The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was always impressed with the amount of power in my V8 Esprit, but found out today (with an ODBII scanner) that the throttle cable was only sending 82% with the gas pedal fully depressed.

82%! That's a huge difference! I easily bent it back by hand to get the full 100% throttle when floored.

I can only imagine how many other Esprits have this issue right now. Considering how easy it is to check and fix (at least temporarily), I think everyone should check this.

Now I know there are other threads that talk about this issue (how the throttle pedal bracket bends over time), but I haven't seen any how-to or details on how to fix it so that it never bends again. How do you make this permanent?

Any ideas? I don't have access to a welder, so I am thinking something along the lines of screws or an added bracket of some kind. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11,302 Posts
no idea what this looks like, but will advise you to ensure the throttle in not being stopped by the cable, else it will break.

In my Elan, I always carried a spare, but frankly could've turned up the idle speed to easily get home.

·
Registered
576 Posts
On the 4cyl can adjust the pedal stop and also teach the ECM what 100% throttle is via TPS by flooring pedal after hard reset. Not sure if V8 is similar

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the 4cyl can adjust the pedal stop and also teach the ECM what 100% throttle is via TPS by flooring pedal after hard reset. Not sure if V8 is similar
A good thought, but I think that even if the ECU is taught that a certain position is 100%, the actual butterfly valve in the engine bay will not be opened up all the way to let the maximum amount of fuel by. So the ECU will be happy, but you'd still be sacrificing some power. Not sure though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
HA 82%! when I last checked mine it was only going to 48%
Such an easy fix but yes it will bend back over time unless you add
one of the makeshift brackets people have put together around here.

·
Registered
224 Posts
oh yeah... the car was insane. pulled so hard.
was quite a change. any concern or disappointment about performance is all gone now.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Bump for a great post!

My car was loosing power weekly due to the bending of the gas pedal. Just had this fix put on by TJ at Lamborghini Chicago (tried doing it myself put couldn't figure out how to get the hole in the pedal). Very happy this won't be an issue anymore.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, this is such a common issue it should be a sticky!

I can only imagine how many Esprits are out there getting substandard performance because of such a silly problem. Fortunately the fix is easy.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'd call it a simple fix... Wasn't easy. I had to have a shop do it for me.

How did you get the hole through the metal plate? I tied but could barely get my drill behind the pedals.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
525 Posts
I looked at the photos and information that gmendoza provided and I do not understand what the hook and threaded rod fit to on the gas pedal. Has anyone else documented this procedure a little closer with better pics or diagrams?

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I looked at the photos and information that gmendoza provided and I do not understand what the hook and threaded rod fit to on the gas pedal. Has anyone else documented this procedure a little closer with better pics or diagrams?
It just hooks onto the shaft of the pedal and keeps tension on the tab that has the throttle cable attached. It makes a triangle.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The pictures were a bit confusing. If you go and actually look at your pedal it should make sense.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
215 Posts
True, "simple" might be a better term. You can get an angled drill head that makes life easier in that kind of scenario.

I got mine at Home Depot, but Amazon has them too: Amazon.com: Rockwell RW9273 Right Angle 1/4-inch Drill Drive Accessory: Home Improvement
I knew I should have asked here... I really wanted to do this on my own but gave up on drilling the pedal.

StevenD57,

I did up some sketches to try and explain the issue...

Correct...

After time the tab bends and the cord loosens...

With the fix in place...

Hope this doesn't make things more confusing,

DL

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yes, that made a lot of sense. Particularly since both of my Esprits are several states away right now so looking at the pedal right now would be tough. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts