The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All:
I have noticed that some of the recent new owners of the Lotus had their Elises delivered with the Blaupunkt Acapulco along with their touring package. It was my understanding that the Blaupunkt Los Angeles was to be included with the touring package? Can anyone tell me definitively whether this is a recent change, and if so from what vin number? My car allegedly has been in port since November 23, 2004 with the vin of 905.
Thanks.
- dechien
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,165 Posts
I am also trying to figure this out. Seems like Lotus isn't using the successor to the LA MP72, the MP74. Fortunately the radio isn't the main feature of this car. ;) But still, thought the more expensive unit was included when I signed up for the Tour pack. Wonder if it is just as good.

If the touring is coming with the MP54, what is the base radio?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
My VIN 1000 car came with the Acapulco. Looked at the Blaupunkt website a bit and determined the the main differences are:

The LA has a SD card that is used for security. This is the main feature difference that I cared about. The SD is used for security (and you can play MP3's off of it, though a CD holds just as much at about 1/100th the cost. The only security for the Acapulco is removing the face plate. I wish it had a code when power is removed from it.

I think the LA comes with the microphone to do an equalizer set up - the Acapulco does not.

The Acapulco has slghtly higer power: 4x18 vs. 4x16.

There pobably other differences. The Acapulco is also cheaper.

I am not too concerned, it still meets my needs. I would bet Lotus downgraded to offset the loss in dollar value.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
ex-M3 said:
My VIN 1000 car came with the Acapulco. Looked at the Blaupunkt website a bit and determined the the main differences are:

The LA has a SD card that is used for security. This is the main feature difference that I cared about. The SD is used for security (and you can play MP3's off of it, though a CD holds just as much at about 1/100th the cost. The only security for the Acapulco is removing the face plate. I wish it had a code when power is removed from it.

I think the LA comes with the microphone to do an equalizer set up - the Acapulco does not.

The Acapulco has slghtly higer power: 4x18 vs. 4x16.

There pobably other differences. The Acapulco is also cheaper.

I am not too concerned, it still meets my needs. I would bet Lotus downgraded to offset the loss in dollar value.
You got to love things like this. The "security" card in my mind is completely pointless. Let me explain why:

1. The card can't be seen unless the face plate is off. If your radio get stolen with the face plate on, it makes no difference.

2. These cards are easy to lose. I used to take mine in and out, but I became tired of this game, and just leave it in all the time now. I live in a gated community, and although I have had a V1 stolen from my last car, I consider it safe.

3. What is the point of the cards anyway? All we want is a way to NOT get the radio stolen from our cars. While some may argue that the cars discourage theft as the relegate the unit to a large paperweight since they will not function, NO THIEF IS GOING TO GIVE YOU BACK THE UNIT because it didn't work when he tried to steal it!

I guess I am of the mind that thieves are usually poor uneducated people who are not considerate. They will not return stolen goods if they do not work, nor do I believe that they will kindly relace any damage they may have caused in their thieft. I also do not think that they are normally well educated in the types of different securit systems cars as well as head units may have, especially the ability to differentiate between a somewhat obscure brand such as ours.

My post is only to remind myself, and everyone else, that until there is a lowjack developed for a head unit, everything else is only designed to be a minor annoyance to the thief, who under no circumstances will return any stolen merchandise. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,957 Posts
Do the new radios come with the rc10 remote control that mounts on the steering wheel? I thought I saw that it was included as standard in one type of Blaupunkt radio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
The security card does not need to be in the unit for it to operate. In fact leaving it in defeats the purpose. If the radio loses power from the battery (IE: its stolen...) you need to security card to start it back up.

And for the SD card, a 1MB was $300 a year ago. Now they're $49 and since the 2 and 4 Gig cards are now out, the 1GB will drop to $30 in 6 months. Its not a bad feature and there's no laser to get out of alignment, which is what eventually happens to most CD players in cars......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
I too would be interested in finding out what radio comes with the standard car now. As the Acupulco looks like the same series as the base model's radio. They are both ??52.

Although, after the stock radio starts to bother me, I think I'm going to upgrade to this: Pioneer
It comes with performance meters, like g-forces. :)

So, I figure it will take me about 50 miles to get used to the car enough to turn on the radio, another 500 before I start caring about the radio, and another 5000 to start to get bothered by the radio. So, if I keep my same rate of driving as my current car, that'll be more than half a year before I even start to look at replacing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
xxxotic said:
Do the new radios come with the rc10 remote control that mounts on the steering wheel? I thought I saw that it was included as standard in one type of Blaupunkt radio.
You may have seen the pics of my steering wheel controller. That's an option, NOT standard. It runs about $50. To install it on the LA, you need to pull the radio out, and plug a remote sensor into the back, then mount the sensor somewhere on the dash. You can get a steering wheel mounted remote, or a normal handheld one.

Not sure if the remote will work with the Acapulco.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
Mean TT said:
2. These cards are easy to lose. I used to take mine in and out, but I became tired of this game, and just leave it in all the time now. I live in a gated community, and although I have had a V1 stolen from my last car, I consider it safe.

I've already lost my card. Also, when I had my card in the radio, it always gave me and MMC error, one that would cause the radio to not funciton.

How do I get a replacement card?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,464 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,374 Posts
For what it's worth, my Elise is a base (an early one), and it came with the Heidelberg CD52 radio...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Mean TT said:
You got to love things like this. The "security" card in my mind is completely pointless. Let me explain why:
:D
I can understand your point. I am just optimistic or naive to believe that many people who would actually steal these things know what they are stealing. So they stay away from radios that deactivate when power is removed. I remember when radios used to be regularly stolen (including mine :mad: I can't think of anyone I know who has had a radio stolen recently.

pinmagic said:
Not sure if the remote will work with the Acapulco.
Yes the RC08 and RC10 remotes work with the Acapulco. Not sure why I would want one, i can reach the dash :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
Hey what's up with this? I am bummed the stereo changed. Someone at lotus must have a cousin that sells used blaupunkts. :no:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
I don't know how the two units stack up quality-wise but the Acapulco costs $200 less (MSRP) than the Los Angeles model. seems we're getting nickel-and-dimed here!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top