The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a little help. :wave: Cruising or accelerating there is a chattering noise from the front end, sounds a lot like when you put a card in your spokes on a bicycle. Faster speed equals faster chatter, and when brakes are applied, no noise. This implies a relation to the brakes, possibly. :shrug: Anyone else encounter this? I've been trying to ignore it but it has increased in volume in the last day to the point where I'm officially concerned. :panic:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hard braking or just slight pressure?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Maybe time to replace pads.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
You better check those pads before you drive again. There are no "squealer bars" on the pads to warn you when they are close to the end. If you are already nearing or at the backing, the next sound you may hear is a horrible grinding followed by several "Ka-Ching$" for new rotors.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...and now for the funny part. It started last week so I replaced the pads today; sound is still there! :shrug:

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Cross drilled rotors often crack at the holes. When you changed the pads did you take a good look at the rotors? Perhaps a pad is barely catching a crack edge :shrug:?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cross drilled rotors often crack at the holes. When you changed the pads did you take a good look at the rotors? Perhaps a pad is barely catching a crack edge :shrug:?
They looked ok but I wasn't looking for a crack; I'll have to pull the tires in the am and look again. Thanks for the suggestion. :D

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Also check your set screws. I don't have set screws any more after having a similar sounding issue. When I removed them, they were bent a bit which made them rattle under braking.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greased the pads after checking everything else; drove around to check and the sound was gone. :nanner: Pads were greased yesterday, probably just not enough. Problem solved, thanks to everyone for their suggestions. :bow:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts