The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,
In my ongoing efforts to make sure I know how everything out there feels before my purchase, I tested out a chevy camaro LS (manual). Granted, I am still getting used to manual tranny cars, but WOW was i disappointed.
Didnt throw you back like the mustang GT did. Didn't feel the smoothness of the crossfire. Didnt have the handling of the MR2. Really did not feel like it shifted smoothly (maybe its just not beginner friendly). and truthfully, I felt like my honda accord 4cyl could take it. The driving experience was bland to put it mildly, and at 60 it could still lift, but nothing awe-inspiring or even enough to raise an eyebrow.
It looks mean as hell and seemed to attract some attention, but that's really all it had!!!

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Isnt that the 6 cyl 323 hp engined one?
If youre comparing it to the mustang gt then try the 8 cyl or better yet try the zl1.
That said it seems most folks who are into MR2s and stuff like that dont particularly care for cars like this.

Though I havent driven one, or any of the camaro models in fact, the clutch probably is less forgiving.

I just read a comparo between the zl1 and the gt500 in one of the auto mags, not sure if you are looking to spend that kind of coin though.
You might like the boss 302 but i tend to doubt it. I dont know.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, i understood that it was a v6, but I just felt that if you are going to throw the "sports car" tag and price on something, it should have something that sets it apart from my honda accord (apart from the looks)

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yea he v6 camaro is not much of a performance car so it doesn't surprise me one bit. You need to at least drive the v8 or if you want more performance then a zl1.

And even so you may think your 4 cylinder accord accelerates like the v6 camaro but it doesn't. Truth be told in a straight line the v6 camaro isnt much slower than an NA Elise.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Working cones in turn 1 at my second autocross last week.... The biggest thing that struck me was that I could have pushed our living room couch around that corner faster than any of the Cameros! Even a ZL1! I understand it is not intended for that kind of driving.... but wow, they just looked really heavy. I do love the way they look though. I have even tried to talk my wife into getting a convertable version and ditch her SUV.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I had a 2012 SS auto (400 hp v8) as a rental car last month. The car was awful. Handled like a canal barge. Seriously, handling was more SUV than car like. Actually my moms Mazda CX-9 handles better. In a straight line felt slower than the Elise. Flappy paddles were useless. Too many gears for an auto. Took over a second for the trans to downshift and find the right gear when you stepped on it. Nice torque from 2000-4000 rpms but the engine went real flat after that. People complain about the no torque high RPM motors like both my cars have, but I think they are flat out more fun.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Yea he v6 camaro is not much of a performance car so it doesn't surprise me one bit. You need to at least drive the v8 or if you want more performance then a zl1.

And even so you may think your 4 cylinder accord accelerates like the v6 camaro but it doesn't. Truth be told in a straight line the v6 camaro isnt much slower than an NA Elise.
true, it just has a flatter torque curve so it may not give the rush at a certain rpm.
The camaros feel heavy because they are. Get used to it. With all the Federal regs most cars are getting heavier until you jump in price where more exotic materials are used.
Remember, these are street cars meant to be driven every day.

I do give Chevy props for making a +300hp engine that gets around 30 mpg in a somewhat heavy car.
That would be a heck of an engine in a little car. If honda had a 320hp engine getting 30 mpg a lot folks on this board would be creaming their pants. Or any other Japanese maker for that matter.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
You should get a yellow camero with black stripes. You could then add some Transformers stuff and go to car shows. We need that - surprised no one has ever thought of it! :)

Regardless of how they perform, I just don't like them at all.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
You should get a yellow camero with black stripes. You could then add some Transformers stuff and go to car shows. We need that - surprised no one has ever thought of it! :)

Granted, the misinformed wont mistake it it for a 150k dollar car.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Granted, the misinformed wont mistake it it for a 150k dollar car.
I just think they look big and beastly. All of the 'new muscle' - Challenger, Camaro, Mustang - all just look big and overweight (hey, they are American) and they have those little small shallow windows.

Just not a fan.

·
Registered
736 Posts
V6 mustang and Camaro is for a different market. You need to look at the following. Personally the ZL1 Camaro would be my choice

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...4zqdY1Hg6-9J3j6Tw&sig2=yhfVxSNg-8jQROtyvRlYxw
A rather unfair comparison though. The ZL1 beats the numbers of the L.S. Stang in every way. SCd vs NA engine, 1.2L displacement difference, 136hp difference and 176 torque difference. Where the L.S. Stang wins is in weight and price. Wrong models to compare. Two different beasts.
The numbers of the '13 GT500 are nicer. The comparo between that and the ZL1 would be a closer battle in every way.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
And besides, Wooderson liked Camaros.

Alright alright.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

I agree - what started as an interesting "retro-styling" idea has turned into an overexposed, overly-abundant car that never looked right to begin with. The roof is chopped and all wrong. The car just doesnt work. Besides, if I wanted a car that looks like a '69 Camaro - Id buy a '69 Camaro.

Just too many of them around to give a chit, so is the curse of all GM vehicles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts