The Lotus Cars Community banner

cheap under clam skid protectors

772 15
Make your own. I bought rubber skid pad (step plate) material from Home Depot with peel/stick backing and cut out the shapes and fastened to the underside. Very durable, easy to fit, and cheap.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Saffron Yellow Lotus Elise; 2008 Porsche Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1; 2011 Audi S4 Manual
480 Posts
Are you able to see this when looking at the car from the front? I'm interested to see a picture of your car from the front to see how noticeable your solution might be.

I bought Sliplo over a year ago when I bought my Elise, but then haven't put it on as I was thinking it might be noticeable when looking at the car from the front (and I'll admit to being a bit lazy). I have just taken care to avoid going places where I might scrape the front of the clam since I haven't put the Sliplo on yet.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Tire

Reactions: Chemgee

·
Registered
2005 Saffron Yellow Lotus Elise; 2008 Porsche Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1; 2011 Audi S4 Manual
480 Posts
Perfect, thanks! Looks like you can't even really see them so I will definitely reconsider my decision to not put on the Sliplo.

On another note, great looking car (coming from another Saffron Yellow owner)! I wish I had the driving lights like your car as I go for a lot of very early morning drives before the sun is up, and the headlights suck. I'd love to have those driving lights for that bit of extra illumination.👍

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Elise SC
68 Posts
My understanding is that Sir Lotus chose polycarbonate so that it would be slippery and not grab the pavement. Question on the material from Home Depot. Is this a rubber-like material, and if so is it slippery enough?

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
1,277 Posts
My understanding is that Sir Lotus chose polycarbonate so that it would be slippery and not grab the pavement. Question on the material from Home Depot. Is this a rubber-like material, and if so is it slippery enough?
Your right,rubber is the wrong material in this application.Not only will it try to grab onto the asphalt the op just Reduced his ground clearance.
A layer or 2 of duct tape could be used until one learns how to judge what you can and can’t clear.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On another note, great looking car (coming from another Saffron Yellow owner)! I wish I had the driving lights like your car as I go for a lot of very early morning drives before the sun is up, and the headlights suck. I'd love to have those driving lights for that bit of extra illumination.👍
I bought my stock driving lights used from Hayes at Wire Wheel. Give him a shout.
as for "slippery" or thickness, or whatever, I had those polycarbonate ones from SirLotus on my first Elise and they were fine......except for the price!
i did the Home Depot route and have NO regrets. i've scraped once or twice since and no damage, just some wear to the "rubber" pads. they are staying glued on and have not disappointed. to each his own...

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Elise SC
68 Posts
i did the Home Depot route and have NO regrets. i've scraped once or twice since and no damage, just some wear to the "rubber" pads. they are staying glued on and have not disappointed. to each his own...
Thanks, this is really useful information. Must be that the rubber wears rather than grabbing the pavement.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I wonder if UHMW polyethylene would be a good material for making some DIY skid plates? Often used for low friction in woodworking jigs

·
Registered
425 Posts
I decided to try one of these urethane front splitters. I just got it but have yet to install. Seems like it will provide a little aero and protection for a good price.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise, British Racing Green
231 Posts
I decided to try one of these urethane front splitters. I just got it but have yet to install. Seems like it will provide a little aero and protection for a good price.
Please update how you like it once it's installed. I was taking a look at this splitter too

1 - 16 of 16 Posts