouble maker. But we can make a race car work for you. I have a 211 available for March. Just say the word.
I'm a bad man, I must be stopped!

I mean, sh*t, at 40 mph (claimed) an Exige is near its performance limits! :rolleyes:

A 211, huh? Hmmm... could save me some bux on the street... hmmm... and with the price of '06 Exiges on the rise, maybe now is a good time to do it?

VIVA LA CARTEL!

Thomas

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm sure the one who bought it is quite wealthy. Perhaps that is the real purpose of the car. To show the world how wealthy he/she is. I'm only impressed if said customer was smart enough to also commission several sets of spare body panels so that minor body damage doesn't mean huge downtime.
The guys I know who are that wealthy don't give a ratz azz what anybody thinks, and spend their money on things they want to. What I see here is someone willing to back an extremely creative project and put together an incredible machine - a one-off - custom built to taste. This is in the same vein as Jim G's P4/5.

Bravo to all involved! A stunning masterpiece!

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
The guys I know who are that wealthy don't give a ratz azz what anybody thinks, and spend their money on things they want to. What I see here is someone willing to back an extremely creative project and put together an incredible machine - a one-off - custom built to taste. This is in the same vein as Jim G's P4/5.

Bravo to all involved! A stunning masterpiece!
Ahhh... someone gets it! :up:

Thomas

21 - 40 of 71 Posts