The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called SilverStar for a simple oil/filter change and service and some new lady gave me crap, saying "you have to leave your Lotus for at least 4 days here for a oil change, all lotus work is difficult"! I said "But it's a simple oil change!" "Doesn't matter!" she said.:mad: I was so upset, I called Ray (the service writer) and to my dismay, he passed away (died)!:eek:

My next call is to Richie, the head Lotus mechanic, but he was not there, so I talked to another mechanic. I made an appointment for Friday. He assured me that Richie will get it done by Friday afternoon. Usually, I can wait there in the morning and I'ts finished at 9:30am - 10am. Hmmm...

The crap I got from the appointment lady almost made me look for another dealer. They almost lost a customer. Someone from SilverStar should talk to that woman before they lose more customers!

I called Calabasas Lotus and they will do the work, but I don't know the mechanic.

I'm thinking of doing the oil/filter change myself. I have the floor jack, metric tools and Rhino Ramps. It will save lots of money too. (Yes I know, I should be doing itself for those simple things. My excuse is I have one functional hand.:sad:) I use Mobil 1 synthetic. I'll call Richie tomorrow and see how his work schedule is Friday. If not I'll try the oil/filter change myself.

I have to change the air filter (it's a green filter) too. I have the K&N "oil". If I do it myself, are there any other points to check under the car?

It's a major bummer that Ray (service writer) died from lung problems! :sad:

--Hal

·
Registered
943 Posts
I called SilverStar for a simple oil/filter change and service and some new lady gave me crap, saying "you have to leave your Lotus for at least 4 days here for a oil change, all lotus work is difficult"! I said "But it's a simple oil change!" "Doesn't matter!" she said.:mad: I was so upset, I called Ray (the service writer) and to my dismay, he passed away (died)!:eek:

My next call is to Richie, the head Lotus mechanic, but he was not there, so I talked to another mechanic. I made an appointment for Friday. He assured me that Richie will get it done by Friday afternoon. Usually, I can wait there in the morning and I'ts finished at 9:30am - 10am. Hmmm...

The crap I got from the appointment lady almost made me look for another dealer. They almost lost a customer. Someone from SilverStar should talk to that woman before they lose more customers!

I called Calabasas Lotus and they will do the work, but I don't know the mechanic.

I'm thinking of doing the oil/filter change myself. I have the floor jack, metric tools and Rhino Ramps. It will save lots of money too. (Yes I know, I should be doing itself for those simple things. My excuse is I have one functional hand.:sad:) I use Mobil 1 synthetic. I'll call Richie tomorrow and see how his work schedule is Friday. If not I'll try the oil/filter change myself.

I have to change the air filter (it's a green filter) too. I have the K&N "oil". If I do it myself, are there any other points to check under the car?

It's a major bummer that Ray (service writer) died from lung problems! :sad:

--Hal
If your problems continue I would recommend Calabasas. The guys there are great and the mechanic is the one of the guys from Beverly Hills Lotus - I think his name is Cisco - Very friendly and professional- Anyway, they were VERY helpful when I had a tail light go bad. My only experience with Silverstar was when I tried to test drive their car and they weren't interested in making that happen- Oh, well. Good luck.

Matt

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
Hal,

Ray has been servicing our last two XJR for many years. However, since I have sold them, I haven't been back much (due to being in San Diego), except for taking my Lotus in there one time for warranty work. The car needed to be left there for a week, and this was a Friday. Rich told me, "Ryan I recommend you don't leave the car here, call me when the parts are in, because we just leave the cars outside, and I don't trust the rest of the people around here."

Coming straight from a mechanic that said a lot. Personally, I have had great experience with Ray and TO for years. But after the Lotus, and selling the last XJR, I don't go there anymore. Rich is an excellent guy, but TO has incredibly high prices (on cars and service), and they are not that great of a dealership. Thus as a result, I take my business elsewhere, and I doubt they care about losing my business. I have known Ray for a while, and yes as sad as it is, he is in a better place now. He has been suffering for a few years now.

Good luck with the oil change. If you can wait till March 24th weekend, I am doing mine then in your neck of the woods.

-Ryan (hoping he has gotten his post in, before cory1000 has come in for his customary jabs)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The oil change is really simple, I just did it the first time on my own a few weeks ago. The only hard part is having a helper get the aluminum underpanel off and back on. If you can find a helper I think you can do it.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I may be wrong but my impression of Silver Star for the past few years is that they've never really been into Lotus - at least compared to the other dealers in Southern Cal.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
The oil change is really simple, I just did it the first time on my own a few weeks ago. The only hard part is having a helper get the aluminum underpanel off and back on. If you can find a helper I think you can do it.
if you need a helper for the undertray, may i suggest a few visits to the weightroom? -poke-

the most intensive part of a proper lotus oil change is digging out your torque wrench and methodically going over the car. well, that and being patient while the oil drains out.

research, buy a couple of tools (if needed) and do it yourself.
you really don't need some overpriced shop hanging onto your car for four days and lightening your wallet by several/many hundred $$.

$0.02

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
if you need a helper for the undertray, may i suggest a few visits to the weightroom? -poke-

the most intensive part of a proper lotus oil change is digging out your torque wrench and methodically going over the car. well, that and being patient while the oil drains out.

research, buy a couple of tools (if needed) and do it yourself.
you really don't need some overpriced shop hanging onto your car for four days and lightening your wallet by several/many hundred $$.

$0.02
He mentioned he only has use of 1 good hand, it's pretty hard to hold the tray up and put screws in with 1 arm.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
He mentioned he only has use of 1 good hand, it's pretty hard to hold the tray up and put screws in with 1 arm.
i slide under, feet first, and rest the undertray on my body. just slide your knees up to raise the panel into the leading edge slot, then stabilize with your head, if you've only got one full-featured upper appendage. you just gotta get the two central bolts started, and then it's all downhill from there. a small, carefully deployed, electric driver would be mondo-helpful with getting the screw installed.

i'm 100% in support of folks doing their own simple maintenance. there's a wealth of info on ET (and on sand's)... all one really needs to do most jobs. and if you run into a snag, i've seen real-time over-the-internet support deployed within minutes.

SV's a local celeb, i bet he can muster an entire regiment to assist, if necessary.

:up:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
i slide under, feet first, and rest the undertray on my body. just slide your knees up to raise the panel into the leading edge slot, then stabilize with your head, if you've only got one full-featured upper appendage. you just gotta get the two central bolts started, and then it's all downhill from there. a small, carefully deployed, electric driver would be mondo-helpful with getting the screw installed.

i'm 100% in support of folks doing their own simple maintenance. there's a wealth of info on ET (and on sand's)... all one really needs to do most jobs. and if you run into a snag, i've seen real-time over-the-internet support deployed within minutes.

SV's a local celeb, i bet he can muster an entire regiment to assist, if necessary.

:up:
I agree, 300 bucks for an oil change is a joke when I can do it myself with Amsoil for 50 bucks and 30 mins of my time. I'm all about learning about and servicing the car myself when possible.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
SKYVUE, I just did my first Lotus oil change on Sunday. It was straight forward, I saved about $90 after cost of oil and filter, and it used up about the same amount of time as it would take to drive to / from or wait at the dealer to do the work.

Given that my car sees regular track use, I have been changing the oil change about three or four times per year. The cost and time spent on oil changes at the dealer was starting to add up.

While under there, I checked the U-tube (see "ticking timebomb" thread), found my car was at risk, and corrected the matter.

I have arthristis in both hands and use shop tools that minimize stress to my hand joints. I recommend an inexpensive air ratchet ($30 for 3/8 mini-ratchet at Harbor Freight) that can be powered by even just a small portable air compressor (1.5 gallon Husky unit for $120 at Home depot) to quickly and easily remove and replace the undepan tray. It comes in handy for removing the diffuser quickly, too. Ace10's technique for replacing the undertray is practical and works quite well...it is what I do.

If you don't have an air ratchet or little compressor, the combined $150 cost would be paid for by the cost savings of two oil changes. A good electric driver would even be a less expensive way to go.

Another thing I installed and recommend is the Fumoto oil release valve (discussed in a prior LT thread)...$25 delivered, and a time and headache saver.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hal, I can change your oil. I left all my tools and ramps on the east coast. I need to change my oil too.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Ah wow, Cisco is really cool guy, glad to see he is up there ! He moved to the valley recently I think

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
AZreason tought me this trick.

keep the last two large bolts in the center threaded but loosened finger tight.
then do all the tiny bolts on the edges, remove them all. now the underpanel is held up by ONLY the 2 large bolts. loosen them with your finger(as they are only finger tight now), and presto, it comes off really easy with only one person. do the opposite to install, just dont forget to tighten up those bolts in the center.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just change the oil yourself. You'll save some money, get to know your car a little better, and have a sense of accomplishment when your done. I changed mine Saturday with a total cost of $48 including oil and K&N filter. Only problem was I couldn't find my filter wrench so I had to get the old Toyota filter off the hard way... Good thing the K&N has a 1" nut formed to the bottom of the filter for next time.

Here's a South Carolina filter wrench in action...

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I recommend an inexpensive air ratchet ($30 for 3/8 mini-ratchet at Harbor Freight)
I find the my cheap harbor freight 1/4 inch air ratchet (similar to this one) works better - smaller and less torque that may over tighten the bolts. But I agree 100% with everything else (and I'd use a 3/8 air ratchet if I didn't have the 1/4 inch one.

held up by ONLY the 2 large bolts. loosen them with your finger(as they are only finger tight now), and presto, it comes off really easy with only one person. do the opposite to install, just dont forget to tighten up those bolts in the center.
But that is the difficult part. Getting the under tray into the groove, and then starting the two bolts while not letting the under tray fall out of the groove in the front. Doable, but it's a bigger pain than some people let on to. If it was a simple matter of starting the two bolts, it would be really simple.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I couldn't find my filter wrench so I had to get the old Toyota filter off the hard way...
I use that only as a last resort. I've had it back fire on me, when the filter just keep tearing. I was left with a filter torn to sh reads that I couldn't remove. I finally had to use a hammer and chisel to turn what was left of the flange/mounting boss. Not a fun experience.

By the way, I didn't install the filter, and it wasn't on the Elise.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Let's not give up on Silver Star

Sorry to hear that Ray passed away. I had some warranty work done on my car just before the warranty was up. They kept the car for 4 days but, Ray made sure everything was done plus all the Upgrades that had come along over the past 3 years.

He even convinced Lotus to replace one of my door panels. When it came in I called the appointment Lady and she wanted the car for a few days??

Ray had me in and out in about 1 hour on a Friday morning.

Dave the sales man kept handing me keys to drive the different Lotus's.
Yes--I almost bought SkyVues yellow Elise. When I showed up with a Red Elise I bought elseware he was disappointed but, figured I'd buy my next Lotus from him. (Maybe an SC) A real English Gentleman.

I hope they replace Ray with a Lotus Guy that likes to help people keep their cars on the road as easy as possible. In my brief encounters with Ray, I would have to say he was a first class act. He treated you like you just drove in with a $1,000,000 car.

RIP.

LPM

2005 Ardent Red Elise--22,000 miles

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Sorry to hear about Ray. He was always first rate in how he dealt with my car and service issues. He was a nice guy to boot.

I did notice (in 2005) that his voice was raspy and he was coughing a bit. Hope he didn't suffer long.

R.I.P.

:(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts