The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So during my engine swap project my Chimera was disconnected and sometimes on a tender, sometimes not.

We put it in the car and it started up a week or two ago. But suddenly, it stopped working. No idea what happened but it is NOT coming back.

And since Chimera is out of business and unable to repair the battery I'm left looking for an equivalent. I've narrowed it down to these three:

Antigravity Batteries the lightest most powerful and compact Lithium Batteries

LFX36L3-BS12 - Shorai Lithium Batteries

Batteries - Ballistic Performance Components

I'm actually kinda leaning toward the Ballistic EVO2 16 cell. I'm in Seattle so it rarely gets below freezing here (but it has a few times the past month or so). I'm just looking for something I won't have to keep on a tender all the time (shared garage, no outlet access).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure they'll try. But it depends on if they can get the cells/parts they need from whoever their original suppliers were. Outlook is grim. :(

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
They all eventually do that. It's not an Interstate. Your paying for weight reduction, not longevity.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ultrabatt Lithium Ultralite Batteries

Don't you want to be brave again and try one of these? Or shall we say a Battery of these?

They have build in circuitry to balance charge the battery which will extend its life considerably.

I am very very tempted to try them on the race car....

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
They all eventually do that. It's not an Interstate. Your paying for weight reduction, not longevity.
ive had my voltphreaks for.... like, ~6 years with no issues. and it sits for up to a month with never being touched. btw - i NEVER try to put a maintainer on it. i latterly never touch it - except to turn it on. it last about 2 weeks before shutting off.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ultrabatt Lithium Ultralite Batteries

Don't you want to be brave again and try one of these? Or shall we say a Battery of these?

They have build in circuitry to balance charge the battery which will extend its life considerably.

I am very very tempted to try them on the race car....
That is an interesting concept. Not much in the way of purchasing info on their site, though...

·
Registered
305 Posts
?ULTRA BATTERY
The SA website that sells them.

Ultrabatt lithium batteries
The New Zealand site that sells them.

Not sure who is the dealer in the States.

For me it is a toss up between these and the Ballistic batteries...

·
Registered
686 Posts
I bought a 16 cell ballistic and its offered me no problems. If I'm going to be away from the car for more than 10 hours or so, I disconnect it. I think they have a 12 ah rating. So far one season and its going strong.

I'd also buy the alien motion, I think the cells are better than ballistic, although they are virtually the same battery.

·
shay2nak
24,930 Posts
ive had my voltphreaks for.... like, ~6 years with no issues. and it sits for up to a month with never being touched. btw - i NEVER try to put a maintainer on it. i latterly never touch it - except to turn it on. it last about 2 weeks before shutting off.
which model do you have?

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
which model do you have?
i bought a 4.5lb for 450 dollars used, a year later voltphreaks contacted me and offered a free upgrade, to all the over/under voltage protection and cut off. so its got that in it since.

I'm waiting for it to die.... but it just keeps going!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I had a 12 and 16 Ballistic. They work good for a while. I went back to the Odyssey 640.
Ballistic won't warranty anything. I had a brand new Ballistic 12 spare on the shelf for a while. It was at 6 volts when I went to use it. It wouldn't charge ( no surprise ). I have the special Ballistic Litho charger. I don't think Litho's can handle minor abuse.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I bought a 16 cell ballistic and its offered me no problems. If I'm going to be away from the car for more than 10 hours or so, I disconnect it. I think they have a 12 ah rating. So far one season and its going strong.

I'd also buy the alien motion, I think the cells are better than ballistic, although they are virtually the same battery.
I suppose I should invest in a batter disconnect switch.

Any suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
for what its worth this will be my next battery...

Amazon.com: Shorai LFX36L3-BS12

I cant believe it hast been posted in this thread yet

only 5 pounds & well over 2x more CCA's than my current pc680 (which has been flawless thus far)

cant beat that overall value for the price (about $300)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have. RLS used to service the batteries. But apparently, due to some business snafu do not have access to the original cell supplier anymore. Thomas is going to see about procuring more cells, but it's not looking likely. Which sucks because I was one of the first to purchase the battery and it's still under warranty...

1 - 20 of 113 Posts