The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=125558

Gist: Joint project between Subaru and Toyota. Projected weight of 2200 lbs. NA Boxer 4 cylinder producing 175. RWD. As well as an awd 300hp version.

TOKYO — Toyota's announcement this week that it is taking a significantly larger stake in Subaru's parent Fuji Heavy Industries — and that the two companies will join forces to develop a new sports car — is sensational news for performance buffs.

Even more encouraging is the persistent buzz in the Japanese media that the vehicle in question will be a small, inexpensive rear-wheel-drive coupe intended to sell in various global markets for less than $20,000.

The partners have released few official details, other than to say the car will get an all-new front-engine/rear-wheel-drive platform engineered by Subaru, will be powered by a Subaru boxer engine and will be assembled at Subaru's Ota plant in Gunma prefecture, beginning in mid-to-late 2011. Toyota is directing the design and overall development effort.

On Thursday, a Subaru of America spokesman confirmed the car will arrive in the U.S. in 2011, but Toyota representatives could not confirm if there will also be a Toyota-badged version for the States.

For Toyota, the new sports car will fill a gap left by the demise of earlier models such as the front-wheel-drive Celica and the midengine MRS/MR2. Subaru, which is best known among enthusiasts for its all-wheel-drive Impreza WRX, has never marketed a small rear-wheel-drive sports car like the one that's being jointly developed with Toyota.

Among the details circulating in the Japanese media: The car reportedly will use a shortened and lightened version of the Impreza platform, with a target weight of around 2,200 pounds. Overall length is said to be less than 160 inches.

The engine will be an updated 175-horsepower version of Subaru's normally aspirated 2.0-liter flat-4, with the potential to add a more powerful 300-hp turbocharged unit as well as all-wheel drive. The Subaru and Toyota variants will share some sheet metal, but will feature distinctive front and rear styling.

What this means to you: The combination of Subaru's engineering talent and Toyota's marketing muscle should help make this a formidable product, if the partners can meet their aggressive targets on weight, performance and price. — Paul Lienert, Correspondent

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
If they actually meet those numbers the AWD version would be a RallyCross monster - and thus I'd have to buy one. Might be cool.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah. I doubt that it will be 2200 lbs. The 2008 MX-5 is near 2500. It is doable. It all depends on how much crap they want to put in. Sound deadening, comfort crap, etc. But it seams to me that this is going to take the place of what the wrx sti used to be. Sort of. As the next gen WRX STi is becoming more refined, a rawer car needs to fill the market void it leaves behind. And I'd expect a 100~ lbs gain if you put in an awd IC turbo setup.

Either way, with a deadline set as 2011 by toyota and subaru, I expect to see some cool mock ups/spy photos soon.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I read about this a month or so ago.. I've been :drool: ing ever since.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
When I read it I took it to mean it might be AWD ("potential")...meaning that likely it wouldn't be. :shrug:

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Yah. I doubt that it will be 2200 lbs. The 2008 MX-5 is near 2500. It is doable. It all depends on how much crap they want to put in. Sound deadening, comfort crap, etc. But it seams to me that this is going to take the place of what the wrx sti used to be. Sort of. As the next gen WRX STi is becoming more refined, a rawer car needs to fill the market void it leaves behind. And I'd expect a 100~ lbs gain if you put in an awd IC turbo setup.

Either way, with a deadline set as 2011 by toyota and subaru, I expect to see some cool mock ups/spy photos soon.

I could be wrong or we both could be wrong, but judging on every other car I've seen, AWD alone will add at leats 100 lbs. I believe it's around 80-90 lbs on a Carrera to Carrera 4, and up to 250 lbs on a 328i to 328xi.

Turbo kits weigh a lot too. So who knows...

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All I know is, is that the US is seriously lacking when it comes to small, 2-door, awd, sports cars.(Oh how I long for an S3).

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
As far as AWD is concerned, weight is not the only concern. Additional drivetrain resistance is a concern, as is reliability.
Turbo + AWD = gas eater too. I've heard the additional resistance takes away from top end, etc.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Wasn't Toyota looking at building an updated version of the AE86? This project sounds more like that than a replacement for the MR2.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts