The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A number of you have expressed interest in autocrossing this year. I had dinner last night with Steve Schmidt (one of the two guys who runs autox for Audi Club’s Chicago Chapter) and he’d love to see some Lotus enthusiasts come out to join the fun. There are 5 dates scheduled for 2012; the first and last will be at TireRack’s testing facility in South Bend, IN; 2 are at Maywood Park Racetrack and one is at Alexian Field in Schaumburg. This Saturday will be the first event and as mentioned at TireRack. Cars are classed into 5 VW/Audi group classes & 2 “X class” groups (one for Asian imports and a second for domestic & European imports). It offers a great chance to get to know your car better at reasonable speeds in a controlled environment.
More info is available at: ACCCC | Audi Car Club Chicagoland Chapter
(Don’t forget South Bend is 1 hour ahead of us)
Come on guys, time to stop talking and start doing!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How noob friendly is it? How much does it cost?
Very newb friendly, the club has what’s called the ambassador program for first timers where an experienced participant works with you that day to get you up to speed. More info on that, the cost and plenty of other details can be found by clicking the link in the post above. Hope you can make it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Here are all the schedules for all the area clubs that run autocross. I’ve gone out to the Salt Creek, Miata club, SCCA and TSSCC. I think I made it out 5 times last year. Pretty much the same deal for all the clubs. $30 to $40 a day (SCCA is about $50). They all run at the same handful of places in Chicago. So I tend to go whoever has an event on a day I have free. They are all pretty friendly to beginners, Id say at any given event there are at least 5 to 10 people out for their first time.

You get the most runs with the Miata club, 10-15 runs vs 6-8 runs for the others. But they run a lot tighter course, slower more 1-2 shifting. (so they make sure the Miatas beat any more powerful cars that show up)
SCCA and TSSCC tends to be a bit more serious than the other clubs.
I avoid going to Maywood events, the lot is pretty torn up and there are quite a few light poles in the lot.

Salt creek - http://www.scscc.net/index.php/events/2012-schedule

Miata Club - http://www.windycitymiataclub.com/

Tri - State - http://www.tsscc.org/

SCCA - http://scca-chicago.com/chicago-scca-solo/

VW club - http://www.chicagovw.org/events.html

There are also porsche and BMW clubs that autocross but they dont like outsiders.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I might actually sign up for this. I've never done any racing of any kind. Would it be acceptable to trailer my Elise there? ...I don't really want to drive it two hours there, then race, then drive it two hours back. I'd rather just throw it on the trailer and drive my truck there.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I might actually sign up for this. I've never done any racing of any kind. Would it be acceptable to trailer my Elise there? ...I don't really want to drive it two hours there, then race, then drive it two hours back. I'd rather just throw it on the trailer and drive my truck there.
There are always serveral people who trailer their cars either because they are on slicks, the car isnt street legal, or they dont want to be stranded if something breaks.

Also, the VW club is running in Schaumburg on Sunday and the SCCA is in Joliet on Sunday as well, if either of those are closer. See my links above.

·
He's on fire!
3,086 Posts
There are also porsche and BMW clubs that autocross but they dont like outsiders.
I haven't been to events by these organizations but I'm curious how you came to this conclusion.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
There are always serveral people who trailer their cars either because they are on slicks, the car isnt street legal, or they dont want to be stranded if something breaks.

Also, the VW club is running in Schaumburg on Sunday and the SCCA is in Joliet on Sunday as well, if either of those are closer. See my links above.
For the VW event on sunday, do you have to pre-register online or can you just show up and register? Do they offer that whole ambassador thing?... Cuz I've never autox'd before and I'd be so lost without some help from someone more experienced.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Pooter - I have never been to anything with the VW club. But in general all of these autocross clubs are pretty friendly to beginners. Even if they dont have something official like ken mentioned, there are always plenty of experienced drivers that are be happy to help. Just mention at registration that you are a novice and ask who to talk to.

I haven't been to events by these organizations but I'm curious how you came to this conclusion.
Unless they have changed their policy in the last year or two, with both of those you need to be a member or the guest of a member to be in one of their events. And I think for the Porsche crew, even if you are a guest, only Porsches are allowed. The others let anyone run.

·
He's on fire!
3,086 Posts
oh ok. the way you worded it sounded like they were a bunch of d!cks. Rather, if you want to do porsche club events you need to own a porsche.... seems reasonable to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am planning on doing my first autocross event this sunday at the VW event. Let me know if any of you are planning to join the beginner team! I do not yet have an elise, and will be in my old daily driver but will keep an eye out for any Loti in the crowd.

-Josh

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Is there a place were I can find all the autox's that are going on in the chicago land area? I will be returning from deployment in July and have never done this and am very excited about the idea.

They did not have these were I used to live, so I'm really looking forward to be very active in this

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I am planning on doing my first autocross event this sunday at the VW event. Let me know if any of you are planning to join the beginner team! I do not yet have an elise, and will be in my old daily driver but will keep an eye out for any Loti in the crowd.

-Josh
I am planning on doing the Sunday event with the VW club in Schaumburg. Can I just show up and register?

·
He's on fire!
3,086 Posts
i think your questions would be better answered by the VW club, no?

At any event, there are a certain number of spots. If you show up on the day of the event and all those spots are taken, you won't be allowed to run. If you're planning to be there it would be best to contact the organization running the event before showing up. If you're new, it might be useful for those organizing the event to know that ahead of time so they at least have the opportunity to offer you some guidance and insure you have a good experience.

As Ken said... "less talk more do."

·
Registered
579 Posts
Is there a place were I can find all the autox's that are going on in the chicago land area? I will be returning from deployment in July and have never done this and am very excited about the idea.

They did not have these were I used to live, so I'm really looking forward to be very active in this
Check my post about halfway up the page. I posted links to all the schedules. There is pretty much something going on almost every weekend though August.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Ok guys, I emailed the guy in charge of the VW event. There is no pre-registration. Just show up and sign in. I'll be there. Let me know if you are going. I'll be trailering my Elise there.

·
He's on fire!
3,086 Posts
Ok guys, I emailed the guy in charge of the VW event. There is no pre-registration. Just show up and sign in. I'll be there. Let me know if you are going. I'll be trailering my Elise there.
This is a good sign... if its a small enough group that they aren't worried about pre-reg then hopefully theres a small number of cars and you'll get a ton of runs in :clap:

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Guys - I can't make this Sunday (get off a plane from vacation and turn right back around to go out of town for work - uggh), but anyone doing any of the other dates?

This will be my first time and I'd prefer to go with someone else in the same boat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts