The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
You have picture (or diagram) that illustrates this speedometer "fitting"?
holy necrobump!! :p

i just checked a couple pics from when i changed my tranny and found one with the speedo hole cover. it's circled in yellow below:

pretty sure i found out what that was from the toyota C60 FSM.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thx!!!!!! This easily accessible under the car I hope!
if i recall correctly, that's actually accessible from the the top, in the engine bay. which makes it easier to fill, and doesn't require a pump (like the normal fill hole does).

EDIT: and now that i look at the pic, that's just not possible with the axle located where it is, lol. there IS a hole i used to fill from the top though. i'm going to the garage to look at the tranny, gimme a few.
EDIT2: yep, just checked, that's definitely the speed sensor cover, the angle is just "odd" (it's above the axle when mated to the engine). if you use that hole to fill, also unbolt the normal fill plug as well (and fill until that one begins overflowing), otherwise you will overfill A LOT.

·
Registered
112 Posts
if i recall correctly, that's actually accessible from the the top, in the engine bay. which makes it easier to fill, and doesn't require a pump (like the normal fill hole does).

EDIT: and now that i look at the pic, that's just not possible with the axle located where it is, lol. there IS a hole i used to fill from the top though. i'm going to the garage to look at the tranny, gimme a few.
EDIT2: yep, just checked, that's definitely the speed sensor cover, the angle is just "odd" (it's above the axle when mated to the engine). if you use that hole to fill, also unbolt the normal fill plug as well (and fill until that one begins overflowing), otherwise you will overfill A LOT.
Thx for the tips! So one request. Can u provide a pic and highlight this hole from the top :)

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I'm planning a tranny fluid change soon. This thread is great, very much appreciated.

With my 1986 Tercel, I became quite acquainted with tranny fluid. For the last few years of its life I was topping it up evey few months.
:(

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I thought I'd post a few photos.

The opening for the fill hole is about 5/8 inch. So I bought a tube of 1/2 inch outer diameter and 3/8 inch inner diameter. I cut it to a length of 4 feet. Since the tube was snug in the fill hole I also inserted a screwdriver to allow some airflow.

As you can see my daughter helped. I used Castrol Synthetic 75w90 GL5 which is what my local Lotus dealer uses.

1) A picture of the fill and drain holes with the plugs removed.
2) My daughter helping out.
3) The tampered end of the Castrol bottle nicely fit in the tube.
4) The tube before filling.
5) The tube during filling.

The whole process went smoothly and was not at all messy. The old oil, even at 93,000 km, looked fairly clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
Which oil was in prior to the change? Was it the original from the factory or Redline?

I was experiencing some gear engagment issues at about 5k miles. BH Lotus suspected mechanical problems, but rather than change the trans they changed the gear oil with OEM oil. 6k miles later problem is still gone even though shifts are still kinda notchy when cool (3rd gear upshift is notchy and getting into 1st at the light can be frustrating.) On the track the shifts are great though...go figure. I suppose the oil thins down and makes it all come together more harmoniously.

Anyway, Allen at BH Lotus swears by the OEM fluid and states that the Redline MT90 is more slippery thus gives great shifts but ultimately causes premature synchro wear. He says that he's solved perceived synchro wear in MT90 cars by replacing the oil with OEM. Just what I was told. I would think they would sell whatever oil meets Lotus specs that provides the best performance, and they don't sell MT90.

What I learned is to change the oil often since the old oil did have synchro material (fine dust) and apparently this was causing enough friction to make the shifts notchy.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Thought I would bump this instead of creating my own thread. I have a factory Torsen LSD and am wondering if it would still be advisable to use the MT90. In my RX-8, the LSD used Redline 75W90, however in the RX-8 the transmission and the LSD were separate while in the Elise the transmission and LSD would share the same fluid.

·
Registered
130 Posts
+1 MT-90 - good, cheap pump option

+1 for the MT-90, I just changed mine with it and shifting seems very noticeably smoother.

I see many used a funnel and tube, a good option, I bought this cheap pump from Harbor Freight and it worked like a champ.

Multi-Use Transfer Pump

I cut one of the red hoses that comes with it in half to minimize fluid loss in a longer hose run, still plenty of length, one half to the bottle, other half into the fill hole. Many have complained about the patience required to use a hand pump to transfer fluid, I'm guessing they may have been using one of those screw top pumps (like on a hand soap bottle), I can see where one of those would take forever. The one in the link that I used has a big bore, it took all of eight strokes to empty a quart bottle of fluid, very fast and easy.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm happy to report that 1 qt of royal purple synchromesh and ~1.2 qts of redline fixed my 3rd year grind when cold issue. Shifts are much smoother too!

I have a 2010 with 35k miles on it. It started grinding when cold about 2-3k miles ago.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
No, I have an open diff.
I used the Motul 75W90 based on the information here and Sector's recommendation from their store. Many members have positive feedback on it, Redline MT-90 is another choice.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Pardon me while I drain and refill that again.........

Darn, I did not know that. I have to check again what kind of fluid I used, because I definitely don't have an LSD

61 - 80 of 90 Posts