The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
I went to change the oil from my supercharger this afternoon and saw this. I drew out a little to see its condition. Still seems pretty clean so I put it back. 18500 street/fwy/canyon. No track time. I'll check again in 5000 miles or like 10 years. rotfl
I am not sure if you should worry about it ...

What are the benefits of a Magnuson Supercharger? "No maintenance, first supercharger oil service after 80,000 miles."

·
Registered
2,121 Posts

What are the benefits of a Magnuson Supercharger? "No maintenance, first supercharger oil service after 80,000 miles."
I think it's because our cars tend to overdrive the supercharger, spending most of its life at 6500~8500rpm... Higher duty cycle = shorter maintenance schedule...
Although it could be said that the gearing for the s/c would be different for each application.

better safe than sorry, I guess. :cool:

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
If anything, you could just check it. Basically use the large syringe as a dipstick.

If you have a track car, I'd have to say it's a must to check periodically.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
So how much oil does the manufacturer actually recommend? We have 118 ML going in but anywhere from 100 to 130 ML coming out. What are the dynamics of overfilling? Say he pulled out 100 and left 18 ML in it so actual fill is 136 ml. I would assume it is like any gearbox where the drain port is max fill line but mounting angle plays a HUGE difference. Anybody have manufacturers info?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Might do this at 60k miles.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So how much oil does the manufacturer actually recommend? We have 118 ML going in but anywhere from 100 to 130 ML coming out. What are the dynamics of overfilling? Say he pulled out 100 and left 18 ML in it so actual fill is 136 ml. I would assume it is like any gearbox where the drain port is max fill line but mounting angle plays a HUGE difference. Anybody have manufacturers info?

The weird thing is that the manufacturer has like 30 different recommendations. I can't find the spec sheet at the moment but I have referenced it before. I'm guessing it is because this supercharger is used on many different cars and the nose end varies in sizes. From what I have seen, our nose is on the smaller size. But 118ml seems like a good middle ground.

It is not like the gearbox where you fill until it drains out. If you take your time to suck out the old fluid, you should be pretty good. I've taken apart my entire supercharger and I can't imagine the fluid would start pouring out even with 200ml in there...especially with the way that our SC are oriented both aftermarket and OEM. So make sure you measure the amount going in.

·
Registered
91 Posts

I did a leak fix on my MP62 SC (2007 Exige s) and read many different amounts of oil to put in it, so i sendt a mail to Thomas Stevens at Magnuson superchargers, tah make these, and he told me that the right amount of oil is 146ML and recomended oil is GM supercharger oil. It is recomended to do an oilchange on the SC every 30000 miles.

Here you can see mine without the neck (had a leak between the housing and the neck.

Here is the neck, that i applyed some anaerob liquid gasket to, before putting it together.

Filling up with new clear oil

I had the clam off, so i installed my new IC, and 2bular exhaust at the same time.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I did a leak fix on my MP62 SC (2007 Exige s) and read many different amounts of oil to put in it, so i sendt a mail to Thomas Stevens at Magnuson superchargers, tah make these, and he told me that the right amount of oil is 146ML and recomended oil is GM supercharger oil. It is recomended to do an oilchange on the SC every 30000 miles.

That is what I have been seeing. Oil fill amounts all over the board.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Someone by the name of DrFatz posted this picture in another thread. Look at the column for MP62...

·
Registered
553 Posts
more the better?

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I just changed the supercharger oil in mine today. I pulled about 90 ml out and it was dark and dirty. Used the oil suggested from Amazon. It kinda reminded me of power steering fluid. Anyway, she had about 20K miles on her. One more thing I can check off the list. It was really easy to do with the post from the op. I would recommend this to all who have a supercharger. Quick and easy to do!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts

I think it's because our cars tend to overdrive the supercharger, spending most of its life at 6500~8500rpm... Higher duty cycle = shorter maintenance schedule...
Although it could be said that the gearing for the s/c would be different for each application.

better safe than sorry, I guess. :cool:
About to weigh in with my experience.
Just had my S/C oil changed a few days ago. Stock 08' tracked occasionally. 20kmi on the dial.

The s/c oil was about halfway down. I think it's better to check/replace between oil changes. It's a cheap insurance compared to what s/c replacement costs.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Rule of thumb is pretty easy ... put in what you can take out and maybe a little more just to be sure. The issue is, it's near impossible to fully drain it if you are sucking it out. I only got about 95-100ml out and refilled with around 110ml to be safe.

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Registered
978 Posts
I just change my oil too and its amazing how much better she feels. Has 20 or 15k on the SC.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Because of this thread, I decided to change mine also. 15k on car, and about 8 on the supercharger.

I sucked it out with a brake bleeder to discover that the old stuff looked virtually new. Oh well. Better safe than sorry.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts