The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this week, I made a simple tubular type intake that looks similar to the Fujita and Turo SX units, but short of the MAF provision... so it's a 3" OD tube with a bracket, big deal, right;)

I purchased a K&N cone filter to bolt on to the end of the tube and be done with it. Quick inspection of the filter looked fine as have the litterally dozens of K&N filters I've bought in the past...

Well joy riding in the car last night, I was on the go pedel and went to lift, but the car continued to charge forward in 3rd gear- all 230+whp in full force without my control-eek- I was aware enough 'not' to push in the clutch and just went straight for the key. I could tell there was a mechanical blockage.

Popped the boot lid. Linkage looks good. Something inside the TB? Using a penny (In a better economy, a quarter would have been tool of choice, but times are tough;)), I unscrewed the worm drive clamp and found a thick circular piece of rubber from the K&N lodged in the throttle plate:eek: Fortunately it didn't get ingested, as that would mean another new head:rolleyes:

Moral of the story is never take your fancy new filters for granted and always check them for bits of rubber flashing that could come loose and end up in your engine... Will probably never happen again, but it may also save someone a motor one day:up:

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
815 Posts
yikes! was it part of the rubber that connects the filter to the tube, or just a random piece of rubber was inside the filter? i'm confused.

Glad no real damage was done though!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Some have rubber inserts so they fit over different sized piping, guessing thats what it was?

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually no- It appares to be some loose rubber flashing of sorts that was in the filter from te manufacturing process. It completed a ring, but not uniformally... No where near big enough to be a reducer ring of any kind. It pinched itself just right to stick the throttle plate. Hard to explain and in my haste, I lost it (possibly threw it:evil:) in the ditch when I was fiddling with it on the side of the road:rolleyes:. Otherwise I'd take a pic of it... In any event, just check your cone filters. Never know what floating around in there:shrug:

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Well, lucky you were where you were and not on a long straight coming up on a 90degree turn :panic:

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya no kidding... :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts