The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Chat with a Lotus technician

5K views 56 replies 25 participants last post by  khamai 
John Stimson said:
Since I referred to the percent change in spring rates, the weight of the car (or more relevant, the magnitude of the spring rates) doesn't matter...a 10% spring rate change is on par with the factory suspension package for the Miata, which doesn't significantly affect the ride smoothness.
Actually, this is the kind of information that I'm looking for.

I don't know if I should order the LSS package or not. And I won't be able to test drive one of each before ordering.

I also have a Miata (to go along with my Elan). Mine is an R package with the factory performance suspension. If you read discussions about Miata, most everyone will tell you how harsh and rough the R package suspension is. I, on the other hand, find it just perfect - you see I like a stiff suspension - and find the "stock" Miata suspension to be too soft.

I want to know if the "stock" Elise suspension and the LSS package will be similar to the Miata .vs. Miata R package suspension.

If it's a similar difference, I just might be opting for the LSS package...

Tim Mullen

John Stimson said:
Tim, I'm not sure which Miata you have, but in the case of the R-package, the ride harshness was due to extremely high damping rates in the Bilstein shocks. The sport suspensions in the 2nd generation cars used Bilstein shocks with much less aggressive rates, and some people consider the ride to be smoother than the base suspension with the standard shocks.
My R Package Miata is a '94 - the first year. I really don't think it's that much stiffer than "regular", and I like it...

Tim Mullen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.