The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
zOOmz said:
"In Lee County, the sheriff's office reported one hurricane-related death in North Fort Myers when a man in his early 20s stepped outside during the full force of the hurricane to smoke a cigarette."

Funny how people just don't get it.
I told you that smoking kills. :no:

That guy is a candidate for a Darwin Award.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I'm Ok. My mother lives one town south of Daytona Beach and the power is out, and trees are everywhere and they expect it to be without electricity for a few days, so her and some of her neighbors are coming to stay at my house.

I'm worried about a girl that I work with. Her parents live in Port Charlotte and wanted to leave yesterday about 4PM to go to her house, but they were told it was too late to evacuate. The storm was predicted to hit somewhere else so they were never told to leave.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The storm completely missed us, but my grandma lives on the water in Punta Gorda. We still haven't been able to get a hold of her.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
My mother lives in Cape Coral which got a direct hit and not a bit of damage or broken glass, very, very lucky I think.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Feffman said:
You guys OK in Florida? Let us know if we can help.
I lost everything. :( My house got blown over and it landed on my car. And just the day before I had just liquidated all my investments and absent-mindedly left the cash by an open window. It all blew away. I forgot to renew my insurance policies, so I can't get any reimbursement for the property damage. At the same time, my office got struck by an electrical discharge which destroyed all of our computer hardware. As it turns out, we have no backups of our software and have lost the ability to fulfill our contractual obligtions to our clients. Many of them have already taken legal action against us. I'm now homeless jobless, and penniless. I had to beg this guy to use his laptop at McDonald's so I could post this message. I'm afraid that the only thing that would help me out now is a shiny new Elise. Please help! ;) :p

·
Registered
157 Posts
Re: Re: Charley!!!

transio said:
I lost everything. :( My house got blown over and it landed on my car. And just the day before I had just liquidated all my investments and absent-mindedly left the cash by an open window. It all blew away. I forgot to renew my insurance policies, so I can't get any reimbursement for the property damage. At the same time, my office got struck by an electrical discharge which destroyed all of our computer hardware. As it turns out, we have no backups of our software and have lost the ability to fulfill our contractual obligtions to our clients. Many of them have already taken legal action against us. I'm now homeless jobless, and penniless. I had to beg this guy to use his laptop at McDonald's so I could post this message. I'm afraid that the only thing that would help me out now is a shiny new Elise. Please help! ;) :p
Not too funny Steve! This is a serious thread. Some people DID lose everything, some were killed. (don't say "lighten up" on this one:no: )

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Hockydoc,

Honestly, I haven't even watched the damn thing in the news. Sure, people lose stuff in hurricanes. That's to be expected. That doesn't mean I'm making fun of THEM. Let's put this in perspective. If it weren't possible for someone to have lost everything in the hurricane, then it wouldn't even be funny for someone to claim it falsely in a feigned plea for a free Elise. And that's the joke, by the way: the plea for an Elise as assistance for someone who's lost everything. Hurricane or not. I could say I lost it all on the stock market and I need a new elise. Would you then cry about how insensitive that is because people HAVE lost everything on the stock market? How unbelievable or far off in the past does a joke's related meaning have to be for it considered "politically correct" for you?

·
Registered
157 Posts
steve,

I was just trying to point out that Mark started this thread as heartfelt support for any victim that may or may not be members of the elisetalk family. Also, shared willingness to help in any way.

I just felt it was a little insensitive to make a joke about it when certain members on our forum were impacted personally by the disaster.

·
Registered
758 Posts
'Disasters' of this nature are hard to react to.

Emotions say what happened was a horrible event. Certainly nothing to laugh at.

Intelligence says the people who were killed wanted to. While those who had property damaged made profit, if they desired.

At the end of the day, the people that wanted to live, did so; and thats all that matters. Houses can, and will, be rebuilt. One of the blessings of living in the 'first world'.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
old steam engines sported cow catchers. the good ole US of A sports a hurricane catcher. we call it florida

1 - 18 of 18 Posts