The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

thought you might want to see the shift knob and license frame i made.

the bad news is that i cannot make these for sale because i was told by LOTUS cars north america that LOTUS was not interested in licensing manufacturers here in the states :(

maybe if you guys push them we can get something done :p

also here is a pic of the badge i put on my gas cap. i got it from Sector 111. i am going to remove the gas cap when i get a chance and actually recess it flush into the door.

i also changed out the rear letters for the badge and it looks MUCH nicer!!!! :clap:

regards
george

·
Registered
591 Posts
George,

I was hoping you would make something. Can you make it with a plastic shift pattern instead of the Lotus emblem and avoid the licensing issue?

Greg

Edited for poor typing!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Racer X said:
George,

I was hoping you would make something. Can you make it with a plastic shift pattern instead of the loyus emblem and avoid the licensing issue?

Greg

actually i sure can. not a bad idea at all.

let me come up with something and i will post it :D

regards
george

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
There's a point where more is more - you may have passed it

·
Registered
31 Posts
can you post a picture of the back with the letters removed and the badge on.

While we are at it, how hard was it to take the letters off?

hard to apply the lotus emblem?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Racer X said:
George,

I was hoping you would make something. Can you make it with a plastic shift pattern instead of the loyus emblem and avoid the licensing issue?

Greg
Just for your general
information: Asked a custom embroidery
cap company to print TEAM LOTUS on one
and they said no. However, just the word
LOTUS is not an infringement and that
they approved. Due to the fact that the
word Lotus is listed as a plant in the
dictionary, means no one can control the
word in its basic form. Maybe you'd want
to integrate the word into the top of the knob. P.S. - Another thought! Perhaps a
fancy 'E' would also look good.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
However, just the word LOTUS is not an infringement and that
they approved. Due to the fact that the word Lotus is listed as a plant in the dictionary, means no one can control the word in its basic form.
Mostly true. However, the Lotus Font, colors, etc. are most likely trade marked as a design. You can't copy the Lotus Logo or the way the word "Lotus" is written in the manuals and advertising as that would be a copy right infringement.

Same thing with the word "Ford" - it's also a word meaning to cross a river (among other things). However, put it in a blue oval, or the old fashioned Ford script, and you are violating the copy right.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The all aluminum stock one transfers too much hot and cold. I got the half leather one from Lotus, its OK.

It is important that the top is not metal. It will give you a nasty burn here in Dallas in the summer when it get 110 degrees.

Greg

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
TimMullen said:
Mostly true. However, the Lotus Font, colors, etc. are most likely trade marked as a design. You can't copy the Lotus Logo or the way the word "Lotus" is written in the manuals and advertising as that would be a copy right infringement.

Same thing with the word "Ford" - it's also a word meaning to cross a river (among other things). However, put it in a blue oval, or the old fashioned Ford script, and you are violating the copy right.
Difference between a word like 'ford' and 'Lotus' is that you can't capitalize the first letter in ford, that signifys the car, but you can with Lotus since it is a plant that's been in the dictionary way before Lotus existed. Simple block type lettering wouldn't be an infringement, only a specific way Lotus designs a form of logo. There are other
companies that are also named Lotus.
Same goes for them.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
MGW said:
actually i sure can. not a bad idea at all.

let me come up with something and i will post it :D

regards
george
George,

If you do the plastic shift pattern the same dimensions as the lotus badge like Randy mentioned "Altough I don't see that reply anymore you might have two separate threats" you could sell it with the patern and sell the badges from lotus. If you could screw the top part off to replace the plastic piece that would ceirtainlly work.

·
Registered
486 Posts
George...I would think that you would be able to manufacture a shift knob using "customer supplied parts". We do it all the time for our customers...we build custom cable assemblies.

So, if I were to ship you, say, 30 inserts, would you be able to manufacture 30 shift knobs for me?:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts