The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess when you track a car a lot, weird things are going to happen:sheep:. I actually added SportInserts recently to help reduce the amount of slop in the drivetrain and engine movement. I will say, i have pulled my coil packs to look at spark plugs and diagnose my car for bad O2 sensors or MAF.

Well, this weekend at the track, I noticed a sputter when I got to the track Sunday. It's ironic how I drove ~85 miles with not hint of anything, but just tooling thru the pit area the car felt funny. Could tell the exhuast note sounded funny and could tell the engine was not smooth as I transitioned to higher RPMs. No CEL...

I had just gotten gas, only 1/4 tank from RaceTrack, which isn't the best, but enough people fill up at this one. So I put some 109 octane in to see if I did get bad gas. Seemed to have gotten worse, still no CEL. If I went over 4k RPM, the car would sputter almost consistently. I took the coil pack cover off and noticed that three of my coil pack had loose bolts (the 3 to the left when looking fwd from back of car). So I borrowed a 10 mm socket and tightened them down. Disconnected battery, waited, started car for a quick spin. Car sounded like a loopy 350 V8 and now I had a CEL. Took car to race shop to borrow OBD2 reader, showed a ignition/coil pack code on #3. I initially thought since several of the coil packs were loose, might have fried a coil pack:(.

So I decided to unseat each coil pack to see if that helped, just something else to try. Well, check out the pic for what I found:shrug:. Had the local race shop de-pin the connector and fix me up, so I could get back on all 4 cylinders. Cleared the code a car was back to normal:clap:...

The coil pack second from the left has wires that are squished up against the padded cylindrical spacer for the coil pack cover. You can see that coil pack on far right does the same thing. I guess I could blame myself for allowing my coil packs to get loose, but the wires do chaff against the spacer or could get crushed a wire when you putt he cover on. And I only have over 300 track session on the car, WTF:rolleyes::D... The instructor from England at LOG 26 did say I would destroy my car:wave:...

Regardless, make sure your coil pack bolts don't get loose (something to add to my check list), look at the coil pack wire harness, and be careful when screwing back on the cover to not squish any wires:thwack:.

Well, sorry for the long story, just wanted to capture how it all transpired. I will say on Saturday, I proceeded to thrash my car hard than I have in a long time, man that was nice:coolnana:.

See you at the track:shift::evil:...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
FYI: You are missing one padded spacer on the left of the picture. There are supposed to be two.

I am not an engineer, but having coil packs under a not quite watertight plastic cover and a semi-open engine compartment seems odd, but if it works, Lotus must know what they are doing. :confused:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI: You are missing one padded spacer on the left of the picture. There are supposed to be two.

I am not an engineer, but having coil packs under a not quite watertight plastic cover and a semi-open engine compartment seems odd, but if it works, Lotus must know what they are doing. :confused:
Good eye, I removed the LHS spacer to get the connector off. It was sitting in the boot when I took the pic. The coil packs do have sealing that should be adequate, unless you are totally under water. Never had any environmental issues with the spark plugs are coil packs from what I can tell. My car is not the oldest, but she has taken her beatings well...

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Uncle Sam,
I am not as worried about the spacer as the other track item that is missing under his hood. Somebody stole his supercharger, and replaced it with a stock intake!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uncle Sam,
Somebody stole his supercharger, and replaced it with a stock intake!
Sounds heavy:rolleyes:...

Now turbo, might need to get specs on Verges' setup, I know that is track tested:drool:... If I need more power, I'll drive my student's cars. 600+hp NA Vette, who cares if it turns well:evil:...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey u we're an instructor at drivers edge at msr this weeken when it happened right?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey u we're an instructor at drivers edge at msr this weeken when it happened right?

Yep:cool:, I'm glad AJ at PST had the tools/skillz to fix her up. Just wish I found it earlier:wallbang:...

Hope you enjoyed the track, it's an awesome track for Loti to shine on:evil:...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yea I had an absolute blast. And it was sweet to see how many Loti were there, most in one spot I've seen anywhere down here. Can't wait to do it again.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I had the same issue

I guess when you track a car a lot, weird things are going to happen:sheep:. I actually added SportInserts recently to help reduce the amount of slop in the drivetrain and engine movement. I will say, i have pulled my coil packs to look at spark plugs and diagnose my car for bad O2 sensors or MAF.

Well, this weekend at the track, I noticed a sputter when I got to the track Sunday. It's ironic how I drove ~85 miles with not hint of anything, but just tooling thru the pit area the car felt funny. Could tell the exhuast note sounded funny and could tell the engine was not smooth as I transitioned to higher RPMs. No CEL...

I had just gotten gas, only 1/4 tank from RaceTrack, which isn't the best, but enough people fill up at this one. So I put some 109 octane in to see if I did get bad gas. Seemed to have gotten worse, still no CEL. If I went over 4k RPM, the car would sputter almost consistently. I took the coil pack cover off and noticed that three of my coil pack had loose bolts (the 3 to the left when looking fwd from back of car). So I borrowed a 10 mm socket and tightened them down. Disconnected battery, waited, started car for a quick spin. Car sounded like a loopy 350 V8 and now I had a CEL. Took car to race shop to borrow OBD2 reader, showed a ignition/coil pack code on #3. I initially thought since several of the coil packs were loose, might have fried a coil pack:(.

So I decided to unseat each coil pack to see if that helped, just something else to try. Well, check out the pic for what I found:shrug:. Had the local race shop de-pin the connector and fix me up, so I could get back on all 4 cylinders. Cleared the code a car was back to normal:clap:...

The coil pack second from the left has wires that are squished up against the padded cylindrical spacer for the coil pack cover. You can see that coil pack on far right does the same thing. I guess I could blame myself for allowing my coil packs to get loose, but the wires do chaff against the spacer or could get crushed a wire when you putt he cover on. And I only have over 300 track session on the car, WTF:rolleyes::D... The instructor from England at LOG 26 did say I would destroy my car:wave:...

Regardless, make sure your coil pack bolts don't get loose (something to add to my check list), look at the coil pack wire harness, and be careful when screwing back on the cover to not squish any wires:thwack:.

Well, sorry for the long story, just wanted to capture how it all transpired. I will say on Saturday, I proceeded to thrash my car hard than I have in a long time, man that was nice:coolnana:.

See you at the track:shift::evil:...
The wiring is made in china! So I removed it and had it redone with proper wire ie stuff that is not crap! It was not cheap but IMho well worth it!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I had an absolute blast. And it was sweet to see how many Loti were there, most in one spot I've seen anywhere down here. Can't wait to do it again.
I remember back in the late '05 to '07 when there would be close to 10 or more Loti at every TDE event:clap:. Ah, those were good times. Actually RichS, Michael, and myself, are Loti instructor/drivers that spawned from then.

Funny how we all still haven't found any other track car we are willing to take over our Loti. My car is over 7 yrs old, crazy how well she held up:bow:. With confidence and calculated aggression, these cars are just phenomenal performers that truly reward excellent driving:evil:.

Wish I took more time to meet all the Loti guys, Hope you were able to catch a ride with either on of those Loti instructors, we all have our style of controlled chaos:panic:.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Where can I buy the coil pack connectors themselves? I scoured the
internet, but came up with nothing short of a whole new harness.
I had this same problem only it was on cylinder #4. The wires chaffed on
the insulator after the coil pack bolt had come loose and severed.
I tried re-wiring it myself but it did not work apparently as I am still getting
misfire codes. P1301 and P0301

May this condition destroy a coil pack if not corrected soon?

-Robert

·
Registered
71 Posts

Lotus put the coils directly below the coolant overflow tank in the M100 Elan. Catastrophic tank failures are becoming common now (old, brittle, hot, pressurized plastic rips a hole) and the coils get soaked in coolant.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I'd add to maintenance issues making sure the cam cover gasket is good so no oil gets in the spark plug holes and I also squirt a little bit of electrical contact cleaner in each hole and then use compressed air to get out any moisture and debris. Need to be careful with the wires due to the tight confines and chafing as Frankie notied.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
For the FWIW column, I had a coil wire chafe until the insulation wore off. I discovered this on track at Spring Mountain.

I got on the power a touch too early coming out of 2 & had to let off to get the back end around for the exit. In doing so, I dropped [just] the rear wheel off the track right before the exit rumble strip. It seemed fairly benign, but the bump on to the rumble strip was enough to touch the wire to metal which burnt a fuse & killed the motor.

Fixed the fuse, went back out, all seemed well. Did 2 more sessions, drove to Vegas, stayed the night, started driving home & about 2 hours into the drive, the motor died again. Same issue. This time, we took the cover off to find the bad wire.

All this is to say: I agree with kverges - check your coil wires every so often.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
remainder of pics

I stagger cut the wires so that I didn't have to worry about the colors when assembling.(the new connector has 4 black wires) I jus matched the stagger on the new connector. Remember to put the shrink tubing on first, then tin the wires, then tack them together and slide the tuning over the repair. Heat the tubing until it is tight around the wires and wrap with tape. NOTE: the new connector wire is heavier gauge than the original Toyota harness wire. Hopefully this will prolong the life and prevent any future breakage. It's an easy fix if you have the connector. I bought 3 extra since they were cheap.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts