The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My partner and I sold our Elise before we had a child, but I really do want to get another. The question is - can anyone think of a way to mod the car to include a child seat? Our child will be 2 years old in September, and any solution that will last for a couple of years would be fantastic.
For example, is it at all viable to weld something between the driver and passenger seat?
Open to anything you can think of, and thanks in advance...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooops! I wasn't entirely clear. I wondered if there was any possibility of a more radical mod which would allow two adults + a mini seat for a child...

·
Registered
135 Posts
You might want to check the laws of your state concerning this as some have restrictions on front seat passengers based on age, height, weight, etc.

Your insurance carrier might also have something to say if you are trying to fit two adults plus a child into a vehicle that their actuary likely based your policy/risk on the fact that the Elise is a two person vehicle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I cannot fathom how any mod would allow for 2 in the passenger side and how on earth it would be safe for the child.:eek:

The manual is pretty clear on the car NOT being small child safe.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Ooops! I wasn't entirely clear. I wondered if there was any possibility of a more radical mod which would allow two adults + a mini seat for a child...
I'm not sure how tiny you two are, but I typically sit shoulder to shoulder with my passengers. A mini seat would almost have to be in front of the passenger. An air bag would sure make a mess of that AND probably both passengers. I would consider an air bag switch mandatory.

I'm not a big stickler for government rules. Margo is legally not old enough or big enough for a booster seat, but what you are talking about is way beyond anything I would consider!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm not sure how tiny you two are, but I typically sit shoulder to shoulder with my passengers. A mini seat would almost have to be in front of the passenger. An air bag would sure make a mess of that AND probably both passengers. I would consider an air bag switch mandatory.

I'm not a big stickler for government rules. Margo is legally not old enough or big enough for a booster seat, but what you are talking about is way beyond anything I would consider!
Is it really worth the risk to her? Geez.:(

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You can in fact legally and safely get a 2yr old into a harnessed car seat that will fit in the lotus bucket seats. Your question really is; can you fit an adult in the car as well. The only realistic answer is no. Wait for the eagle (2+2 seater v6 lotus).

·
Registered
727 Posts
Is it really worth the risk to her? Geez.:(

Who knows? Is driving to anywhere that is not absolutely necessary worth the risk? Is driving an Elise worth the risk? Is driving an Elise more risky than driving a Hummer?

I am 64 years old and have been driving for 48 years. I have never had an accident that would set off the air bag. I have never been T-boned. Could it happen tomorrow? Sure! Is it worth the risk? It is to me!

Is it worth the risk to Margo? If your read the thread that I linked earlier, you will see that I have considered the risk extensively. Until three years ago when I got my Elise, I drove a '64 Lotus Elan. The Elan would be much less safe in an accident and probably less capable of avoiding an accident. Yet I carried my son in the Elan in a booster seat when he was growing up and we both loved it. He survived! Actually, he was probably safer there than in his Mom's SUV (she has had a lot more accidents than I have). So far most of Margo's trips have been about a half mile on residential streets to her day care, but she really likes to ride in "Daddy's car."

I would never try to convince you to carry your child in an Elise. If you are not comfortable with it, don't do it! On the other hand, I am an engineer, and feel like I can take a realistic look at the risk. I don't think that government bureaucrats can assess risks to me and my family as well as I can. I am happy to look at their input, but I will make the final decision.

That said, I will also admit to being less risk adverse than average. I have skydived, raced sports cars, white water rafted, and repelled down rock cliffs. My wife had my baby when I was 60. I am not worried about what terrorists will do to me. I do try to assess the risks and minimize them, but I enjoy life and hope to instill that in Margo.

In answer to your question "Is it really worth the risk to her?", to me it is! Absolutely!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why?

I love the elise - it's a sports car that's also just about as environmentally acceptable as a car can get. The irony is that I'd like my child to be in a car which doesn't contribute to ending the planet's future. SUV's are great for carrying kids safely, just not great for ensuring the kids will inherit a world fit to live in. Ironically, so far it's not looking good for carrying a kid in the elise...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
1- No way you can fit 3 in an Elise. You can barely fit two persons... rotfl

2- Buy a 2+2. Lotus has the Eagle coming this way. But lots of cars are fun to drive and 2+2. Look around. :thwack:

3- Stop it with the dying planet thing. :no:

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is one of the dumbest ideas I have heard this year...congrats on that...maybe you and your partner will make the Darwin Awards too. I would hope your child's safety would trump the stupidity of this idea. It's a shame you own a lotus...Hey, why not just let your kid ride on your lap. I see people doing that here in Indy while they're smoking cigarettes with the window up too..

Krug1

·
Registered
135 Posts
Lotus or SUV - fairly limited set of options.

I'm certain that there are much safer vehicles that are equally "environmentally friendly" (if that's your thing).

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hey MikeRoberts44, you absolutely hit the nail on the head. I have always taken my kids in my sports cars, but then I, too, am not risk averse. I have always believed in "risk management" not risk avoidance. And my kids have grown up to understand how a car works, how much fun they are to drive, and how to assess and manage risk in a car, on a bike, hiking in wild areas, jumping out of planes, and all sorts of other stuff.

So putting your your children in an Elise is a no-brainer for me. But I would never put 3 people in my Elise except to move the car up the drive. In even the most minor hard stop, someone may get crushed. And if the airbags go off, no child would be safe.

Just my $.02

Steve

·
Registered
727 Posts
I had three people in my Elise ... ONCE! I even had the top up. We were all full size adults with one drink too many. When it dawned on me what the air bag could do, that never happened again and never will. It was definitely cozy!

I would also not put a baby in the car with two adults! Surely there is a second car for that sort of thing. That said, I think there might be a reasonably safe (not legal) way to do it. First, the air bag would have to be off. Second, put the baby in a baby carrier that straps on to the front of the adult carrying the baby. I would have the baby facing the adult and make sure the head was supported. Then the adult would need to be buckled into the passenger seat. THIS IS IMPORTANT: The seat belt would need to be threaded between the baby carrier and the adult passenger to avoid putting the weight of the adult passenger on the baby in a frontal impact.

I still think a second car would make more sense. You could even trade off every day. There is a couple here that does that.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I know of a person who has a 2 seater convertible and him and his wife came to a gathering once and their chld (about 3 years old) was sitting in the passendger side floorwell with her knees around her chest and her head resting again the rear seat cushion between her mothers legs:thwack:

Another time he just had the child and she was sitting in the passenger seat without a carseat. I am surprised that a cop never pulled him over since the roof was down.

I once had 5 people in my MGB. Me driving, a friend in the passendger seat with her 10 year brother old in her lap, and her 7 year old sister and my 7 year old brother sitting on the rear ledge.

I got pulled over and they made my friend and two of the kids walk home 3 miles. Thought the girls mother would be mad, but her husband died a few years before that and he used to have an MG and she was glad that the kids were going for a ride in one again.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Who knows? Is driving to anywhere that is not absolutely necessary worth the risk? Is driving an Elise worth the risk? Is driving an Elise more risky than driving a Hummer?

I am 64 years old and have been driving for 48 years. I have never had an accident that would set off the air bag. I have never been T-boned. Could it happen tomorrow? Sure! Is it worth the risk? It is to me!

Is it worth the risk to Margo? If your read the thread that I linked earlier, you will see that I have considered the risk extensively. Until three years ago when I got my Elise, I drove a '64 Lotus Elan. The Elan would be much less safe in an accident and probably less capable of avoiding an accident. Yet I carried my son in the Elan in a booster seat when he was growing up and we both loved it. He survived! Actually, he was probably safer there than in his Mom's SUV (she has had a lot more accidents than I have). So far most of Margo's trips have been about a half mile on residential streets to her day care, but she really likes to ride in "Daddy's car."

I would never try to convince you to carry your child in an Elise. If you are not comfortable with it, don't do it! On the other hand, I am an engineer, and feel like I can take a realistic look at the risk. I don't think that government bureaucrats can assess risks to me and my family as well as I can. I am happy to look at their input, but I will make the final decision.

That said, I will also admit to being less risk adverse than average. I have skydived, raced sports cars, white water rafted, and repelled down rock cliffs. My wife had my baby when I was 60. I am not worried about what terrorists will do to me. I do try to assess the risks and minimize them, but I enjoy life and hope to instill that in Margo.

In answer to your question "Is it really worth the risk to her?", to me it is! Absolutely!
Very well put! Both my children (3 & 5) travel legally in the Elise with a booster seat (one at a time of course!). I do have the advantage of no airbag!

·
Registered
300 Posts
This thread is very timely! I'm in the process of fitting a bench seat from a 77' Buick Electra in my Elise as we speak! And the black vinyl perfectly matches the side panels!

Next up, gun rack in the back. Yeeeehaaaawwww!

Ben

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would say put your child in a car seat when it's just you two, and get a sitter for date night and winery trips with your partner. If all three of you go together, get something more safe and roomy and environmentally friendly like a Prius.

My $.02.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts