The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cone Cam

Hey Randy,

Fill us in on how your booth is doing. Have your sold enough cam's to pay for your new elise yet? Have you worked out a deal with Lotus to include one with sport or touring packages? ;)

Someone needs to take some pictures of Randy at his booth and post them here. Some candid shots or something.:D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
What you first see walking into the LA AutoShow-

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Close up-

Note the camera and ChaseCam logo

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The camera is capturing live video of the people walking by...

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
My booth... now 40 foot long by 18 foot deep.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
That is the same kart I have, but a different one (this one is shiny and clean) :) And yes, we have two cameras mounted to it. The three rotor RX7 has about 5 cameras on it. We have cameras on helmets and the seat and all over the place.

On the plasma, we are playing the DVD Rendezvous which is drawing a lot of attention. I expect crowds on Friday. We killed a portable DVD player from 12 hours non-stop playing, so I am bringing up another player.

So far I am very pleased with the show. The show management has been just great. Many shows suck for not allowing this or that, or making you pay for things that this show does for free. They unloaded my van and truck and forklifted in all my stuff for free. Cleaning and carpet is included.

On the other hand, I am not paying $800 for broadband while I am the show. Not even sure I want to pay the $26 a day for internet. Parking is high, and if I want to be able to come and go, it's even more.

The Pantry is within walking distance (with cheaper parking near there) and the Chicken Fried Steak is decadent and very good.

We seem to have done our homework for this being my first show. No major surprises. No forgetting things. We have a full office set up here, we have inventory. We have people.

Side note, the crowd during the preview night last night was interesting, specially many that had paid $100 each get in.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Oh. One thing I was not expecting. This setting up and running the booth was all consuming! I knew it was a bit of work, but I did not expect it to be as much as it has been. And I would have liked to have spent more time at the Lotus booth, but that was not going to happen.

I found it very difficult to walk away from my booth. And setting up on the morning of the 30th meant I could not make it to the Lotus Booth (which is not close!) in time for the media presentation and my videotaping of it.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Dare I ask? If we "rendezvous" at your booth, can we pick up a certain calendar? I was forced to buy a Wicked Weasel calendar, but the SELOC version should complement it nicely.

(check out the bikini competitions, guys, at wickedweasel.com)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Randy,
Who did your 3 rotor project?
I have a single turbo 2 rotor FD that I will be selling for the elise. About 6 months ago I sold the 3 rotor I had been saving to put in the RX.
How do you feel about the 3 rotor when you compare it to the Elise?

Are you active on the big list or forum (RX-7)?
Best,
John

Randy Chase said:
That is the same kart I have, but a different one (this one is shiny and clean) :) And yes, we have two cameras mounted to it. The three rotor RX7 has about 5 cameras on it. We have cameras on helmets and the seat and all over the place.

On the plasma, we are playing the DVD Rendezvous which is drawing a lot of attention. I expect crowds on Friday. We killed a portable DVD player from 12 hours non-stop playing, so I am bringing up another player.

So far I am very pleased with the show. The show management has been just great. Many shows suck for not allowing this or that, or making you pay for things that this show does for free. They unloaded my van and truck and forklifted in all my stuff for free. Cleaning and carpet is included.

On the other hand, I am not paying $800 for broadband while I am the show. Not even sure I want to pay the $26 a day for internet. Parking is high, and if I want to be able to come and go, it's even more.

The Pantry is within walking distance (with cheaper parking near there) and the Chicken Fried Steak is decadent and very good.

We seem to have done our homework for this being my first show. No major surprises. No forgetting things. We have a full office set up here, we have inventory. We have people.

Side note, the crowd during the preview night last night was interesting, specially many that had paid $100 each get in.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
rendezvous

Randy,
Did you say you would have copies of rendezvous for sale at your booth? If you have them I want two in the A.M.
thanks
Chris

P.s. I will be flying out in 2 hrs see you at the pantry!:D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I have about 500 copies...minus some that I sold on Preview night. We anticipate selling out, but not before Friday. :)

Tomorrow is coming up fast. I drive out in a little bit.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I bought a copy of Rendezvous from a company in the UK a couple months ago. for those thinking about buying a copy, stop thinking a get it! A truely wild video and not a stunt to try and duplicate.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I saw this vid briefly on a friend's computer. I guess I wasn't paying much attention, because it didn't impress me much at the time. I am downloading it now from Kazaa to take a better look. I also assume that it's significantly more impressive on a plasma screen in high quality.

Incidentally, has anyone seen the "remake" that Nissan tried to do with the Z?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I have the remake here. Pretty cool.

This film is much better when understood as to how and what happened. It's history and more. No special effects. No cordoned off streets. Just a driver and a Ferarri and the main rule to get to the meeting point on time.

And yes, the remastered DVD with 5.1 Dolby Digital sound is a lot better. The main comment I hear at the show from people that own the old pirated video tape, is "wow, this is so much better quality."

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I thought that Randy might be interested. Here is some older Cone Cam footage (from 2002) that my codriver from last year took:

http://www.shimmysideways.com/movies/event10.mpg

We had the camera on my car a couple of times last season, but those recordings aren't on the site yet. I've seen plenty of people fighting with mounting a camcorder in their car to get decent footage. The Cone Cam definitely looks much more convenient and versatile.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Randy Chase said:
And yes, the remastered DVD with 5.1 Dolby Digital sound is a lot better. The main comment I hear at the show from people that own the old pirated video tape, is "wow, this is so much better quality."
My biggest complaint with the original is that the sound seems dubbed in. Do you happen to know if the audio is actual or reconstructed?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts