The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just got the dreaded check engine light came on last night on my 2004 Esprit. No driving or external issues that I detected that pre-empted the light coming on. Just driving the car home when it came on. Just had the standard oil change / basic service performed about a month ago, no issues according to the dealer.

Question: My servicing dealer is 3 hrs away, do I drive the car with the light on down to the dealer or flatbed it down to mitigate any potential issues that I may not be seeing?

I have not started the car back up again, wondering if I should do that.

Comments / Opinions?

Mark

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you don't own a OBDII scanner, go buy one. Without the code for the check engine light, it could be anything from "emissions codes" = gas cap not tight enough, to major issues. Being able to read the codes can make your life very easy. You can buy a bluetooth one or stand plug in model for less than $100

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joey, thank you for the sound advice, do you recommend a particular brand or model? I saw a Model Innova 6030P Code Reader on Amazon for 94.00 dollars or should I go to my local Autozone / NAPA? Living in a remote state doesn't give me many viable options but your advice is good. I do not have intentions of driving the car for the next week or so, so I have a little time.

Mark

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joey, thank you for the sound advice, do you recommend a particular brand or model? I saw a Model Innova 6030P Code Reader on Amazon for 94.00 dollars or should I go to my local Autozone / NAPA? Living in a remote state doesn't give me many viable options but your advice is good. I do not have intentions of driving the car for the next week or so, so I have a little time.

One more comment, since I new to this, where is the connection made with this device?

·
Registered
1998 Lotus Esprit V8
200 Posts

Mark
The OBD2 port is tucked up under the passenger side airbag cover area of the dash - there is also an ALDL connection there, so be sure to plug into the correct connection. Autozone or Advance can plug in a reader and give you the code for free. One you know the code, you can begin to determine what needs to be done. Any basic OBD2 code reader should work for engine management codes (though you need an old-school Tech1 computer to diagnose airbag or ABS codes). I wouldn't send anything three hours one way to a dealer on a flatbed unless it is an extremely severe issue. Even then, these cars are so analog that we can probably advise you properly once we know the code.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Check that you have the correct gas cap (it didn't get mixed up and switched at a gas station) and that it is on all the way (it ratchets (clicks)). Other than that there are just too many possibilities to guess at it. Get the codes pulled for free at an Autozone or somewhere that does it. Any reader should be able to get the important ones and if the light is on it is important enough that you should be able to get it with any reader. If you don't notice any difference while driving it isn't a really bad code but something is not right. If I had to guess it probably has to do with your O2 sensors. Tends to be a common issue with the Lotus V-8. A bad sensor, a bad cat, or someone mixed up the pre and post sensor plugs. Doesn't affect driving but you can't pass emissions.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
302 Posts
FWIW, in general a solid CEL means check the engine soon, but a flashing CEL means stop driving ASAP as it's a potentially damaging fault.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
Isn't the best OBDII connector to use, the one in the trunk? It is just ahead (forward) of the battery on the right side.

That said, the previous advice is sound. Get the code read at an auto parts store. (They will surely ask you where the connection is, LOL)

post back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is great advice from all of you (Joey, SJW1971, jtrealty, 2Manycars, carbuff)
Let me pick this up from Autozone or get the check done and I will post back shortly. I will also check the gas cap to make sure it is on all the way!!!

Thank you everyone!!!!!!!!

Mark (Maine)
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

M
MMAINE
Registered

Joined Jun 11, 2018
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · 8 h ago

Hello, just got the dreaded check engine light came on last night on my 2004 Esprit. No driving or external issues that I detected that pre-empted the light coming on. Just driving the car home when it came on. Just had the standard oil change / basic service performed about a month ago, no issues according to the dealer.

Question: My servicing dealer is 3 hrs away, do I drive the car with the light on down to the dealer or flatbed it down to mitigate any potential issues that I may not be seeing?

I have not started the car back up again, wondering if I should do that.

Comments / Opinions?

Mark

SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Joey"]https://www.lotustalk.com/d2/avatars/m/5/5550.jpg?1596212010[/IMG]
Joey
Registered

Joined May 16, 2006
49 Posts
#2 · 8 h ago

If you don't own a OBDII scanner, go buy one. Without the code for the check engine light, it could be anything from "emissions codes" = gas cap not tight enough, to major issues. Being able to read the codes can make your life very easy. You can buy a bluetooth one or stand plug in model for less than $100

Joey Shreve
2002 Lotus Esprit #052
West Chester Ohio

Reactions:carbuff
SaveShare
Reply Quote
M
MMAINE
Registered

Joined Jun 11, 2018
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · 7 h ago

Mark

SaveShare
Reply Quote

M
MMAINE
Registered

Joined Jun 11, 2018
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · 7 h ago

MMAINE said:

One more comment, since I new to this, where is the connection made with this device?

SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="sjw1971"]https://www.lotustalk.com/d2/avatars/m/46/46713.jpg?1597458954[/IMG]
sjw1971

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Definitely get yourself an OBDII reader, even a cheap basic one. I doubt that a fancy expensive one would be any better because they both read the basic generic fault codes, but probably neither one would interpret Lotus specific codes.

Likely as not it's something minor. My 2003 occasionally will throw a P0442 code (small emissions system leak) but it's easily reset and then stays off for a couple months. Last time it happened the CEL actually went out on it's own after a hundred miles or so driving.

The reader is also useful for checks such as verifying 100% full throttle opening via the throttle position (TP) sensor, and confirming the ECU program load.

On my code reader the trunk and the dash OBDII connections provide the same data set. I generally use the trunk connection because it's easier to access.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
71Type65, good information, I went last night and located the ports both under the front dash and by the battery, you are correct, the port located near the battery is much easier to access. I have a local Autozone in town, they have 2 types of scanners, one a standard and one they rent out. They offered to check with both scanners for free, I am bringing it over on Tuesday and will let you know. Either way, an investment in one of these devices sounds like a prudent move.

Mark

Definitely get yourself an OBDII reader, even a cheap basic one. I doubt that a fancy expensive one would be any better because they both read the basic generic fault codes, but probably neither one would interpret Lotus specific codes.

Likely as not it's something minor. My 2003 occasionally will throw a P0442 code (small emissions system leak) but it's easily reset and then stays off for a couple months. Last time it happened the CEL actually went out on it's own after a hundred miles or so driving.

The reader is also useful for checks such as verifying 100% full throttle opening via the throttle position (TP) sensor, and confirming the ECU program load.

On my code reader the trunk and the dash OBDII connections provide the same data set. I generally use the trunk connection because it's easier to access.

View attachment 1290123

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, follow up to Check Engine code on 2004 Esprit.
The code came up as P0111 which I believe is "Intake Air Temperature Sensor Circuit Range / Performance.
The Autozone software does not list Lotus in it's database so we plugged the code into the software using a 2004 Lexus GS and this was the description. The code seems to be somewhat universal as I also plugged it into a Ford F150 Truck and the description came up as the same. The scanner code came up as P0111.

On the bottom of the scanner report, it said "secondary DTC" (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) P0111, P1301, P0442
I do not believe the car has all of these code issues, I think the secondary DTC is provided as a "similar to" P0111 but the scanner specifically highlighted P0111.

Ok, next step? Solutions on how to cure this, is it drivable? Will I cause any damage to it? Seemed to run fine to the Autozone and back.
I am not the most mechanically inclined (I just drive them!!) but willing to tackle it if the community thinks this is a DO it yourself type issue.

Thank you all, waiting for your comments. (I will be traveling but will be checking in, not driving the Lotus until I hear back from the forum. The scanner as an Innova brand.

Mark (Maine)

·
Registered
1998 Lotus Esprit V8
200 Posts
Ok, follow up to Check Engine code on 2004 Esprit.
The code came up as P0111 which I believe is "Intake Air Temperature Sensor Circuit Range / Performance.
The Autozone software does not list Lotus in it's database so we plugged the code into the software using a 2004 Lexus GS and this was the description. The code seems to be somewhat universal as I also plugged it into a Ford F150 Truck and the description came up as the same. The scanner code came up as P0111.

On the bottom of the scanner report, it said "secondary DTC" (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) P0111, P1301, P0442
I do not believe the car has all of these code issues, I think the secondary DTC is provided as a "similar to" P0111 but the scanner specifically highlighted P0111.

Ok, next step? Solutions on how to cure this, is it drivable? Will I cause any damage to it? Seemed to run fine to the Autozone and back.
I am not the most mechanically inclined (I just drive them!!) but willing to tackle it if the community thinks this is a DO it yourself type issue.
P0111 is the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor. It is easily seen as you look at the engine from the rear of the car. It is mounted in the intake elbow, post turbo on the right hand side directly in front of the coolant header tank. With the boot floor removed it is clearly visible and easily removed, but you should be able to access it without removing the boot floor if you have small hands and a lot of patience. It is #6 in the diagram below.

I would first check that the electrical connection is free of corrosion and that you have good contact. Clean the contacts if necessary and apply dielectric grease to the rubber/plastic boot. The part itself is not expensive and it isn't out of the question that this 17 year old sensor has simply given up the ghost.

P1301 is misfire cylinder 1. Since the ECM is not seing the correct voltage from your IAT, it is likely you created a misfire as the correct inlet air temperature and manifold absolute pressure from the MAP sensor are needed by the computer to control the combustion process properly. Solving P0111 likely cures your misfire issue, though there could be other related causes that should be investigated, such as:

• Spark plug fault or failure
  • Plug lead loose or perished
  • Ignition coil circuitry issue
  • Ignition coil problem
  • Low compression in cylinder 1
If you solve the P0111 issue but you still get a misfire on cylinder one (or any other for that matter), then you will need to investigate this issue further.

P0442 is small evaporative leak. Unrelated to the above two issues and should not create any driveability issues whatsoever. Most common cause of this code is a loose or failing fuel cap. Beyond that, you could possibly have some points in your evaporative hoses that have gotten old and brittle and the ECM is able to see that fuel vapors are potentially escaping into the atmosphere. This one will require some sniffing around (no pun intended). Hopefully it's just that fuel cap, or possibly brittle evap hoses. It is common on these (and just about any older) cars.

With the IAT not functioning properly, you do not want to be driving in a situation where you are creating boost. Pretty tough to do in an Esprit, and since the boost gauge went away in '98, nearly impossible to tell without an OBD2 monitor.

OEM part# is A918E6065F, cross referenced part #'s for this IAT are numerous and very affordable. An example is here: Home » Shop » Sensors » Temp Sensors » Fast-Response GM Delphi / Packard Intake Air Temperature Sensor ( IAT / MAT / ACT ) or Manifold Air Temperature Sensor # 25036751 - 25037225 - 25037034 RECOMMENDED - it's a $15 part. Replacement does not require, but is easiest with removal of the boot floor. I'd clean the contacts first and start there. If that doesn't fix the problem, then onto the new sensor. If no luck, then you'll need to probe a little deeper as to why the IAT is not sending the proper voltage to the ECM.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Amazing the level of knowledge on this forum!!!
How do you guys (Lotus wizards) know this stuff? I am a physician, so I'm not stupid, but I find this stuff difficult to figure out. Appreciate your insight.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
This stuff is all in the manuals. Unlike humans, Lotus's come with service manuals. As for all of your codes, deal with the first one and then clear them all and see if any return. Some codes may appear momentarily and get stored and not even light up the warning light like a single hiccup. Other codes may appear because of the initial code. If they keep coming back then you fix them. Rare for a sensor to go bad, more often it is a wiring or connector problem so rule that out before replacing the sensor. Otherwise you could replace an expensive sensor (after having to wait for it) and continue to have the problem. The scanner you used can't actually interrogate the sensor so you can see the raw data and see what the sensor is saying to the ECU. That would be my next step but you need a Tech 1, an engine cartridge and cable to do that. Diagnosing is often the hardest part especially if the trouble is intermittent. Once you get a correct diagnosis, the actual repair is easy. Kind of like medicine.
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
"Kind of like medicine" LOL David!

My theory is, breathing our Esprit's "Lotus Perfume" (gas odor) for years makes us SMARTER. 😏

Who needs Prevagen's "secret ingredient" derived from jellyfish? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
124 Posts
"Kind of like medicine" LOL David!
One practices Medicine. One practices law. One practices Lotus maintenance. Once you learn to think in each discipline, learn the instructions and apply the basics they're each pretty simple to the practitioner. I only partake in two of the three.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts