The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (2008) with pictures and wallpapers

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
Chevrolet officially announced the 2009 Corvette ZR1 - an American supercar that brings the technology and engineering refinement of carbon-fiber, ceramics and electronics together in a distinctive design.

"Chevrolet's goal with the new ZR1 is to show what an American supercar can deliver, at a price that trumps exotics that cost two, three or four times as much - and does so with exceptional driveability," said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager.

The ZR1's basic stats:

All-new LS9 supercharged 6.2L V-8 targeted at producing at least 100 horsepower per liter, or 620 horsepower (462 kW), and approximately 595 lb.-ft. of torque (823 Nm)
Six-speed, close-ratio, race-hardened manual transmission
New, high-capacity dual-disc clutch
Higher-capacity and specific-diameter axle half-shafts; enhanced torque tube
Specific suspension tuning provides more than 1g cornering grip
Twenty-spoke 19-inch front and 20-inch rear wheels
Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires - P285/30ZR19 in front and P335/25ZR20 in the rear - developed specifically for the ZR1
Standard carbon-ceramic, drilled disc brake rotors - 15.5-inch-diameter (394-mm) in the front and 15-inch-diameter (380-mm) in the rear
Larger brake calipers with substantially increased pad area
Standard Magnetic Selective Ride Control with track-level suspension
Wider, carbon-fiber front fenders with ZR1-specific dual vents
Carbon-fiber hood with a raised, polycarbonate window - offering a view of the intercooler below it
Carbon-fiber roof panel, roof bow, front fascia splitter and rocker moldings with clear-coated, exposed carbon-fiber weave
ZR1-specific full-width rear spoiler with raised outboard sections
Specific gauge cluster with boost gauge (also displayed on the head-up display) and 220-mph (370 km/h) speedometer readout
Only two options: chrome wheels and a "luxury" package
Curb weight of approximately 3,350 pounds (1,519 kg)
The specialized components of the new ZR1 work harmoniously to deliver the most powerful and fastest automobile ever produced by General Motors. Performance estimates will be announced closer to vehicle's summer 2008 launch.

"Preliminary testing shows the ZR1 builds on the highly respected Corvette Z06 in every performance category, from acceleration and braking, to cornering grip and top speed," said Peper. "It all boils down to the power-to-weight ratio and the ZR1's is exceptional - better than the Porsche 911 GT2, the Ferrari 599 and even the Lamborghini LP640. In fact, the ZR1 is expected to be the first production Corvette to achieve a top speed of at least 200 mph."

By the numbers

In addition to the exterior cues and powertrain, ZR1 models will be distinguished from other Corvette models by their VIN. Each will carry a unique, identifying VIN digit, as well as a sequential build number. This makes it easy to determine the build number of a specific car - information treasured by enthusiasts and collectors. For example, a ZR1 with a VIN ending in "0150" would indicate it is the 150 th ZR1 built for the model year.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I am beginning to think you're an adbot, Mr. andykhol23.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
The ZR-1 may be last of the great powerful American sports cars if regulations force cars to get smaller with better gas mileage.

This Vette is amazing - tons of power.

Nice car!

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
The ZR-1 may be last of the great powerful American sports cars if regulations force cars to get smaller with better gas mileage.

This Vette is amazing - tons of power.

Nice car!
hard to say.
look at the zo6. only production car ever to have over 500hp and not be subject to a gas guzzler tax.
i would see 28mpg at 80mph in 6th gear on the highway. pretty amazing all things considered.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
...and its not a 500hp v8.

but yeah, i think that the manufacturers will find ways to make all engines more efficient, and the bigger v8s will be used in niche cars, like a zo6, a viper, etc....
however, how do we explain the new challenger, the new camaro with 435hp, the 2010 mustang getting a 6.2 with over 400hp, etc???? all relatively affordable cars.

im interested to see what chevy gets as far as mpg with the new zr1. not that i think mpg matters to folks who buy this car, but it says something about the engineering that went into the engine development.

·
Registered
96 Posts

but yeah, i think that the manufacturers will find ways to make all engines more efficient, and the bigger v8s will be used in niche cars, like a zo6, a viper, etc....
however, how do we explain the new challenger, the new camaro with 435hp, the 2010 mustang getting a 6.2 with over 400hp, etc???? all relatively affordable cars.

im interested to see what chevy gets as far as mpg with the new zr1. not that i think mpg matters to folks who buy this car, but it says something about the engineering that went into the engine development.
Agreed,

( I drove my buddies C6, tons of powers, but it just didn't feel right... i felt like i didn't have much control but again it wasn't my car, so that might be it.

unlike driving a NSX where I felt like I had complete control (felt) lol

fallowed by test driving a 06 Elise, and here I am now, instead of a C6 forum =)

·
Registered
11,221 Posts

The Turbo is almost 500HP and still gets 24 MPG hwy. Not shabby. It's also a pig compared to a Z06, which brings me to my next point...

Manufacturers of sports cars will work to make them lighter to achieve lower MPG. :) Ferrari has already admitted to working on this in the future as well as utilizing high-revving turbochargers to improve fuel economy. We'll see a lot more turbocharging in the future.

Aerodynamics may also play a key role, though Chevy and Porsche have already nailed that down. But you know the new Mustang will have much improved aerodynamics to keep its fuel economy up. Can't get much more boxy and brick-like from here :p

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I am beginning to think you're an adbot, Mr. andykhol23.
Dito. But how would an adbot know how to post in the "Other Cars" forum?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
BAN HIM!!!!!

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Agreed,

( I drove my buddies C6, tons of powers, but it just didn't feel right... i felt like i didn't have much control but again it wasn't my car, so that might be it.

unlike driving a NSX where I felt like I had complete control (felt) lol

fallowed by test driving a 06 Elise, and here I am now, instead of a C6 forum =)
ok, but im not sure what that has to do with the last of the big hp cars and mpg....

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
The Turbo is almost 500HP and still gets 24 MPG hwy. Not shabby. It's also a pig compared to a Z06, which brings me to my next point...

Manufacturers of sports cars will work to make them lighter to achieve lower MPG. :) Ferrari has already admitted to working on this in the future as well as utilizing high-revving turbochargers to improve fuel economy. We'll see a lot more turbocharging in the future.

Aerodynamics may also play a key role, though Chevy and Porsche have already nailed that down. But you know the new Mustang will have much improved aerodynamics to keep its fuel economy up. Can't get much more boxy and brick-like from here :p
i dont mean to nit pick (well this IS elisetalk) but, the 911 may be ALMOST 500 hp, but it isnt. the zo6 is still the worlds only production car with over 500hp and NO gas guzzler tax. thats a pretty impressive distinction coming from a small block 427cu or a 7.2ltr, however you wanna look at it.

thats wonderful that ferrari is developing new technologies to improve power and efficiency. when they build it ill go under my mattress and grab abt 300k and buy one..:)
that tech wont trickle down for awhile....
yes, u can turbocharge and make more power but at some point you will be burning abt as much fuel as a bigger N/A motor because of the injectors and supporting fuel reqs to gain that power.

as far as aero goes, aero drag really doesnt cost you much as far as MPG until u hit abt 80 or 90mph and above. and we all know from previous threads that a lot of elisetalkers dont drive that fast on public roads anyway.
(probably dont drive that fast anywhere else for that matter..:) )
measured aero drag and what it actually costs you in mpg are 2 different things.

btw, where i bolded your quote i believe u meant "higher."

overall i think it will be interesting to see where performance cars go from here. its no secret that light makes right, but in production cars they have to comply with so many governmental tests....to comply with safety standards means either adding weight or adding a lot of cost.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
BAN HIM!!!!!

Thread starter or Evo?

:)

Thread starter was banned.

Evo... he sold the car. Still hangs around.
I sold the Elise. He is still around.
I sold the forum. He is still around.
I bought a Noble and joined nobleforums.
Evo joined nobleforums too. :panic:

Just kidding Mike

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I expect that MPG will go up with computer controlled cylinder idling. I would expect the Vette and other GM V8s to run on four cylinders on the highway.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Thread starter or Evo?

:)

Thread starter was banned.

Evo... he sold the car. Still hangs around.
I sold the Elise. He is still around.
I sold the forum. He is still around.
I bought a Noble and joined nobleforums.
Evo joined nobleforums too. :panic:

Just kidding Mike
Ban Tread Starter and marry EVO. rotfl

1 - 20 of 48 Posts