The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you been quoted or charged to perform an alignment on your Elise / Exige?

I prefer input from ppl / drivers in Texas, Dallas if possible, and from where?

Thank you in advance

Steve

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We charge $149.95 for an Elise/Exige alignment at SoulSpeed.
$149.95 for shims and all? That sounds like a great price!

Steve

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Gashead Motorworks here in Houston charges $150 as well. Excellent job and quick enough to do it while you wait.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Gashead did mine here in Houston, its been a while and I dont remember what they charged, but Im sure it was the $150 as posted above.. If I were in Austin I would have no problems using Soulspeed as they are great guys too.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
$150 is cheap if they're going to do the camber and castor shims. If it's just toe adjustments $70-80 sounds about right.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Back when I did suspension alignments we charged 59.00 for a 4 wheel alignment. (I think its up to 70.00 now)

(set to OE specs, or special specs if requested.)

Specialty shops love raping you for an alignment....or maybe its just that we're in West Texas...dunno. There aren't any specialty shops here...so theres about 4 places to get an alignment. (other than some of the larger dealerships.)

We used Hunter machines.

That was camber/caster/toe...we charged 20 bucks to set the toe only. (I believe thats 36.00 now)

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back when I did suspension alignments we charged 59.00 for a 4 wheel alignment. (I think its up to 70.00 now)

(set to OE specs, or special specs if requested.)

Specialty shops love raping you for an alignment....or maybe its just that we're in West Texas...dunno. There aren't any specialty shops here...so theres about 4 places to get an alignment. (other than some of the larger dealerships.)

We used Hunter machines.

That was camber/caster/toe...we charged 20 bucks to set the toe only. (I believe thats 36.00 now)
so, on a LOTUS ELISE:

$20.00 to set toe only
$59.00 for full alignment, shims, and all..

Questions:

How do you stay in business?

We know the cost of a Hunter alignment machine....
What model do you have?
Cost of labor? What are you paying your guys an hour?

just curious?

S

·
Registered
821 Posts
so, on a LOTUS ELISE:

$20.00 to set toe only
$59.00 for full alignment, shims, and all..

Questions:

How do you stay in business?

We know the cost of a Hunter alignment machine....
What model do you have?
Cost of labor? What are you paying your guys an hour?

just curious?

S
That shop has been in business 20+ yrs....Don't buy the newest machine out...they aren't any more accurate than one that's a few years old. He usually bought his machines off the Hunter rep took them out of a shop that closed down and checked them over. I assume he still does the same. I can't remember the model of his current machine, but it is one of the ones that has no electronics on the wheels (uses the red blinking light...IIRC) I drive past there every so often.

I don't work there anymore. I'm a nurse now.

Its a small shop, think three employees including the owner. He has little overhead, as everything is paid off. He is suspension and brakes only....and keeps every bay full all the time.

I'm not certain on the current prices, but that is the case to the best of my knowledge. I worked there about 7yrs ago...his prices have gone up...but not to the 150.00 price the bigger city guys are experiencing.

The part I find comical is you guys think the Lotus is difficult to align. Its an alignment tech's dream car...very simple alignment...

Just because it says "LOTUS" on the back does not mean you should pay a premium for every service done to it. (oil changes shouldn't cost 250.00, alignments shouldn't cost 150.00)
You get what you pay for.
apparently not. He's the most respected suspension mechanic here. many other shops around town take cars to him for front end work, and No one has ever had a complaint with his work. Your statement is incredibly arrogant, and you are out of place saying such a thing in reference to this shop. Sorry, but I take offense to that.

Edit: my conclusion....
Basically it comes down to different markets will bear different prices. Austin, Houston will most definitely bear a larger price than Midland (city of 100,000). Land is cheaper, buildings are cheaper, labor, living expenses, etc are all cheaper. So I suppose I was incorrect to say you are being raped @ 150.00 for an alignment...So I appologize for that. But you Do NOT have to pay 150.00 for a quality alignment.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That shop has been in business 20+ yrs....Don't buy the newest machine out...they aren't any more accurate than one that's a few years old. He usually bought his machines off the Hunter rep took them out of a shop that closed down and checked them over. I assume he still does the same. I can't remember the model of his current machine, but it is one of the ones that has no electronics on the wheels (uses the red blinking light...IIRC) I drive past there every so often.

I don't work there anymore. I'm a nurse now.

Its a small shop, think three employees including the owner. He has little overhead, as everything is paid off. He is suspension and brakes only....and keeps every bay full all the time.

I'm not certain on the current prices, but that is the case to the best of my knowledge. I worked there about 7yrs ago...his prices have gone up...but not to the 150.00 price the bigger city guys are experiencing.

The part I find comical is you guys think the Lotus is difficult to align. Its an alignment tech's dream car...very simple alignment...

Just because it says "LOTUS" on the back does not mean you should pay a premium for every service done to it. (oil changes shouldn't cost 250.00, alignments shouldn't cost 150.00)

apparently not. He's the most respected suspension mechanic here. many other shops around town take cars to him for front end work, and No one has ever had a complaint with his work. Your statement is incredibly arrogant, and you are out of place saying such a thing in reference to this shop. Sorry, but I take offense to that.

Edit: my conclusion....
Basically it comes down to different markets will bear different prices. Austin, Houston will most definitely bear a larger price than Midland (city of 100,000). Land is cheaper, buildings are cheaper, labor, living expenses, etc are all cheaper. So I suppose I was incorrect to say you are being raped @ 150.00 for an alignment...So I appologize for that. But you Do NOT have to pay 150.00 for a quality alignment.
I know this gets off the OT but now you have me curious. I will show my hand first as a point of comparison:

1. Equipment Cost $50-60k :cool:
2. Tech Cost $30-40 per hour :up:
3. Actually, the new machines are more accurate.;)
4. The size of the shop doesn't really matter, as quality of Service does. Have you seen the " size " of Norwood Performance? ;)
5. No one said Lotus was difficult. There is more time involved in performing an alignment on a Lotus than a F150. Therefore the charges should be different. :shrug:
6. Please note there is a difference between a drain and fill " Oil Change " and an " Oil Service ".. as there is a difference between a "toe adjustment", "4 wheel alignment", and "corner balancing" a Lotus. EX: You could go to a Jiffy Lube and get your oil changed by the $8 per hour employee or you could go to the Dealership and have the Oil Service performed by someone who was trained to work with Lotus, who knows what to look for when completing the service itself. :wave:
7. You are right, cost of living makes a difference. But it certainly doesn't mean one shop is better than another. ( OR make one shop's charges incorrect or unfair. )

Thank you for sharing your opinion and experiences, obviously they are valid since you have been in the industry for that time that you were.

Steve
:shift:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I gladly pay the $150 for a shop that knows the specs to do a Track alignment (not factory spec alignment) on a lotus. Someone who I can also go back to who I can explain what Im feeling in my car and he will know what changes need to be made and the consequences of those changes.

I highly doubt a small alignment shop can accomplish these tasks for me... Both Gashead Motorwoks (in Houston) and Soulspeed (in Austin) can do these things for you. I also dont have to worry about these guys lifting my car wrong way or driving it around and wrecking it (as they have driven many of them and know the quirks).

If you just want a factory spec alignment that I would guess most shops will do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts