The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at Lotus USA Clyde told us to make sure to use 5W40 and that the Elises come with Havoline Synthetic. I did some research and found that Mobil1 doesn't make a 5W40 but Amsoil and Redline does. What do you guys think if these oils? What would/will you use?

Does anyone know the oil change intervals also? TIA:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
i'll probably go with the thinest oil i could find like 0w20. the engine is basically new and of course i have to use a conventional oil for break in then switch to synthetic after. just my opinoin.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to my knowledge, and I could be wrong, it comes with 5W40 synthetic. I was pretty much told that I had to use 5W40 or they would void my warranty. I could be wrong or misunderstood something along the line. Im just trying to find the best 5W40 out there.

·
Registered
643 Posts
If it comes with synthetic, I'd stick with it at this point.

You can't go wrong with either Redline or Amsoil. Some auto parts chains are carrying Redline, making it a little easier to come by.

Jim

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I checked the Mobil1 web site, and they recommend the 5W-30 for the Celica GT-S. I would personally prefer to use the visosity specified by the manufacturer. The only downside of Red Line is that it's quite expensive, otherwise I haven't heard anything but good things about their products (except that their gear oils don't work well in some transmissions because they can be too "slippery").

Some people also swear by Royal Purple, but they don't list a 5W40.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
00 scrub said:
Mobil 1 does make a 5w-40 weight oil.
Their web site only lists: 0W-20, 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-50 for the regular Mobil 1. They list a 5W-40 "Truck and SUV Formula".

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
In Europe, 5W-40 is more common and available than it is here. Toyota suggests 5W30 for the 2ZZ-GE Celica GT-S. Mobil 1 has a 0W-40 that is used by Porsche and AMG and Vettes as factory fill. I think that Lotus is concerned about the high load/high rev conditions hence they added a 29 pound oil cooling system to the car (this is almost as much as the AC system!). Maybe new light will be shed on the matter in the future.

BTW that Mobil 1 0W-40 was a dyno champ out of 10 oils when tested in a WRX. Castrol's 10W-60 also did quite well, surprising in that the extra viscosity increases pumping losses. BMW uses that oil to protect the latest high RPM M motors.

In the mean time use exactly what Lotus suggests.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
From this thread:

From page 153 of the manual:

"For topping up purposes during the running-in period prior to the First After Sales Service, a top quality mineral or semi-synthetic 5W/40 oil should be used. At the First After Sales Service and the completion of the running-in period, a full synthetic 5W/40 oil such as Texaco Havoline Synthetic should be used. This oil has been tested in all climatic conditions likely to be encountered, and offers advantages in ease of cranking, smooth cold running and fuel economy at low temperatures, in combination with good wear protection at elevated temperature and at high engine speeds. If Texaco/Havoline products are not available, an oil meeting the following specification should be used.

NOTICE: Note that Lotus does not recommend the use of any oil additives and use of such additives may invalidate the terms of you car's warranty."

Dino oil for the break in, synthetic after that...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
When it comes to my own oil changes I'll use 5w50 for the extra protection under load. That grade has done well for me in all my track cars for the last decade.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Mobil 1 5w-40 truck and SUV is safe to use in the Elise. It is a VERY good oil. It is infact a rebadged Delvac 1 which is a Diesel oil. The oil is very heavy duty and is made to work under high load and high temperature conditions. It should meet all specs that Lotus call for (API cert etc.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
When Ferrari of Denver did my first service they used Shell Helix Ultra 5w40, a full synthetic oil recommended by Ferrari. Heck, if it's good enough for Michael........

Richard Fogg

·
Registered
643 Posts
See if you can get some of Michael's special lightweight fuel, too...! ;) Seriously, I would bet that it has more to do with sponsorship than quality of the oil.

If you're really dedicated to finding the best oil for your application, you'll have to send samples off for analysis. I know guys who are getting >10k miles between oil changes by sampling regularly.

Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm sure it is a sponsorship deal, and I'll bet it isn't any better that other "brand name" synthetics. Since many Lotus dealers are also Ferrari dealers I thought it might be a comfortable, easy way for Elise owners to just drop off their car for an oil change without wondering if the dealer had the correct weight quality synthetic in stock. On the other hand, my Elise is definitely faster now with Ferrari oil....:D

Richard Fogg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts