The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Evora's are quirky, worse than women when it come to the electrical system. I jumped mine and cooked the TCU. Trip to the dealer 300 miles away and $3600 back in business. You got off lucky!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I think the lesson learnt from this is to use the battery tender if the car is to be park for more than a week and make sure to turn off the trunk light. I have read a lot of Evora issue on this forum because of weak battery or not driving the car enough to juice its battery. Keeping mine on the tender and my 2013 Evora S still have the original OEM battery – 6+ years and still going strong.
I always have my car on a trickle charger, even if I know I'm going to drive it the next day. It's part of my routine. When I got the car (about 1.5 years ago), I didn't realize the trunk lights stay on (duh). I drained my battery while on the trickle charger. I switched out my trunk lights to LEDs, and now I push the top latch to shut the trunk light off.

Evora's are quirky, worse than women when it come to the electrical system. I jumped mine and cooked the TCU. Trip to the dealer 300 miles away and $3600 back in business. You got off lucky!
Ugh..yeah, I should consider myself fortunate.

Good to hear that you are up & running again. $700 sounds good for the diagnostics & reflashing everything.
This is at Princeton Lotus and I'm extremely fortunate that I have a dealer literally 5 miles from me. Though being in the back of a Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge/Ram dealer concerns me, I'm not an elitist and work with it.

In the end, it's an issue with the way the ECU is constructed.
I wondering if it would make sense to just switch out the battery every 3 years as part of preventive maintenance ($150 per swap so $50/year).

·
Registered
449 Posts
On MY 17/400 MT, have a Platinum Premium Plus battery-5 yr warranty- (not Varta as manual states), not sure if delivered with car or replacement. Car manufactured in 1/17, bought by me (Victory Lotus, Princeton NJ) 8/17 with 3miles odometer (didn't think to ask dealer if replacement). Now with 5200 miles, ~2 1/2 years battery performance fine, but want some reassurance of health. Was considering just getting new battery.....
Instead, I tested for base voltage, and load (cranking engine start) voltage drop followed by charging voltage level when motor started and idling. All fine, giving me some relief of battery (and alternator) health at this point. Will repeat every 3 months or so.......all I could do with limited tools (essentially only multimeter required) and knowledge of electrics (for me, if a hammer doesn't fix it, problem must be electrical......!).

·
Registered
125 Posts
I wondering if it would make sense to just switch out the battery every 3 years as part of preventive maintenance ($150 per swap so $50/year).
:| I will say yes. ...But then again, I'm an aircraft engineer. So preventative maintenance is my base for everything mechanical... which is probably why personal stuff does not break down.

My Porsche and bikes do not get used during the winter, so they stay on the Ctek. And what I normally keep an eye out for is the full condition cycle time... If once plugged up, if not green in 30mins... I will replace prior to the season. Another method I use is just a good multimeter, ride/drive.. test next morning, if under 12.5v replace asap. Should be 12.6.. but I have noticed the lotus is very parasitic.

·
Registered
166 Posts
One thing I have learned about using a trickle charger on the Evora is that if you have not changed the boot lights to LED, the lights will draw more current than a typical trickle charger will provide. Since we need to open the boot to apply the charger, we might not close the lid completely because there's a wire in the way, and if the lights stay on, the battery won't charge.
To fix this, either be sure the lid is completely closed, use a higher current charger, or just pop the entire light assemblies out and unplug them when you're charging. This might be why you didn't have any success charging at home, but the dealer didn't seem to find anything unusual.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
125 Posts
One thing I have learned about using a trickle charger on the Evora is that if you have not changed the boot lights to LED, the lights will draw more current than a typical trickle charger will provide. Since we need to open the boot to apply the charger, we might not close the lid completely because there's a wire in the way, and if the lights stay on, the battery won't charge.
To fix this, either be sure the lid is completely closed, use a higher current charger, or just pop the entire light assemblies out and unplug them when you're charging. This might be why you didn't have any success charging at home, but the dealer didn't seem to find anything unusual.
Hope that helps!
You can close it on Ctek wires no problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Or click the catch with a screwdriver. DO NOT forget to unlock with the key before trying to close though.
This is what I do. You don't have to use the key to unlatch it though, there is a little button protruding from the latch you can push to unlatch it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts