The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some choices if i were to run 15/16 ?

I was looking at the rota slipstreams, and team dynamic 1.2 but i dont really like the looks of those wheels for the exige s

anything similar in price?

i wanted to avoid 15/16 because i love how 16/17 looks, i do track the car and because of the 16" front my options for a lot of tires were taken out (ra1, nt01),

i want to stray away from the r888 as it doesnt last as long as the ra1 or nt01,
worst comes to worst i will just have to go back to street tires.. z1 starspecs..
r1r isn't ideal for track since they overheat easily

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
The Rota slipstreams have been on backorder from Rota for close to a year now and the unofficial word is that they will no longer offer any wheels for the Lotus in 15/16.

Team Dynamics does not offer a 16" to fit the rear and the width is only 7".

The Ethos wheels from Sector 111 look really good but the 16x8's for the rear seem to no exist. I've been waiting for them to be in stock since spring and have all but given up.

So.........not much in the way of options in the 15/16 for the Elise that I know of unless you can find a used set. It's too bad really as the tire sizes available are really good for solo or track use. I have some Rotas in the 15/16 that I got a few years back and I'm running 225/45-15 in front and 245/45-16 in the rear and the grip is very good.

Good luck.

dave

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^
thanks

yea sadly finding the right front tire size in 16" is hard
and finding budget 15/16 wheels now are hard too

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
lots of interesting options in 15 / 17 combo, though I have never tried it myself

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yea there arent any good inexpensive 15/16 combos available. The Rotas are not available, and I've heard the Ethos are not easy to get a hold of either.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
i didn't like the look of the rota's before purchasing them but i bought them anyway because i decided i MUST have 15/16's. After receiving them and running 245's in the rear I have to admit they have really grown on me and i like them a lot now... better than LSS as far as looks imho (which is what the car came with)... the fat spokes compined with the extra sidewall gives a really nice beefed-up look to the car... especially on the rears.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
my recollection from reading here is that people who run SJ Legerro's up front (et25) can't run any wider than 205's up front without aftermarket tweaks to run more camber at the least... so you're gonna have to stretch that tire pretty hard to get a 205 onto a 8" rim. sounds like too much compromise even if it all fits otherwise... who knows if you're have interference on other stuff like brakes or suspension arms?

Eventually Sector 111 should have the 16x8's for the rears and then you can do their 15x7 and 16x8 set-up but i don't like matte black and i now like the chubbier spoke look than the skinny spoke look of their rims so it'd be my second choice aesthetically (once the get the rears available). You could do their 15/17 combo if you like... people seem to like that for tire choice, but i bent a rear rim so i would rather run 16x7 up front and 16x8 on rear than than a 15/17... at least for my street purposes. If it's a track car i can only guess the 15/17 imay be a better way to go.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
my recollection from reading here is that people who run SJ Legerro's up front (et25) can't run any wider than 205's up front without aftermarket tweaks to run more camber at the least... so you're gonna have to stretch that tire pretty hard to get a 205 onto a 8" rim. sounds like too much compromise even if it all fits otherwise... who knows if you're have interference on other stuff like brakes or suspension arms?
a 205/50 will have very minimal stretch & should fit pretty square on a 15x8...

here is a comparison on some 6ul's

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Like the 15s on all 4 concept. I've been toying with this idea for a while...

6UL 15x8 with 205/50 or 225/45 up front. The 6uls are +36 so they should fit right on with no mods in the front.

The TD 15x7s are +30 and they fit real nice with or w/o a .190" spacer. Doing the math, a 15x8 with +36 and no spacer will end up in about the same place as the 7" +30 w/ .190 spacer. That might rub a wee bit at lock to lock, but that's not a big deal.

.... The TD 17x8s are +36/38 (depending on 1.2 or 1.4) and fit great with a .190" spacer. The 6UL 15x8s are +36. So obviously, they'll bolt right on with or w/o spacer. For many, a 225/45 in back *OR* what I'm probably going to run this year: 6UL 15x10 (they're +42) with 275/35 in back with .5" spacer (my rear clam is flared). Hoosier A6/R6 for tires... I have to stay with DOT tires and I have to stay at 275 or under for tire (NASA TT1)...

In both cases, these 15" wheels are only 13.X lbs. That's about 5lbs less than the average 17x8 and 8-10lbs less than the average 17x9/10:up:

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i dont mind running 6UL at all

but just havent had any clarification from people who have actually ran tham with success

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
i dont mind running 6UL at all

but just havent had any clarification from people who have actually ran tham with success
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/new-6ul-race-wheels-949-racing-96610/

one of the guys over at 949 posted this thread a while back about offering the 6ul in elige sizes... but based on the delays its probably still ways away...

I personally would consider 6ul's once they offer a 15/17 combo for the elige

it'd be nice if they offered a 16" size too for those of us who want to save a little weight in the rear or stay with factory sizing in the front

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
I replied in the other thread as well, adding here...

The Enkei PF01 in 15 would work. It has clearance for the calipers. It's a +35 offset, so again, a PNP wheel in 8" for the rear.

The front would need a .25" (6mm) spacer for either their 7 or 8" option, as they're both +35. I'd run a 10mm spacer on the front. BWR sells spacers...

The Enkeis are just over $220 at most places as well... They weigh 12ish pounds and you'll have good tire selection in 15"... Interestingly, the PF01 has a very similar spoke design as the 949 wheel so it would be easy to mix and match the black ones without folks noticing... That's handy if you wanted to run the 9 or 10" wide 949 rear wheel with the Enkei PF01...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts