The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I mean, the only "stripped chassis" that wasn't apparently damaged (and badly) or missing most bits (or both) was this one:

And it's still around 10K to purchase, you'd have to ship it and pay import duties, and then it's not functional without spending a flipping fortune on all the bits it's missing PLUS the engine swap. And you'd have to wait for an S1 that was 25+ years old to import or an S2 (and then you'd have to federalize it) if you wanted to drive it on the road.

By the time you're done, you might as well have bought a federal Elise that had been branded with a salvage title.

·
Registered
341 Posts
i think prices will only go up because it seems the Lotus Elise era is OVER! i hope I'm wrong but it seems Lotus will not bring back anything close to what we own now.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I agree that prices will only go up. You may be able to find a branded title from $25-$30k functional and maybe around $16-$20 needing a bunch of work to make it street worthy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Think of how much fun you can have with any of a dozen cars on the track

Guys here who successfully track their cars pay 10k to drop 2 seconds a lap
Agreed 100%. Miatas I hear are an absolute blast on a track, and you'll spend hardly anything by comparison. Frankly I'd love to have a beater Miata: durable enough to thrash all day and you won't care about scratches and dents at all because, well, Miata.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi all,

Where can I get the cheapest Elise S1 or S2? I honestly want one so I can swap a K20 Honda engine in it and turn it into a track monster. And when I mean cheap, I mean Cheers.
...so basically looking for an Elise, minus engine and transmission....for 10k. At the end of the day you'll need slightly more than double that amount. If you want to stick to this budget the default is always Miata.... but you can always buy some sort of vintage road racer, which I think would be more fun and certainly more unique. ya can find these a zillion places ... stuff liI this SVRA Race Car Marketplace | SVRA

...at least that's what I'd do. Could even get into a formula ford or something.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
198 Posts
Decided I would look

About $10k
Also have to factor a rough estimate of about 5k (is that number high or low? I have no clue, just a guess) to get it shipped to the coast and then how ever much more to get it shipped to his door.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Just buy this swapped track monster and be done with it.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
I mean, the only "stripped chassis" that wasn't apparently damaged (and badly) or missing most bits (or both) was this one:

And it's still around 10K to purchase, you'd have to ship it and pay import duties, and then it's not functional without spending a flipping fortune on all the bits it's missing PLUS the engine swap. And you'd have to wait for an S1 that was 25+ years old to import or an S2 (and then you'd have to federalize it) if you wanted to drive it on the road.

By the time you're done, you might as well have bought a federal Elise that had been branded with a salvage title.
Hmmm... UKLotusCentre... have a read on SELOC before even thinking of making an offer for theses!!!

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
198 Posts

Just buy this swapped track monster and be done with it.
I agree, but hes about 45k short. :cry:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi all,

Where can I get the cheapest Elise S1 or S2? I honestly want one so I can swap a K20 Honda engine in it and turn it into a track monster. And when I mean cheap, I mean <$10,000. Just curious what people think of.
Cheers.
I have one for you for $13K Runs and drives

21 - 35 of 35 Posts