The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my two back tires to Toyo Proxy 4 Plus using factory specs. I really liked this idea for a tire because of the warrantee.

Ever since then, the ass end of the car floats between lanes at high speeds. I have to stay on top of it while driving, it doesn't feel safe.

Any ideas here? Am I stuck with using the Pirelli P-Zeros on this car?

I did not have an alignment issue, my old p-zeros had perfectly even wear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check your alignment settings,toe out at the rear can cause float at speed. Also excessive negative camber with wide tires will tend to follow ruts in the road. The Pirelli tires could incorporate toe in into the carcass that has to be compensated for when using the Toyo tires.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You created a problem for yourself for two reasons:

#1) No offense, but the Proxes 4 are awful tires. You should not be using such a junk tire on an Evora. I don't care if the warranty on them is a trillion miles, you're driving a sports car, not a clapped out Corolla, so you need a tire that works.

#2) You should not be mixing tire styles front to back, as the difference in tire behavior is not accounted for in the suspension setup. The factory P-Zeros are good summer tires, the Proxes 4 are average all-seasons that don't do anything well. Right now you have a grippy front end and a slippery rear end; no wonder the car behaves poorly.

Tires are the single more important aspect of any cars' handling. There are good tires that are cheaper than the P-Zeros, but the Proxes 4 are NOT good options. Thankfully the Evora uses common tire sizes, so you're not stuck, you have plenty of good options at various price/performance points. IMO, go for:

*Bridgestone RE-11
*Yokohama AD08
*Michelin Pilot Super Sport <--new hotness
*Continential ExtremeContact DW are probably the cheapest tires I'd consider that are still good.

Good luck,
Ryan

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You created a problem for yourself for two reasons:

#1) No offense, but the Proxes 4 are awful tires. You should not be using such a junk tire on an Evora. I don't care if the warranty on them is a trillion miles, you're driving a sports car, not a clapped out Corolla, so you need a tire that works.

#2) You should not be mixing tire styles front to back, as the difference in tire behavior is not accounted for in the suspension setup. The factory P-Zeros are good summer tires, the Proxes 4 are average all-seasons that don't do anything well. Right now you have a grippy front end and a slippery rear end; no wonder the car behaves poorly.

Tires are the single more important aspect of any cars' handling. There are good tires that are cheaper than the P-Zeros, but the Proxes 4 are NOT good options. Thankfully the Evora uses common tire sizes, so you're not stuck, you have plenty of good options at various price/performance points. IMO, go for:

*Bridgestone RE-11
*Yokohama AD08
*Michelin Pilot Super Sport <--new hotness
*Continential ExtremeContact DW are probably the cheapest tires I'd consider that are still good.

Good luck,
Ryan
I read on one of the posts that The Michelin Pilot Super Sports made another guys car squirmy, not that case? What are you running as back tire replacements?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You run the same model tires front and back, no exceptions unless you really know what you're doing.

If you like how the car feels with the OEM tires, then don't mess with success.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You run the same model tires front and back, no exceptions unless you really know what you're doing.

If you like how the car feels with the OEM tires, then don't mess with success.
Im putting my tire guy on a pzero mission right now.

·
Registered
138 Posts
FWIW I've put a set of Michelin PSS on my Monza 19/20 and they are just brilliant.

Edit: I did that because I can't use the Corsas in the wet, and the autumn and winter in France are very wet indeed.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
You spent 80K on a car and now your buying cheap tires?
You got what you deserved!

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
There is nothing more important on car than the tires.
It is the only thing touching the road, think about it.
It seems like a simple concept, but many people don't
equate tires to performance. Instead they see replacement
as a chore or formality. Get a set of R888's if you can, they "work"
in all seasons if used properly. I have a set of purposed all seasons on a
set of LSS wheels as spares, but they have only been necessary maybe 10 times.
I's owned my Elise for 5 years.

-Robert

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Not quite sure I'm buying this price argument. My tires are even cheaper! My Hankook V12 evo K110 Max Summer tires certainly aren't as sticky but they're 1/2 the price and have been perfectly fine for day to day driving. Now, if you need the extra performance then it makes sense, but running super soft high-end tires would be a waste on day to day commute miles (unless your commute involves carving canyons or going 150 on the autobahn! :))

Granted, I've not used these tires myself, but they seem like decent tires for day to day driving. Toyo might not be a high-end brand but c'mon ANY tire should at least be able to hold a straight line. If his complaint was that they don't hold the road as well, fine, but a straight line? Something else is going on.

Just seems rather suspicious, IMHO. I'd look at the tire pressure. If it's correct go get your alignment checked (or do it yourself--its pretty easy, plenty of threads on it). Heck, check the directional setting also. I've had morons mount my tires in the wrong direction also.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
The different tire types is your problem. Never mix them. I was in a pinch once and did this with my truck. Had the exact problem. Short solution was to put the new tires up front until I had 4 of the same tires. Obviously not something you can do with a Lotus as they are different sizes so your gonna have to change your fronts over to the same type as the rear.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
It's good to know the Evora guys are every bit as cheap as some of the Elige owners. You buy a $80k+ car then put the cheapest tires you can find on it? And mis-matched? This isn't the same OP that wanted to put a $130 stereo in the car is it?

As said many times - tires are the most important part of your car. It's the ONLY thing that touches the road (or at least should be). You have very little contact with the road so don't cheap out on that at all.

·
Registered
935 Posts
So much for tire BS

Do not listen to all these people saying you bought cheap tires. They are modern tires and should behave.

Common tire myths:

1. You have to have all 4 tires the same. Practically, you should have same tires on the same axle. Mixing tires front to back will affect teh car's balance i.e. overster/understeer. I have had bald R-spec tires on the back and street tires on the front for rainy weather driving. Hairy but manageable, IF you know what you are doing.

2. Since, you did buy an 'exotic'. You almost have to do an alignment with each tire change. The suspension set-up maybe too agressive for a more conservative tire. Also, the suspension has very sensitive adjustments which may have been disturbed by the wonderful people who mounted and installed your tires. You problem sounds like an inflation or a toe issue. On most regular cars, rear toes in NOT adjustable and CANNOT be changed. On your car the toe could have been changed by an unsuspecting tire guy.

3. Michelin PS2's are a horrible tire, if you live in the North of US. They do not come up to temperature and wear at an incredible rate. I thought they were junk, till I drove them in Houston. They ar great in Houston.

4. Pirelli's (Corsa and P-zero) are OK when they are new. The performance degrades rapidly as they heat cylce and wear. Personally, I like them, still

Tires are a compromise between wear, traction, wet and dry, cold and hot. You buy the tire that best suits the side of compromise you a re willing to take. Evora is a 3000lbs 2+2 with a front-wheel drive in the back. Is this not like a Fiero.... but I digress.... :) The suspension is much better and the car is much nicer... So it needs a nicer blacker looking tires!!! :)

Anton

BTW. Does any one know why tires are black? and engine oil is caramel color?

The different tire types is your problem. Never mix them. I was in a pinch once and did this with my truck. Had the exact problem. Short solution was to put the new tires up front until I had 4 of the same tires. Obviously not something you can do with a Lotus as they are different sizes so your gonna have to change your fronts over to the same type as the rear.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Do not listen to all these people saying you bought cheap tires. They are modern tires and should behave.

Common tire myths:

1. You have to have all 4 tires the same. Practically, you should have same tires on the same axle. Mixing tires front to back will affect teh car's balance i.e. overster/understeer. I have had bald R-spec tires on the back and street tires on the front for rainy weather driving. Hairy but manageable, IF you know what you are doing.

2. Since, you did buy an 'exotic'. You almost have to do an alignment with each tire change. The suspension set-up maybe too agressive for a more conservative tire. Also, the suspension has very sensitive adjustments which may have been disturbed by the wonderful people who mounted and installed your tires. You problem sounds like an inflation or a toe issue. On most regular cars, rear toes in NOT adjustable and CANNOT be changed. On your car the toe could have been changed by an unsuspecting tire guy.

3. Michelin PS2's are a horrible tire, if you live in the North of US. They do not come up to temperature and wear at an incredible rate. I thought they were junk, till I drove them in Houston. They ar great in Houston.

4. Pirelli's (Corsa and P-zero) are OK when they are new. The performance degrades rapidly as they heat cylce and wear. Personally, I like them, still

Tires are a compromise between wear, traction, wet and dry, cold and hot. You buy the tire that best suits the side of compromise you a re willing to take. Evora is a 3000lbs 2+2 with a front-wheel drive in the back. Is this not like a Fiero.... but I digress.... :) The suspension is much better and the car is much nicer... So it needs a nicer blacker looking tires!!! :)

Anton

1. Driving with mismatched tires for a day or so is one thing if you get stuck with a set that are corded, etc. but buying mismatched tires for a street car is just wrong, period.

2. Couldn't disagree more here. The suspension is not so weak that just removing/changing a wheel/tire will affect it. I change the wheels/tires on my Exige many many times as I swap setups for the track - this doesn't affect anything, at all. If it did that means I have something so lose that moving a tire would affect it - I'd have a lot more problems if this was the case.

3. Non-slick tires don't "come up to temp" - that is a common misconception. Not even r-comps really do this and while they do heat cycle out eventually that doesn't really happen on the street. The tread will go long before the heat cycles (completely the opposite for a slick non-DOT compound race tire).

4. See #3.

Tires are a compromise between wear, traction, wet and dry, cold and hot
This we agree on but for a $80k+ car this isn't the place to compromise. Why does "front-wheel drive in the back" have to do with anything? What is "a nice blacker looking tires"? anyway?

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Why did you quote me? I did not post Tire BS. He needs to have the same TYPE of tire all the way around as different types of tires have different grips in different road conditions, which you said in your #1 in a round about way. I said nothing about cheap tires. If he uses his car for commuting, then of course he wants a tire that will last longer and give up corner grip. Bonus if the tire costs less.

Common tire myths:

Anton

·
Registered
152 Posts
Tires are one of the most complex parts on your car. Tire construction tread design and rubber compound are all tailored to achieve the desired ride, handling, traction, rolling resistance and noise levels the manufacturer desires. It is always a compromise as no tire can achieve everything to the extent desired.
If you look on tire rack you can find the OEM construction tire for your car. It is not the same as a tire with the same sidewall info and designation as what was on the car. The tire manufacturer made a specific tire with unique construction for your vehicle and developed for your vehicle. This goes for every car on the road. A different tire will absolutely change the ride and handling of your car it just may or may not be a change you notice.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Tires are the single more important aspect of any cars' handling.
And here I thought that the single most important safety feature, and the single most important handing aspect; was "the oft neglected" driver.

OP>
I think it is likely that your tires grooves are cut exactly at the spacing the road siping is cut too.
If your roads are concrete with grooves that will make sense, if they are asphalt then I wrong.
If they are concrete, then they will get good when you load then up, but you never get a side load on then on an interstate type of road.

·
Registered
545 Posts
FWIW I've put a set of Michelin PSS on my Monza 19/20 and they are just brilliant.

Edit: I did that because I can't use the Corsas in the wet, and the autumn and winter in France are very wet indeed.
What's wrong with the Corsas in the wet, they work quite well? Had them on from March to Ovtober last year and this year, never any issue... :coolnana:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not worried about those that think I went cheap for any reason beyond the obvious: I drive like Morgan Freeman and need new tires at 6,000 miles. If I'm going to chew through tires that often having never once been to the track and burned out 3 times ever, it might make sense to look into new tire options besides the pzero's which are hard to come by and/or on back order.

I've also had toyo proxies one of my one of previous cars (suspension modded and 2zz swapped MR2 Spyder) and didn't recall a bad experience with them at all and I really used to beat that car down, so naturally I wasnt hesitant to the idea of using the brand.

I am now swapping the fronts with toyos to match and we're going to give that a try and see if it stabilizes the vehicle. If I dont like it, we're going back to the pzeros. I'll have this handled this weekend.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts