The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Chat with a Lotus technician

5K views 56 replies 25 participants last post by  khamai 
I'm surprised at how small the difference in spring rates is. And I agree with John, a 10% increase doesn't sound like much, no matter how you slice it. I'm daily driving a car with spring rates almost 200% higher than stock. Sure, it's starting from a different basis, but judging from the numbers, by my standards I don't expect a rough ride from the LSS.

How a spring acts depends on where it is attached, and the angle. Imagine that the lower end of the spring is attached to the middle of the suspension arm. In that case, the spring will be compressed 0.5" if the wheel moves up 1". This means that you have a motion ratio of 0.5.

To quote Fred Puhn: "First, the stiffness of a suspension is not the stiffness of the spring all by itself. The important stiffness is that seen by the wheel or the body, which may be different on account of leverage." He uses the example above, and for an 800lb/in spring in the middle of the suspension arm, the vertical stiffness is 200lb/in. In the general case, you multiply by the motion ratio squared (Puhn uses the term "mechanical advantage" for the inverse of the motion ratio).

Edited for correct definition of motion ratio, see http://www.rc10.com/racerhub/techhelp/marc/Handling.5.html.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.