The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
On what? An Elise or exige no it's really easy drop the diffuser and it's all right there. If you have the rear panel eliminator and above diffuser exhaust it's even easier. The o2 sensors are SAE 7/8 I think the exhaust bolts to the manifold are 14 mm or 15mm a socket wrench makes that easier

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Very easy just pull off the diffuser. One thing to be careful of: the threads in the bungs for the O2 sensors can be galled and destroyed if you are not careful. Just be easy with them and you will be ok. Another thing is to make sure you put the correct sensor in the correct hole AND make sure you connect the correct wire to the correct sensor front or back. Switching the wires is a common booboo and the ECU will have a hard time keeping the air/fuel ratio in sync.

·
Premium Member
11,856 Posts
Tim Mullen recommended Kroil rust-busting spray. it works great. jic.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
You'll will want to remove the muffler first. With the slip fit you can't really just drop the catalyst by itself because there is an overlap of probably two inches. You will want to spray some wd-40 in the slip fit (or something similar as mentioned), because you will have to twist back and forth on the muffler. But if you got 2 people I guess you could undo the catalyst at the header and then the 2 brackets on either side of the muffler and just drop the whole thing together, but I wouldn't recommend it alone.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am I missing something very basic here? The left side muffler brackets are above the heat shield. The heat shield won't come off without removing the exhaust system. I tried to remove the rear grill by undoing it from the clam (+3 bolts in the trunk) but it has a small heat shield that wraps around the main heat shield. It also doesn't seem to be removable til after the entire exhaust system is out. Best I could do is drop the rear grill til I could get one hand inside to undo the left muffler brackets while beating the living f**k out of my hand. Is this the simple part everyone is talking about, am I missing something or is LT the most sadistic gang of people on the net? I'm going for a beer and a fistful of pain killers. Hopefully that will change my attitude. Haven't lost any limbs so far so I guess it's going great.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Am I missing something very basic here? The left side muffler brackets are above the heat shield. The heat shield won't come off without removing the exhaust system. I tried to remove the rear grill by undoing it from the clam (+3 bolts in the trunk) but it has a small heat shield that wraps around the main heat shield. It also doesn't seem to be removable til after the entire exhaust system is out. Best I could do is drop the rear grill til I could get one hand inside to undo the left muffler brackets while beating the living f**k out of my hand. Is this the simple part everyone is talking about, am I missing something or is LT the most sadistic gang of people on the net? I'm going for a beer and a fistful of pain killers. Hopefully that will change my attitude. Haven't lost any limbs so far so I guess it's going great.
Could you post a pic of your problem?

I did the panel delete a long time ago.
Would help me and others if you could post a pic of your problem so we can help you.

Sorry that your having trouble.. You are probably missing a step.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SOLVED. After removing enough stuff that I could see in there I found that the left wheel and inner wheel well should be removed. That makes it possible to get to the muffler hangers. O-2's were installed by a sadistic midget. Getting them tie wrapped back to the frame should take less than a day though.

Oh, anyone reading this.... While exhaust system is off, take the time to remove every heat shield screw and add a 1/4ID x 1-1/4OD fender washer. First get a socket (or other metal cylinder) about 1-1/4 diameter and gently bang it into the existing screw well that's formed in the heat shield. This will allow fitting the oversize washer. I bet I cured 7 different rattles with this modification.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Am I missing something very basic here? The left side muffler brackets are above the heat shield.....Is this the simple part everyone is talking about, am I missing something or is LT the most sadistic gang of people on the net?
I think most of the active ones here replaced our exhausts so long ago we forgot about that part. Neither of the aftermarket exhausts I have had had clearance issues on that side, but again they don't have that heat shield.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts