The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello it’s me your friendly Mai Mai. After changing the oil myself and getting door pulls recently from a lotus talk friend I’m on my way to another fix. Of course stupid me made a u turn in a driveway but it was up an incline and gouged my one chin!!! I’ll have to fix it with no do or something in the front. My clear bra is what’s holding it together. How should I fix the front part? I bought bondo resin. Not sure if it’s urethane. I’m thinking I’ll need to sand it down and then paint it. Then place on the chin guards. Sigh so mad and I feel stupid for doing that to her. She was almost pristine.

All the other threads were old. Anyone has suggestion where I can get chin guards and install?
Thank you.
Mai

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
When you say "chin guard" do you mean "splitter"? I have a splitter on my car mostly as a sacrificial part that can be scratched without damaging the clam itself. There are a variety of splitters out there, from flat pieces of material to some that are form fitted around the front of the car. You can see an example of the latter in the 5th picture here:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Hi Mai,

I damaged mine pretty bad back in the day. I ended up taking the clam off and putting fiberglass on the inside to repair it, although I had cracked mine back to the mounting screws underneath so it needed strength. Yours looks like its superficial on the outside so I think some filler and paint would be fine.

I bought the chin guards for mine but never fitted them and sold them with the car. They are clear so the plan was (as others did) was to paint the inside so if it scuffed, it didn't take the paint with it. They came with plastic rivets to mount it and I think it also required the edges to be sealed with silicone.

I got mine from @wallabyguy / thelotusgarage so maybe Robert can point you in the right direction or at least get you a part number.

·
Registered
2006 Polar Blue Lotus Elise
23 Posts
Hey Mai,

Sorry to hear that but it happens to the best of us who drive our cars. I think of it as historical battle scars. Happened to mine on some unfinished roadwork in the middle of the night last year. Had it repaired by a body shop stronger. I am getting a GRP Elise Front Lip Splitter to protect the entire front. Way cheaper to replace a scraped $300 splitter vs respraying and repairing fiberglass. It involves drilling holes in the underside though.

Mike

Attachments

Reactions: Mai Mai

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
SirLotus used to sell chin guards in the old days but not any longer as far as I know. GRP lip splitter is a good choice for your needs.

Reactions: Mai Mai

·
Premium Member
The Blue Meanie - 2006 Polar Blue Elise & Bernice - 2010 Chilli Red Mini Cooper S
1,888 Posts
My buddy @jdmdon may be able to help. He got some covers from a guy in England who bought the molds. He may be able to get you the contact info. But, they'll have to be painted and attached. They cover the chin all the way up to the grill.....

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
My buddy @jdmdon may be able to help. He got some covers from a guy in England who bought the molds. He may be able to get you the contact info. But, they'll have to be painted and attached. They cover the chin all the way up to the grill.....
Bought what molds?

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Mai Mai,

I've been driving my Elise for 13 years. I scuffed that area about once a year initially. My wife is less careful about inclines and now that we both drive the car, that sort of thing happens about 3 times a year. Getting that area of the car scuffed really bothered me at first but now I am quite used to it.

I have not fixed the "look" of that area from above, but I did fix the holes underneath with some Bondo. That works for adding strength. The pictures below show one side of the car but both sides were equally bad.

Good luck.

I guess this is one of those "as long as the husband puts out the garbage once a week, I don't care what he looks like" sort of things.:)

Sky Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car
Liquid Amber Orange Sky Wood

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Hi Mai,

I damaged mine pretty bad back in the day. I ended up taking the clam off and putting fiberglass on the inside to repair it, although I had cracked mine back to the mounting screws underneath so it needed strength. Yours looks like its superficial on the outside so I think some filler and paint would be fine.

I bought the chin guards for mine but never fitted them and sold them with the car. They are clear so the plan was (as others did) was to paint the inside so if it scuffed, it didn't take the paint with it. They came with plastic rivets to mount it and I think it also required the edges to be sealed with silicone.

I got mine from @wallabyguy / thelotusgarage so maybe Robert can point you in the right direction or at least get you a part number.
They reached out and I tried to point them in the right direction. Unfortunately, I didn't have any sitting here amongst all the other bits I'm unloading.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use these and they work great!

Grady these are great so was installation easy? But I already scraped mine in the bottom will it stay on you think???

I’m going to buy some. I swear we can all become shops for lotus!!!
I was sooo careful.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Mai,

Wow really? Gosh I should just show up and you can show me how Alan!!!

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mai Mai,

I've been driving my Elise for 13 years. I scuffed that area about once a year initially. My wife is less careful about inclines and now that we both drive the car, that sort of thing happens about 3 times a year. Getting that area of the car scuffed really bothered me at first but now I am quite used to it.

I have not fixed the "look" of that area from above, but I did fix the holes underneath with some Bondo. That works for adding strength. The pictures below show one side of the car but both sides were equally bad.

Good luck.

I guess this is one of those "as long as the husband puts out the garbage once a week, I don't care what he looks like" sort of things.:)

View attachment 1322008 View attachment 1322009
Thank you. Wow so you Bondo that spot? Looks great!. Mines scuffed bad. I’ll try to bondo it sand it paint it then put on those bumper guards Grady said to put on. I saw the video seems easy to put on. But until I do it I won’t know. I will need luck and a few weekends to finish this. And of course this happened before Watkins Glen event sigh.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When I first went to buy the car, the previous owner literally scraped it on the way to the bank. Don't sweat it.

This is a cheap solution for future protection--I am planning to do this. As far as I'm concerned, this is a consumable on the car:

·
Premium Member
The Blue Meanie - 2006 Polar Blue Elise & Bernice - 2010 Chilli Red Mini Cooper S
1,888 Posts
Bought what molds?
The molds for the chin gaurds. If that's what they're called. They cover the chin and go all the way up to the bottom of the front vent and to the wheel well. One for each side.

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
The molds for the chin gaurds. If that's what they're called. They cover the chin and go all the way up to the bottom of the front vent and to the wheel well. One for each side.
Do you have name and model? Looking to ID what you're talking about.

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
Reactions: ZookIniBob

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Do you have name and model? Looking to ID what you're talking about.
I don't. I'll reach out to brother @jdmdon and have him shoot a pic for me and send the contact info. Will post once that stuff comes through.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts