The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For such a simple car, everything seems to be a pain in the arse! :D

I want to replace the low-beam bulbs. Just so happens that, during my PDI, the service manager had to remove the headlamp cover to test a bulb, so I saw him do it, but I can't recall the details. The wheel liner has to come out first, but I can't recall -- is it the whole thing that comes out? When I tried to do it today, it appeared that it was 2 parts riveted together, and you had to remove the whole thing. When the service manager did it, he didn't remove the wheel -- he just reached around and removed the screws, then yanked the liner out past the wheel -- a tight squeeze. I thought it was just part, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm reluctant to do it, cause I'm not sure I could get it back in place without removing the wheel, and I don't feel like jacking up the car to do that.

Anyone got some info here? Does the whole thing have to come out? How many screws? How easy is it to re-install? What a pain!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. It simply says to remove the wheel well liner. You'd think they'd tell you how, and have a diagram of where the screws are. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
If you read paragraph #3 above you'll note that it asks you to remove the access panel FROM the wheel arch liner. As in the cover attaches to the liner itself directly. So it should be immediately reachable without removing the liner. The three fasteners need a "hexagonal key" for their removal and such is included in the factory tool kit. A hexagonal key is commonly referred to here in the Colonies as an Allen Wrench.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>I just looked at mine, there is a wheel arch liner, it appears to be held in place by four or so screws. Itd be easier if you take off the front wheel. <<<

So...the manual is wrong here?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>No, I think the cover with bolts is beneath the wheel arch liner, they just don't mention the need to pull the arch liner first I guess. <<<

Oh...well from how the manual was written, it sounds like they were saying that the access panel is mounted to the liner itself in paragraph 3 above...that's what I meant by an error. So you are saying that the actual access panel does not get removed FROM the wheel arch liner as they wrote. Or is there more than one liner?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Stan,
Looking at the wheel arch, the liner appears to be held on by machine screws. two at the front bottom of the wheel well and two at the rear bottom, might be two more at the top of the arch but really didn't look. Looking at the wheel arch liner, you can see the bulge where the bulb housing would be, I'm assuming you have to remove the wheel arch liner to access the hex head bolts. So it's a bit confusing I think reading it, but would probably pretty straightforward to do, wouldn't think it'd take more than 45 minutes each side.

Chris

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, the access panel with the hex screws is part of the car body, BEHIND the black plastic wheel liner. The black plastic liner has to come off first. It's more than 4 screws. The black plastic liner is actually in 2 parts -- unfortunately, they're riveted together. Otherwise, it would be a whole lot easier. :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've taken mine out on both sides. It is easier if you remove the wheel. Then you remove 3 screws and take out the forward liner (they are nothing like what is in the service manual, or owners manual).

You will then see 6 fasteners (3 10mm nyloc nuts and 3 allen head fasteners). The lens assembly is removed by removing the allen head bolts. You can then access the aiming screws and the bulb, but the bulb is easier to access if you also remove the mounting assembly (10mm screws).

Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts