The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a write up on how to check/change/fill the transmission fluid on these cars? I've done it on a lot of vehicles but of course I feel stupid when looking at my Lotus. :facepalm

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
There is a fill and drain plug on the transmission. Unscrew the fill plug first then the drain after. After it's done fill it up until it starts running out of the fill hole. Plug it back up and you are gtg.

·
Registered
7,240 Posts

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,603 Posts
+1 it's easy.

I have done it twice just as described. Kinda messy if your like me though. I would do it where you don't mind the mess or have something under the car like cardboard.

Oh yeah the most important trick... Loosen the fill plug first ! Some people have issues getting it loose. Just in case you have a issue you don't want to find out having already emptied the tranny:facepalm

What you going to fill it up with ?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
One more tip: there is a port on top of the gearbox that is unused. It just has a cover on it. It's a little hard to get to, but I found it to be a much easier way to refill. You just need a long funnel or funnel and length of hose. Be sure to clean the area around the port very diligently before removing the cover.

You can see the cover just ahead of the rear mount:

044.jpg

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
One more tip: there is a port on top of the gearbox that is unused. It just has a cover on it. It's a little hard to get to, but I found it to be a much easier way to refill. You just need a long funnel or funnel and length of hose. Be sure to clean the area around the port very diligently before removing the cover.

View attachment 349729

Whao thats crazy. Looks like it was meant for it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

View attachment 349729
God...I hate to ask this, I really do....:facepalm can you circle the port. i'm like 90% I see it...but still

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
My computer skills are pretty much point-n-click.
In the photo, the small cover is just to the right of the shift cables as they curve up over the trans case. It is round, with a raised rib extending to the right. A hex head bolt goes through the rib to secure the cover.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is this it?

Attachments

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Bingo, that's it.

Quick note on this.... It is very easy to use this opening to fill the transmission. I did it that way one time and was surprised to see how full the transmission appears to be when you view it from the top that way. Be sure to have the fill plug out to control the level. I just put a plastic cup under the fill plug to catch the small amount of extra that ran out.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I'm not sure if that location is easier to fill than just using a hand pump from the bottom. Maybe easier with the clam off?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'm not sure if that location is easier to fill than just using a hand pump from the bottom. Maybe easier with the clam off?
The normal fill location was easy to get to, especially if you are just feeding a tube into it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very easy. I do an annual pm where I change engine oil, tranny fluid, completely flush clutch and brake fluid, torque toe links and all suspension hardware.
Any "how To's" on flushing brake and clutch fluid? Toe links too. I want to keep this car functioning properly

·
Registered
7,240 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
I use a Gunso Ezibleed, brilliant.
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gunson-G4062-Eezibleed-Kit/dp/B001KTFIWA[/ame]

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I use an easy bleed from Sirlotus. Definitely use a power bleeder. Completely flush clutch fluid first, then rear Brakes, then fronts. Search for rear toe links and it will show a thread with all suspension torque values and locations.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts