The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have just bougt a 2007 Lotus Exige S, that is imported from USA. This car is set up with instruments that is showing miles/gallons/farenheit. I live in Norway, and here we use kilometers/litres/celsius. I have already ordered a new faceplate for the instrumets, so that i get the speedo in KM/H, but does anyone know if it is possibile to change the other values in the LCD diplay, from miles/gallons/farenheit to kilometers/litres/celsius? On my BMW i can do this in the on board computer, but i have not found any information on how to do this on the Exige.

·
Monaco Dreamin'
461 Posts
I know in the UK they sell KMH to MPH converters for JDM imports, basically a wired chip that goes in-between your cluster and the speedo wire from the ECU. That electronically converts the signal so the KMH numbers will read as MPH, in both the odometer and the speedometer.

That said, I'd be willing to bet something out there exists for the opposite. Heck even someone handy with coding might be able to fabricate something.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know in the UK they sell KMH to MPH converters for JDM imports, basically a wired chip that goes in-between your cluster and the speedo wire from the ECU. That electronically converts the signal so the KMH numbers will read as MPH, in both the odometer and the speedometer.

That said, I'd be willing to bet something out there exists for the opposite. Heck even someone handy with coding might be able to fabricate something.
Can i get the odometer to show speed in the LCD display?

The speedometer is solved by this kit

Welcome to Lotus Extras

·
Registered
94 Posts
I bought one of those from lotus extras and the quality is excellent. I have not installed it yet but looks simple enough. They are in Frankfurt I believe and the guy was very cool and easy to work with when I ordered mines.

Couldn't help you with the odometer part.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
The ECM sends messages to the cluster on the CAN bus to tell the LCD what to display. You'd need to reprogram the ECM to spit out the correct numbers I think? Are there OEM KPH cars out there? Would there be a different ECM flash for them? Only other way I could think of is to intercept the data to the screen, convert it with a microcontroller board and re-spit it out to the LCD. Not easy, but maybe possible? :)

The cluster stores the odometer reading as well, so even if you did change the info coming from the ECM now, the odometer would read wrong.. Supposedly even Lotus can't change that, I've heard they stick a "not actual mileage" sticker on the door jamb if they replace the cluster. If you did the intercept thing you could convert those miles to display kph as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The clusters have different part numbers for mph, kph, and areas in the world so my guess would be that there is no fix and you will have to purchase one.

Just look on German E-bay (use a general search for "lotus elise" unless you know how you say it in German) you are bound to find one or get ahold of
http://www.elise-shop.com/
and they may have a used one.

·
Registered
94 Posts
After searching in the book

TRIP DISTANCE/DIGITAL SPEED DISPLAY/TIME CLOCK
The top left portion of the LCD panel may be cycled through the following displays:

- Trip distance (in same units as analogue speedometer).

- Digital road speed in alternative units to those indicated by the analogue instrument (either mph or km/h).

- Digital time clock (if fitted - this feature will not be available initially).

To cycle, one at a time, through these three displays, briefly press the small button on the right hand side of the steering column shroud.
(Note that this button also adjusts the brightness of the instrument and HVAC panel illumination if held pressed when road speed is selected).

Trip distance: Units displayed are miles, and range from 000.0 to 999.9. To reset to zero; when the trip function is displayed, press the button on the column shroud for longer than 1 second.

Time Clock Setting: To adjust the 24 hour time clock (if fitted);
- when the time function is displayed, press the button on the column shroud for longer than 1 second. The
hour display will then flash.

It said it can be changed to show speed but does not really say how unless I missed it in the writing lol. I would try on mines but it's still in pieces.

It's worth a shot.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
After searching in the book

TRIP DISTANCE/DIGITAL SPEED DISPLAY/TIME CLOCK
The top left portion of the LCD panel may be cycled through the following displays:

- Trip distance (in same units as analogue speedometer).

- Digital road speed in alternative units to those indicated by the analogue instrument (either mph or km/h).

- Digital time clock (if fitted - this feature will not be available initially).

To cycle, one at a time, through these three displays, briefly press the small button on the right hand side of the steering column shroud.
(Note that this button also adjusts the brightness of the instrument and HVAC panel illumination if held pressed when road speed is selected).

Trip distance: Units displayed are miles, and range from 000.0 to 999.9. To reset to zero; when the trip function is displayed, press the button on the column shroud for longer than 1 second.

Time Clock Setting: To adjust the 24 hour time clock (if fitted);
- when the time function is displayed, press the button on the column shroud for longer than 1 second. The
hour display will then flash.

It said it can be changed to show speed but does not really say how unless I missed it in the writing lol. I would try on mines but it's still in pieces.

It's worth a shot.

That doesn't sound to me like it is the instruction for a 2007 cluster.
Maybe for 2008 onwards :shrug:

Here is some reading material where the conclusion was that it can't be changed on the 2005 to 2007 cluster:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/changing-temp-scale-dashboard-59634/index2.html

·
Registered
94 Posts
Unknown because it references the 2008 a couple pages later in the manual. Like I said " I would try it but mines is still in pieces".

Did you try it or are you just saying it won't work?

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
On the 2005, a single press resets the trip odometer, and holding the button either ramps UP the backlight brightness to full-on, or ramps down the brightness to off depending on the state it was in last (hold for as long as you can, it just stops at "ON" or "OFF" and sits there while you hold it). Sadly that's all it does.. The 2005-2007 LCD display just doesn't have enough space (or resolution for that matter) to display the "MPH", "KM", etc.. words that would be needed.

Shot of the 2010 cluster showing the digital speed readout -> Image: 2010 Lotus Exige 2-door Coupe S 240 Instrument Cluster, size: 1024 x 768, type: gif, posted on: November 10, 2011, 11:02 am - MotorAuthority It's a graphic / dot display rather than the 2005-2007's 2x16 character display. If you look close you can see the "P" in MPH spans the gap between the "0" and "7" of the odometer - not possible on a character display. :(

People have swapped '08+ clusters into earlier cars, but it requires at the least an ECM re-program.

Here's a nice shot of a 2010 Elise S Euro cluster showing some alternate info:

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
It looks like Lotus uses something like this display in the '08+ cars:

It's size-compatible, but not program compatible. 144x32 pixel graphic LCD display, also appears similar to a 122x32 pixel display. I've been unable to find one with red backlighting.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Unknown because it references the 2008 a couple pages later in the manual. Like I said " I would try it but mines is still in pieces".

Did you try it or are you just saying it won't work?

I discussed this on here a few years ago and it just won't work.
I think Rice's post explains it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I sendt an email directly to Lotus in the UK, and got an answer back quite quick, and they say that the values can not be changed, and i need to swap the whole instrumet cluster for an EU one, but it was easy, because i could just swap it, without needing any reprogramming.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts