The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the other chat about a fuel issue and our cars being 20+ years old it is a very good idea to change your in-tank submersible fuel hoses.
This left me stranded when it let go a few weeks back. It was easy to diagnose - no fuel pressure. This particular car is a V8.
It's a relatively simple fix so long as you have what's required:

• 12" of 5/16" and 6" of 3/8" SAE 30R10 submersible hose manufactured by Gates. This is not readily available at car parts stores. Order online.
  • assortment of 15mm and 17mm single or double ear SS hose clamps
  • a new fuel pump o-ring (although I reused my old one because the material of the one ordered from PNM was too hard IMO)
  • fuel filter while you're at it
  • General hand tools to remove the body trim, ECU, seat belt cover, fuel pump etc.

On re-assembly be sure the retaining ring on the top of the fuel pump is seated properly and all 3 ears are securing it in place. You may find the fit somewhat wonky.
Here are a few pics to see what's involved...

Musical instrument Automotive exhaust Reed instrument Gas Automotive lighting

Circuit component Light Electrical wiring Fluid Gas

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Automotive exterior

·
Integrator
3,173 Posts
Yep, OE hoses are NOT submersible, which leads to some serious problems. Outer layer develops cracks and the hose bursts open.
Amazon had Gates submersible hoses for sale.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 silver lotus esprit
228 Posts
I also read that the walbro pump is not plug and play for the v8 found and old post that the 95 corvette fuel pump is plug and and play so I ordered two of those with new strainers

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure the lower one is the primary unit. The service manual only lists the pump as a complete unit. I wouldn't mess with it too much because there are some weird connectors on there.. I'd just inspect, change the hoses, re-assemble and test give it a go. Lotuspartsonline lists the early A082L4255F pump for roughly $200 complete if you're concerned with the pumps themselves.

·
Registered
2001 silver lotus esprit
228 Posts
There is a bit of rust particles in the tank so I thought while I’m in there new strainers pumps and hoses and clean the tank out with vinegar and baking soda then I won’t have to go back in there hopefully

1 - 6 of 6 Posts