The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Randy,

It crossed my mind when I saw your setup at the LA auto show that what with the current trend for putting electronics into cars there could be a market to put chase cams or something similar in cars.

The idea would be to use 4 or 6 cameras to cover 360 deg about the car, hooked up to ideally solid state media storage and an accelerometer like the ones in airbags. The memory would loop maybe a minute of data, and stop recording when the accelerometer tripped. I.e. the car had an accident. That way there would be a minute of video as evidence of the accident.

Given that about 80% of drivers think that they are better than average, it could be sold as a "protection from the other reckless drivers" package. As I undersand it, optional extras on cars are the big money spinners for manufacturers at the moment, which should mean that they are interested in everything they can cram in a car.

Steve

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Already ahead of you. :)

The ChaseCam Automotive BlackBox is in work.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Hello Randy,

One of my friends is getting a GT3 in Feb and he would like a system like that incase someone gets overly aggressive on the road, or if the police try to over-state their case...

Do you have anything now that will just record about 1 hour or so and continually loop it on to a HHD? If it could record 3 cams at once that would be great.

Patrick
2005 Elise

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Patrick, such a system would be perfect! I too would love something like that. The thing is, it'd have to be discreet...there are times when video evidence may work against you instead, and in those cases, it's best if no one knows what sort of video equipment you have in your car...

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
MattG said:
The thing is, it'd have to be discreet...
Yes, I was thinking that...thanks for pointing that out. Hidden cameras are a must...

Patrick
2005 Elise

·
Registered
971 Posts
Patricko said:
That is purely for ascetic reasons...

Patrick
2005 Elise
?????

as·cet·ic (…-sµt“¹k) n. 1. A person who renounces material comforts and leads a life of austere self-discipline, especially as an act of religious devotion. --as·cet·ic adj. 1. Leading a life of self-discipline and self-denial, especially for spiritual improvement. See Synonyms at severe. 2. Pertaining to or characteristic of an ascetic; self-denying and austere: an ascetic existence. [Late Greek ask¶tikos, from Greek ask¶t¶s, practitioner, hermit, monk, from askein, to work.] --as·cet“i·cal·ly adv.

Or did you mean aesthetic?

aes·thet·ic or es·thet·ic (µs-thµt“¹k) adj. 1. Relating to the philosophy or theories of aesthetics. 2. Of or concerning the appreciation of beauty or good taste: the aesthetic faculties. 3. Characterized by a heightened sensitivity to beauty.

Since the elise is by no means a car for an ascetic.
:D

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Lumn8r said:
?????

as·cet·ic (…-sµt“¹k) n. 1. A person who renounces material comforts and leads a life of austere self-discipline, especially as an act of religious devotion.

Since the elise is by no means a car for an ascetic.
:D
I don't know about that. The description sounds a lot like a Lotus owner, and an Elise or 7 owner, in particular. :D

·
Registered
971 Posts
Patrick,

No problem, I wasn't criticizing, but there are times that I think that my second career will be as an English teacher.

And when you think about it. The Elise is for both the ascetic and the aesthetic.

The Elise Driver: A person who renounces material comforts and leads a life of austere self-discipline, while being characterized by a heightened sensitivity to beauty.

EDIT: Chris, I saw your post just after I posted this, and as you can see, I realized my earlier mistake.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts