The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Chicago/Wisconsin Region - Alphabet Soup Spirited Drive - 5/10/14

10K views 128 replies 21 participants last post by  Rudygon 
#1 ·
Ok, worst winter evah and we are all depressed. Let's look forward to something.

Let's get the annual Alphabet Soup (New Glarus to the boonies and back) route on the calendar.

I'm thinking:

Sat 5/10 or Sat 5/17.

Yes, snow will be melted and roads ready to go. I demand it!

Chime in.

#6 ·
Just an FYI, if you do want to do an overnight trip the best date will be the 17th... UW-Madison's graduation is on the 10th so I doubt there will be much if any room availability and if there is it will be extra expensive.

With all that said, it looks like either date will end up working for me. ...I think!

#11 ·
Ok, let's go for 5/10. Screw that beeeyotch Mother Nature - it WILL be good wether for us and the roads WILL be good and dry and this cold and snow WILL be gone.

Of course, I type this as we expect another 6" of snow today!

So, 5/10 it is.

Other answers:

- No overnight. Too much to coordinate. I'm happy to if others want to, but might just be easier as the day trip.

- I'll do the route later, but the plan is always to meet up in New Glarus, WI (right around the corner from New Glarus Brewery and a real life actual reindeer farm). We then head through various places (Dodgeville, Spring Green, etc) and wrap up near Mt. Horeb, which allows us to get on the beltline near Madison - which allows us to easily get home.

- Guys - no joke this time, someone else WILL lead. I've lead every non-Todd drive for the last two years (maybe 6 or so?). Someone else's turn. I'll happily load you up with the route - you can play around with it on googlemaps, program it into your phone/garmin, etc. Someone sack up and volunteer!

Cut and past your name on the roster:

1. SwingLo
2. Me!
3. Driftwood
4. Malakaone

#16 ·
Depends on the car. :)

Nah, all good. Hotel would work. Have fun and stay downtown Madison. Leave the kids with the outlaws. Do the drive and then spend a night in Mad-town. Lotsa great restaurants and bars there (and live music). Hilton Monona on the water is a great hotel (get a room with lakeview). Has covered garage parking too.

#22 ·
We're a no-go, as well. That's bachelor/bachelorette party day!! But we are hoping to see you all a bit more this summer than we did last :) Hopefully our reward for enduring this evil winter will be an early, warm spring *fingers crossed*

#23 ·
Out. I have plans to be at Road America pointing a Mclaren by. Interestingly, I believe Lotus Corps is planning a Wisconsin drive the same day. Be sure to wave as you pass.

#25 · (Edited)
malakaone said:
Dang, was hoping for a ride in the MP4 this time.
I think it's officially now called the "12C" which is much better. The claim was that all modern McLarens are MP4s (Marlboro Project 4). In any case, I should be able to offer rides at one of the many summer drives coming up. On the last drive I tried launch control for the first time and it was nutty!

SwingLo said:
Yeah, your car can't keep up with us on the straights anyway! :)
Yeah... I'll lead next time? ;)

SwingLo said:
You see my other post? New Years weekend when we got a ton of snow and it was like minus 700 - saw a black MP4 totally covered in salt driving east on 94 near New Buffalo, MI. Dude was a brave man!
Didn't see that post but I know of an Autobahn member who has a black one that he more or less daily drives. It's really an outstanding car that handles roads extraordinarily well. It's more comfortable around town than my 3 series. Unfortunately I just can't bring myself to park it on the street, or else I'd drive it around a lot more.

KenRK said:
Out. I have plans to be at Road America pointing a Mclaren by.
I signed up for the advanced group this time around, hopefully I don't regret it!

#27 ·
I think it's officially now called the "12C" which is much better. The claim was that all modern McLarens are MP4s (Marlboro Project 4). In any case, I should be able to offer rides at one of the many summer drives coming up. On the last drive I tried launch control for the first time and it was nutty!

Yeah... I'll lead next time? ;)

Didn't see that post but I know of an Autobahn member who has a black one that he more or less daily drives. It's really an outstanding car that handles roads extraordinarily well. It's more comfortable around town than my 3 series. Unfortunately I just can't bring myself to park it on the street, or else I'd drive it around a lot more.

I signed up for the advanced group this time around, hopefully I don't regret it!
Yeah, I trust that the MP4 handles well, but what I don't trust is others. Hell, I was on 290 on Monday during the snow and every driver is a complete effin' moron in the snow. Would be so nervous about the handling of OTHER drivers in their cars, versus me in mine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.