The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have owned the Exige for less than a week now.

Did normal driving today to take the wife to lunch whom I love so much for letting me buy the Lotus (okay im sucking up).....Never got over 45. Although I did scrape the front splitter today (serious "awe ****") Still in tact but hated that noise, rubbed a little Star Guard off the edge.

Tightened gas cap before I left work, filled up a little later. Still have light. Going to the Local dealer in town tomm. that can service BMW and Mercedes to get codes.

Ill let everyone know how it turns out............

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Anyone seen code: P171 - System too lean, bank 1?????? Have it cleared but I'm wondering air leak?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Anyone seen code: P71 - System too lean, bank 1?????? Have it cleared but I'm wondering air leak?
Looks like P0171 and according to the thread below it may be one of the following:

"Potential failure modes" for P0171, it doesn't list MAF sensor failure... Here they are:

• Fuel Pressure too low
• Air leak in system
• Water in fuel
• Exhaust leak / crack before front oxygen sensor
• Injector fault
• Sensor connector and wiring for signs of corrosion or loose connections
Check this thread: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/exige-s-2500-miles-cel-code-p0171-48132/

I doubt it's anything too serious but if it pops up again, I would check for vacuum leak and any loose connections first then try a new tank of gas.... if problem is still there, I would check the exhaust leak. I doubt it's an injector fault, unless you feel something else wrong with your car.

Also, I have a bluetooth OBD II code reader in my car at all times so if you need it for some reason I can lend it to you as well (I just don't like dealerships :panic:)

·
Registered
252 Posts
How did the previous owner drive the car? If it was mostly used for short trips around town, it might have carbon deposits or clogged injectors.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chimp PO did use it for short trips over the past year when it was driven.

Tyler, car is running fine! Came up again after 3 starts just as it should. I'll check for vacuum leaks tomm. May need you to stop by and reset it for me.

·
Registered
553 Posts
maybe the car doesn't like the owner. You can give her to me. I'll take care of her.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You can also clean your MAF. Get some MAF cleaner of sorts and make it nice and shiny again. If you have a CAI on the car, it can also cause the problem since the MAF gets dirty in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very funny Tyler, that's what my daughter said too. Picked up some static numbers today for autox. My daughter will be here the 11th, don't know if she will race the evo with my potential son in law or be a second driver on the Lotus. My Dad is driving up too. I'm stoked!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Were you able to read O2 sensor feedback? See if you can read the voltages (real time) with the OBD reader. I've just gone thru p0171 myself...ended up being an oxy sensor

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
spumoni1984, no did not get the readings, so if I can read the voltages what am I looking for?

·
Registered
246 Posts
spumoni1984, no did not get the readings, so if I can read the voltages what am I looking for?
Nothing specific, really. You should be able to pull the voltage output of the pre-cat and post-cat sensor. As the car runs, you should see the output changing with revs/load. If the output isn't changing...that is the bad sensor. If both are changing you can rule out oxy sensors.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
07 Exige. Only mods are Kold Fire 270 Tune. Going to check for leaks later today as a start.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts