The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up my Chrome Orange on Saturday morning from Criswell's. Base model. No Touring. No Hardtop. No LSS. Star Shield. Chrome Orange.

No pictures yet.

Impressions after the first 71 miles.

It is really hard to drive this thing "gently". The car wants to go! I have been using no more than about a quarter throttle and shifting below 4,500 RPM, and I still pull away from other cars at the traffic lights. I can't wait until I get past the break-in period.

Great sound. No need for a louder exhaust. Bit of a droning sound when decelerating using engine braking - but not bad at all - just a bit more than I expected. Then again, my Elan rips, snorts, and farts doing the same thing.

It really stands out. The orange is a lot brighter orange than I was expecting, but I still like it. My wife lost me in traffic on the way home, and checked her mirrors and immediately noticed me two lanes over and about eight car behind. The orange stands out in traffic, which is why I picked the color - "Hey see me! Don't hit me!!!".

People stare at the car. Honking horns with :up:. Passengers staring with their noses pressed up to the windows. Kids crashing their scooters as they stare at the car. Hope the police to pay attention to it...:huh:

The car drives fantastic. Think about moving the steering wheel, and the car goes there. Felling is just right. The suspension is firm, but compliant. I normally drive an "R Package" Miata, which has the factory stiff, "racing" suspension. The Elise is about the same, only much more compliant over the bumps and minor pot holes - I steer around the bigger ones. The road bumps are not a big deal.

I haven't pushed it yet, but it feels great. I drove it on some windy "country" roads (just to put some miles on it), and it was great. Much more relaxing than doing the same in the Miata - my wife even enjoyed it, and she really doesn't like riding in the Miata.

The cockpit is cramped. You do have to be friendly with the passenger.

The view while driving was a bit unexpected for me. The body drops away in the middle - I don't even see the radiator vents, just the road at the bottom of the windshield. The fenders (wings) however, rise up on both sides. Great View.

The rear view was a bit strange. Looking in the mirror, I saw an orange box around a tiny window out the back - you see the rear of the car on the bottom, and the hoop around the rest. Actually got used to this fairly quickly, but at first, the bright orange was noticeable.

Did I say that it's hard to drive this thing gently? It is. Keeping the revs low and varying the speed, is really difficult to do - I just want to floor it and go.:rolleyes: It has plenty of power down low, and even without going much above 4,000 RPM and using less than a quarter throttle, it pulls away from the other cars at the traffic lights.

I have to remove my wallet to sit comfortably in the seat - I guess my butts too big. I have this same problem with my '72 Elan. Once in the seat, it's great. Very comfortable, at least to me. Absolutely no sliding around with the cloth seats. The seat belt is a bit awkward the first time. The receptacle doesn't stick straight up like on other cars - it actually seems to stick out slightly from under the seat, but it was only awkward the first time.

My wallet fits nicely in the little "cubby" next to the steering wheel. Besides the little "cubby" under the start button, there is an area on each side of the steering wheel where you can put "things" (the one on the right is the area on the "shelf" between the steering wheel and the ventilation controls. I also have to remove my cell phone when I climb in.

Climbing it is a good way to describe it. I haven't developed a graceful way of doing it yet. I don't think I'll ever get in the car with the top on - I have a rare bone disease that has fused several of my neck and upper back vertebrae together, so I don't bend very well. I guess I'll just have to drive with the top off. And if it's raining, I'll have to open that side, get in, and pull the top into position while seated.

Did I say that it was great to drive?. Smooth, easy. It cruised around corners that would have been pushing it in my Miata, and I wasn't pushing at all.

I read the manual. Good information in there, but lots of federally required warnings. They even have a couple of places where they strongly indicate that they only have the information there because it's required. Noticed quite a few typos in the manual, but then who cares - Lotus makes cars, not documents. They even had a "tag" attached to the shifter warning me that the safest place for kids is in the back seat...:huh: Again, it's required, even if it doesn't apply. Had them in my pickup truck too...

There really is a glow-in-the-dark inside the trunk release in the thing. I guess it's also a federal requirement.

There is no tire pressure monitoring system - I expected it with the ABS system, but they didn't add that "feature". I don't think I'll miss it.

I didn't notice any rattles from my manual windows. Glad I didn't get the power windows.

My right rear turn signal quit working. I'll check tonight to see if it's the bulb, loose connection, or something else. If that's the extent of any problems, I'll be very happy.

Did I say it was orange? And gets seen a lot?

I'll try to take some pictures soon, but in the mean time, :D :D

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Congratulations Tim - waiting for some pics and a full report! Mine will be here sometime this century I'm sure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good to hear about an Orange

car delivered.

Good luck Tim. I am awaiting my car in orange also. Just can't wait, hopefully I'm thirty days away.

Please post and pics you can. I can't wait to see it in person!

P.S.

Maybe you need to just empty out all that cash in your wallet and then it will fit. I'm sure this new purchase will help do that.:)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Good to hear about an Orange

Z3convert said:
Maybe you need to just empty out all that cash in your wallet and then it will fit. I'm sure this new purchase will help do that.:)
What cash? I just bought the car...

By the way, I forgot to mention in the first post.

The horn is pretty loud. Not semi truck loud, or even Buick loud, but a lot louder than my Miata's original horn, and even louder than our Accord's horn. I was surprised - I was expecting a weak "meep, meep" not a fairly strong "HONK".

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
So, Chrome Orange people....does it really look good? I keep seeing pics but they all look different to me. I think it looks super! But in person does it look super duper? :)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OneFastMiata said:
So, Chrome Orange people....does it really look good? I keep seeing pics but they all look different to me. I think it looks super! But in person does it look super duper? :)
I think I might be the only one so far.

You are correct, all the pictures look different, and none seem to capture the color very well - although my wife says the pictures in the Road & Track looked the closest.

The color is more Orange than I expected. It really stands out. The metallic in the paint is very fine, and very subtle. I like it, but you will be noticed. That's why I picked the color - to be seen by all the SUV/cell phone users around here...

But you might not want the color if you are really shy. My wife doesn't like driving around in the Miata because she feels that everyone is "looking" at us, but in the Elise she felt less visible because of the hoop behind you. People do stare at it however. Partly because of the car, and partly because of the color.

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
970 Posts
TimMullen said:
I picked up my Chrome Orange on Saturday morning from Criswell's. Base model. No Touring. No Hardtop. No LSS. Star Shield. Chrome Orange.

No pictures yet.

Impressions after the first 71 miles.

It is really hard to drive this thing "gently". The car wants to go! I have been using no more than about a quarter throttle and shifting below 4,500 RPM, and I still pull away from other cars at the traffic lights. I can't wait until I get past the break-in period.

Great sound. No need for a louder exhaust. Bit of a droning sound when decelerating using engine braking - but not bad at all - just a bit more than I expected. Then again, my Elan rips, snorts, and farts doing the same thing.

It really stands out. The orange is a lot brighter orange than I was expecting, but I still like it. My wife lost me in traffic on the way home, and checked her mirrors and immediately noticed me two lanes over and about eight car behind. The orange stands out in traffic, which is why I picked the color - "Hey see me! Don't hit me!!!".

People stare at the car. Honking horns with :up:. Passengers staring with their noses pressed up to the windows. Kids crashing their scooters as they stare at the car. Hope the police to pay attention to it...:huh:

The car drives fantastic. Think about moving the steering wheel, and the car goes there. Felling is just right. The suspension is firm, but compliant. I normally drive an "R Package" Miata, which has the factory stiff, "racing" suspension. The Elise is about the same, only much more compliant over the bumps and minor pot holes - I steer around the bigger ones. The road bumps are not a big deal.

I haven't pushed it yet, but it feels great. I drove it on some windy "country" roads (just to put some miles on it), and it was great. Much more relaxing than doing the same in the Miata - my wife even enjoyed it, and she really doesn't like riding in the Miata.

The cockpit is cramped. You do have to be friendly with the passenger.

The view while driving was a bit unexpected for me. The body drops away in the middle - I don't even see the radiator vents, just the road at the bottom of the windshield. The fenders (wings) however, rise up on both sides. Great View.

The rear view was a bit strange. Looking in the mirror, I saw an orange box around a tiny window out the back - you see the rear of the car on the bottom, and the hoop around the rest. Actually got used to this fairly quickly, but at first, the bright orange was noticeable.

Did I say that it's hard to drive this thing gently? It is. Keeping the revs low and varying the speed, is really difficult to do - I just want to floor it and go.:rolleyes: It has plenty of power down low, and even without going much above 4,000 RPM and using less than a quarter throttle, it pulls away from the other cars at the traffic lights.

I have to remove my wallet to sit comfortably in the seat - I guess my butts too big. I have this same problem with my '72 Elan. Once in the seat, it's great. Very comfortable, at least to me. Absolutely no sliding around with the cloth seats. The seat belt is a bit awkward the first time. The receptacle doesn't stick straight up like on other cars - it actually seems to stick out slightly from under the seat, but it was only awkward the first time.

My wallet fits nicely in the little "cubby" next to the steering wheel. Besides the little "cubby" under the start button, there is an area on each side of the steering wheel where you can put "things" (the one on the right is the area on the "shelf" between the steering wheel and the ventilation controls. I also have to remove my cell phone when I climb in.

Climbing it is a good way to describe it. I haven't developed a graceful way of doing it yet. I don't think I'll ever get in the car with the top on - I have a rare bone disease that has fused several of my neck and upper back vertebrae together, so I don't bend very well. I guess I'll just have to drive with the top off. And if it's raining, I'll have to open that side, get in, and pull the top into position while seated.

Did I say that it was great to drive?. Smooth, easy. It cruised around corners that would have been pushing it in my Miata, and I wasn't pushing at all.

I read the manual. Good information in there, but lots of federally required warnings. They even have a couple of places where they strongly indicate that they only have the information there because it's required. Noticed quite a few typos in the manual, but then who cares - Lotus makes cars, not documents. They even had a "tag" attached to the shifter warning me that the safest place for kids is in the back seat...:huh: Again, it's required, even if it doesn't apply. Had them in my pickup truck too...

There really is a glow-in-the-dark inside the trunk release in the thing. I guess it's also a federal requirement.

There is no tire pressure monitoring system - I expected it with the ABS system, but they didn't add that "feature". I don't think I'll miss it.

I didn't notice any rattles from my manual windows. Glad I didn't get the power windows.

My right rear turn signal quit working. I'll check tonight to see if it's the bulb, loose connection, or something else. If that's the extent of any problems, I'll be very happy.

Did I say it was orange? And gets seen a lot?

I'll try to take some pictures soon, but in the mean time, :D :D

Tim Mullen

HLA 27 + ankylosing spondylitis???

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Chrome Orange delivered Saturday.

mact3333 said:
HLA 27 + ankylosing spondylitis???
:confused: :confused: :shrug:

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Tim, think he was referring to this comment:

" I have a rare bone disease that has fused several of my neck and upper back vertebrae together, so I don't bend very well. I guess I'll just have to drive with the top off. And if it's raining, I'll have to open that side, get in, and pull the top into position while seated. "

Ankylosing spondylitis, makes the Elise seats a bad fit for me. But I've got a work around.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Tim: You sound like a perfect candidate for the 'soon to be available this Fall' gull-wing from Sector111. The 'T' bar, permanently secured across the center
of the top opening from front to back,
allows each of the two 'easily removable' panels to swing upward, allowing entry/exit similar to when the car has no roof affixed. It is probably going to retail for about $2,500. The product is actually made by autostyle-solutions and you may be able to see photos of it at their site.
Also check Sector 111's site. P.S. - The
panels do fit in the trunk, not taking up much of the minimal space there.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Congrats Tim !!!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LarryB said:
" I have a rare bone disease that has fused several of my neck and upper back vertebrae together,
Ahhh... Sorry...

Nope. In my case, it's called "DISH" - Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hypertosis - I'm sure that it's not spelled correctly. Basically, I make too much bone, and the vertebrae grow together. Kind of the opposite of Osteoporosis. Nothing can be done about it, and nothing can reverse it.

It's not really that rare, but it's rather rare for someone my age (51). Usually, it's in the really old guys (80+). In my case, it severely limits the amount of movement of my neck, and causes a mild amount of chronic pain (that I've simply learned to live with). Not a big deal, but I look kind of funny when I try to look at the sky and have to arch my whole body trying to look up. Or when I'm trying to get into some cars, and can't bend my neck down and sideways like normal people...

I have considered the Gull Wing Hardtop, but that's kind of expensive for me. I park my car in a parking garage at work, so I can leave the top down, and in the garage at home. I'm not too worried about it. I'll see how I do, and start doing my "bending exercises" to see if I can limber up the rest of my body - who know maybe I can figure out a graceful way to get in the car yet. I've only had it for about 48 hours so far...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
643 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Absolutely. When I saw the tester at LOA, I was blown away. It is *very* bright, though...

Jim

·
Registered
970 Posts
TimMullen said:
Ahhh... Sorry...

Nope. In my case, it's called "DISH" - Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hypertosis - I'm sure that it's not spelled correctly. Basically, I make too much bone, and the vertebrae grow together. Kind of the opposite of Osteoporosis. Nothing can be done about it, and nothing can reverse it.

It's not really that rare, but it's rather rare for someone my age (51). Usually, it's in the really old guys (80+). In my case, it severely limits the amount of movement of my neck, and causes a mild amount of chronic pain (that I've simply learned to live with). Not a big deal, but I look kind of funny when I try to look at the sky and have to arch my whole body trying to look up. Or when I'm trying to get into some cars, and can't bend my neck down and sideways like normal people...

I have considered the Gull Wing Hardtop, but that's kind of expensive for me. I park my car in a parking garage at work, so I can leave the top down, and in the garage at home. I'm not too worried about it. I'll see how I do, and start doing my "bending exercises" to see if I can limber up the rest of my body - who know maybe I can figure out a graceful way to get in the car yet. I've only had it for about 48 hours so far...

Tim Mullen

Tim, glad you dont have ankylosing spondylitis cause that one is pretty debilitating and progressive....but causes same probs with the bones.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Tim,
Until yesterday I was still using the "step into the car and drop in" method with the top off. I tried the British gentleman's method from the video section and it works brilliantly. The only difference is that my right hand falls on the seat rather than the steering wheel.

Your mileage may vary do to the back, but hope that works. Getting in with the top isn't a bit problem. Have yet to perfect getting out.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Goose said:
Congratulations from me also, Tim. Excellent choice, by the way -- going with the "basic" car...
Actually it was an easy choice. I wanted the bare aluminum. I didn't want the electric windows. I expect to have the top off most of the time, so I didn't need the insulated top or the hardtop. I tend to listen to a couple of the the local radio stations and not CDs or anything else, so I didn't need the upgraded radio. I prefer the cloth seats (I'm glad they made the center cloth and the edges leather instead of the other way around as originally planned).

And not the least, I'm cheap, but I did spring for the extra cost of the Chrome Orange paint, and the Star Shield to protect it though... :)

Tim Mullen

1 - 20 of 69 Posts