The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I pulled off my diffuser panel after one of the clamps on my Larini F1 tips came loose again during a track day last Saturday.
When I cleaned the panel I noticed an area where the aluminum had some small indents in the surface.

difuser.jpg

First thought was battery acid, but I checked the battery and it was dry :shrug:

I took a closer look at what is in the area of the indents, and it is the clamp where the muffler connects to the cat pipe.
I found that clamp a little loose, and so I assume that I had a small exhaust leak which started to melt my diffuser in this area...:eek:

CIMG3152.jpg

So while you have the diffuser off it might be a good idea to check your exhaust clamps and make sure they are tight...

And to the clamps for the tips:
I had enough now with them coming loose :wallbang:.
I'll pull the exhaust off and have the tips welded on...

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I found that clamp a little loose, and so I assume that I had a small exhaust leak which started to melt my diffuser in this area...:eek:
Highly unlikely - it's much more likely that something came loose and rubbed on the diffuser panel.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I think you'll find this is caused by your heat shield, not clamps. This happened to several cars a while back, including mine. Do you by chance have a Quicksilver exhaust?

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you'll find this is caused by your heat shield, not clamps. This happened to several cars a while back, including mine. Do you by chance have a Quicksilver exhaust?
No, it's a Larini.
And the marks don't look like rubbing marks at all.
More like if someone took a torch to it...:shrug:

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
I had a slight exhaust leak there with my stock muffler after Lotus removed it (they forgot to tighten the clamp). After about 1000 miles all that I found on mine was a ton of black soot. It came off with some cleaning and aluminum polish. :shrug:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yep mines losse, I can hear it in the morning be4 it warms up,,,
just been too lazy to get in there to tighten it up.....:wallbang:

I hate the 6mm bolts.... :thwack:

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I took another look under the car and checked the heat shield.
The shield does look like it was rubbing...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice :clap:
Just from looking at the marks I would have never guessed that they
were caused by the heat shield.
There must be a lot of relative movement going on between the two parts...

I'll make sure to bend the shield up a bit when I put things back together.

·
shay2nak
24,991 Posts
maybe that's the buzzing I heard a couple times today...I started the car and heard an odd rattle that went away after the engine fully turned over and a couple times during idle...:shrug:

·
Registered
658 Posts
FYI the clamp is an expansion fitting, it will seal up when it is hot.
You may also notice condensation coming out of the clamp area until the fitting is hot.
If you over tighten it you might break it.
You want it tight enough to just hold the pipe from moving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts