The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think wet track probably helped with positive review too. I remember some people getting triggered with Evo magazine track review and host talking about understeer. The rain with lower limit probably diminished a lot of understeer/etc. But regardless I think those who got disappointed with Evo review don't clearly understand what Base/FE Emira is.

Emira and none performance varient Lotus begins with compliant suspension for the road while providing the engaging (and communicative) driving feel... And priority on the road could mean that car is compromised for track (like some V6 Lotus having soft rear suspension... Notchy transmission engagement point could be annoying for fast shifts at track but feels amazing during road driving)

I think Chris Harris clearly showed that aspect of the car well, showing how engaging and communicative the car is with the driving sequence that showed more playful driving than serious one.

And for those who are comparing it with GT4 and keep bringing up Emira being less track capable in FE/Base trim form... Of course it is, but that is beside the point. (And I honestly dont think people who do time-attack/track day would come here and whine after watching review. They probably would a) wait for the performance trim or b) try to fix it (by adding tire/roll bar etc))

Also, my friend just picked up new GT4 and while I was driving it, I couldn't get over how lifeless steering felt - and this is true for even car like 991 911 GT3RS. Not to mention harsh ride quality compare to Evoras.

For most people who would use Cayman/Emira to carve public/canyon road and occasionally go to track, Emira is probably better choice due to communicative/engaging chassis and compliant ride. (oh I forgot to mention stupid gear ratio in GT4. I think I was over 80 in 2nd gear in new GT4)

Although I haven't driven one, my only gripe over Emira is 6750rpm redline, but I bet lotus tuner would fix that day one and raise the redline to 7k.

okay rant over.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Of all the reviews, this one is arguably the most important and would garner the most views.

Finally someone that understands what this car is all about

Reactions: Lotus64

·
Registered
111 Posts
Glad to hear he liked it. So very different from Jethro’s opinions on the same track, and I value each of their opinions equally. Would have been nice to know what setup the car had.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The Harris segment is nothing more than an opinion piece and a jaded one at that. When are we going to get an actual test? Doesn't even mention which setup.
What I am hearing is, in his heart he chooses Emira, in his head he might just choose Cayman. He could just as well said "Just look how much fun I am having hooning around rooting for the underdog and the home team."
I just can't get over the fact that adding two hundred (or more) pounds of "road hugging" weight makes for a better driving experience.
As another stated, the opinion may have been buoyed by a damp track.
Besides subjective looks and a modernized interior how does Emira even beat Evora GT? Does Evora not have an equally compliant ride on British B roads, same steering feel, same shifter but more power and less weight? How is Lotus moving the bar forward with the FE besides accoutrements?
I have little doubt Emira has a more "connected" feel to the road and the Porsche seems more sedate and bland but that doesn't make the Lotus better. It might mean the Porsche is so good you don't notice how good it is. It's too effortless, too good. Add some kickback to the steering, notchiness to the shifter, roughness to the drivetrain and what do you get?
Make no mistake, I am a Lotus fan and have never owned a P product. Just trying to see through the bias.
None of this mattered in the past with Evora because they weren't competing so directly with Porsche but they seem to be now.
Certainly the Emira could be considered more fun to drive. I get it. But how is it better other than perhaps looking pseudo-exotic? Does improving performance even matter? Apparently not. Just "feelings" on bumpy British B roads.
But then as he pulls out onto the track he says that's not enough. "Lotus history, it's very DNA is racing" and he proceeds to go round with the tail wagging out.
This is hardly a definitive review to base ones decision on.
Hey Chris, "Where's the beef"?
Enough of these puff pieces. I await the more objective testing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Certainly the Emira could be considered more fun to drive. I get it. But how is it better other than perhaps looking pseudo-exotic?
What more is required? It's more fun to drive, more exclusive and exponentially better looking. Not to mention the cayman lives in the 911's shadow. If someone doesn't want any weight, they should get a motorcycle. Objective data is not what makes something great.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Exactly. The mistake some seem to be making is trying to view and evaluate the Emira objectively, and it's not an objective car. It's very much a subjective car, which is what you're seeing in the reviews from Harry and Chris. It's not going to be perfect, and it's not going to appeal to everybody, but isn't that the very essence of a Lotus? Or an Alfa Romeo? These cars have an emotional aspect to them that either appeals to you or it doesn't.

There will be aftermarket steering wheels for those who don't like the factory wheel, there will be aftermarket exhausts for those that want more noise or a different type of sound, there will be aftermarket light-weight seats, and undoubtedly there will be aftermarket carbon fiber panels available for those that want to remove weight. Aftermarket is always the way individuals customize a mass manufactured car that isn't exactly what they wanted.

What Harry and Chris have shown is the Emira is a fun car to be in and drive, and for a lot of people, that's exactly what they're looking for.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The number of people writing off the Emira on a Lotus forum is baffling. No one has said it's a bad car. Just that the Cayman is a hard car to beat performance-wise. If that is the proxy on what gets your money, buy a subjectively boring Cayman or Corvette. Performance matters but I figure if I'm spending $100k, exclusivity and design also matter which are areas the competition lacks. If performance is the end-all, be-all, we wouldn't be seeing Lamborghinis on the road when faster alternatives from Ferrari or McLaren or Porsche exist.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Would have been nice to know what setup the car had.
What suspension setup was it? I'm guessing Tour.
Looking at it again on a bigger screen, you can see it has Cup 2 tires in a close-up, so theoretically it has the sport suspension. But it is not a FE car, and it has silver badging with the full black pack. Can't tell if it has KEF and/or power seats; perhaps it does not have the LSD, which would reduce understeer. At the very least, it looks like an earlier prototype than the other UK journalists drove. Did Lotus give him a ringer?

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
The best cars handle the BEST in the wet just as the greatest drivers are the best rain drivers.............food for thought. That goes almost without exception.

Reactions: brightoncorgi

·
Registered
478 Posts
The difference between Emira vs Evora could be akin to the difference in handling feel/engagement between C7 Stingray vs Grand Sport (same engine, more weight, wider track like Emira). Except C7 GS costs more whereas Emira costs less with a bit less HP or same HP as Evora 400.

Reactions: Lotus64

·
Registered
Emira on order
2 Posts
If performance is the end-all, be-all, we wouldn't be seeing Lamborghinis on the road when faster alternatives from Ferrari or McLaren or Porsche exist.
Yes, exactly that. I had a GT3 Touring and manual pre-LP Gallardo and the sound of them was more than half of what I loved. The GT3 motor at 9K is amazing, but the pre-LP v10 noise is on a different level of spine tingling. The GT3 was better in every other way, but, how shall I say this... I couldn't use it all on a fun twisty road with any resemblance of sanity or responsible behavior, and I don't get to the track often enough. I'm hopeful that the Emira handling is on the GT3 level with a great sound and a lesser pace that I can enjoy more of.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, exactly that. I had a GT3 Touring and manual pre-LP Gallardo and the sound of them was more than half of what I loved. The GT3 motor at 9K is amazing, but the pre-LP v10 noise is on a different level of spine tingling. The GT3 was better in every other way, but, how shall I say this... I couldn't use it all on a fun twisty road with any resemblance of sanity or responsible behavior, and I don't get to the track often enough. I'm hopeful that the Emira handling is on the GT3 level with a great sound and a lesser pace that I can enjoy more of.
Hope you still have that manual gallardo! Those manual supercars seem to be more liquid than dollars these days ha. I’ve been fortunate enough to have both the McLaren 12C and Murci LP640 and though I miss the usability and surprising reliability of the McLaren, the slower more exciting car is what remains in the garage today.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Guys, its Harris Certified.... Lotus cracked me up with this post.... like "Seeeeee, it's still a good car cause Harris approves..." Makes me think they were sweating Bullets with all these negative reviews.

Reactions: ajag and brgelise
1 - 20 of 42 Posts